Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your favorite sewing room idea >

Your favorite sewing room idea

Your favorite sewing room idea

Old 05-28-2010, 11:54 AM

I am in the planning process of turning my home office into a real sewing room and I was wondering what are some of your favorite ideas that you've used to organize yourself. My room is 10 by 10 with 2 windows. So I can't go with very big with tables, but other than that, I'm looking for "anything" so don't feel limited in giving advice. I love simple things, ordinary stuff turned into new ideas. I do not have a ton of stash (like some youtubes I've seen!), but I will probably begin to accumulate more once the sewing room is complete.
I will post Before pictures, as soon as I clean up my office clutter, and also After pictures when I'm all done and settled in. I can hardly wait.
Thanks, in advance! :mrgreen:
Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Tables with drop sides are great for smaller spaces. DB and I are planning a couple that the sides will drop down almost to the floor, and on two sides of the table :wink: I wanted floor space when that much table space isn't needed.

Cutting/iron tables can double in use. Padded mat on one side of the top for ironing, board on the other for laying cutting mats on :D:D:D
Old 05-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Pam

I have a desk with a finished 4x4 sheet of plywood attached with a piano hinge. Great for when you are machine quilting, drop the leaf down for piecing.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Both are great ideas and doubling up on the use of space is important to me. I swear we have a barn full of antiques that ought to get some use.... I'm sure I can find a table to suit these ideas.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:14 PM

I turned my guest bedroom into my sewing room. Last summer my hubby built be shelves in the closet. (He's wonderful). This was the best thing for my sewing room. I could organize my "stash" on the shelves within easy reach and color coded. The one thing I would like for a sewing room is it just needs to be twice as big. Storage in the main thing.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:15 PM

1. A design wall is a great idea and it takes up no floor space.

2. I bought some stacking rectangular baskets at Lowes (closet organizer dept) that I use for keeping the components of WIP projects organized. I think that's been very useful.

3. You mentioned that you have two windows. You might consider locating your machine work station in front of one of them, particularly if you have a good view. The extra light will certainly be helpful.

4. Since your room is fairly small, I agree you should consider double duty equipment (e.g. cutting and pressing).

5. If it's in the budget, use a small flat screen TV that you can put on a shelf up out of the way.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:21 PM

I definitely want a design wall, even if it's small. I hate laying things on the floor, but that is what I do now.

Cathie R.... is your hubby available for building my shelves? Mine is a farmer to the bone and DIY is not part of what he likes to do. ;-)
Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

A design wall.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cathie_R
I turned my guest bedroom into my sewing room. Last summer my hubby built be shelves in the closet. (He's wonderful). This was the best thing for my sewing room. I could organize my "stash" on the shelves within easy reach and color coded. The one thing I would like for a sewing room is it just needs to be twice as big. Storage in the main thing.
Yup, can no longer call it my hobby room. It is officially a storage room and I sew in the dining room. My DH is sooo good about letting this happen :-)

I label all my containers with some cute fonts and backgrounds. Helps make things easier to find.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM

For me, out of sight is out of mind, so does anybody have any solutions for keeping tools handy? My office desk will stay in the room so I have 3 long drawers that will soon be empty. The desk is large... 3 ft by 5 ft. This is where my machine will be.