Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite sewing room idea

Blog Entries
    can you post a picture of what you used, please

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaVA
    I have found the greatest little bins to hold FQs and smaller cuts of fabric - and I only paid a dollar for each. WalMart had some that were 2/$1.00 and Target had a bunch for a dollar each, and the Dollar Tree has them too. GREAT!
    I put them on my book case and I can see all my pretty fabric!

I use those 3M hooks to hang on my wall and I hung a large piece of flannel using binder clips for my design wall.

You have been given lots of great ideas!!!
    page three of this thread is where I have more currents shots of my studio...I still have more to do, but it is coming along....
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44879-3.htm

Don't be afraid to try and reject some things; it takes time to find what works for YOU!
    good luck!

The wooden box on the wall by your machine... does that hold thread? I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Melody
    The wooden box on the wall by your machine... does that hold thread? I like that!
    no, it is actually holding 2 oz craft paints...had hubby take two of those wire cube grids, and build a frame around them....

Blog Entries
    Hi there. Sounds like you are going to be a busy little beaver. Your room is nice. Seems like it will make a good sewing room. The casters are helpful to me. I have a couple shelves on the desktop (sewing table) against the wall. I keep my sewing brick a brack on them. I also have booties on my cutting table (pvc pipe from Lowes). If you want a photo let me know.
    Good luck, I am happy for you.
    Regards, Dorothy

Booties? yes, Dorothy, please send the pics.

That's a nice room! On the farm, we have lots of old wooden crates. I like yours painted like that. I don't have a closet in this room, wish I did. Many old farmhouses are known to lack closet space, and this room just isn't big enough to add one. But I can still work out a nice storage area, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    I like these ideas too, the idea of using old. I was hoping to find a table to cut into for my sewing machine but it is a under bobbin so the cut would have to be close to the edge and nothing obstructing the opening so I could get to the bobbin.

House is clean and waiting for weekend company to arrive. Surfing the net!! :D :D

Busy weekend here too. Lots of cooking to do in the morning, kids arriving in their campers, 9 grandkids (teenagers and older). So I will say goodnight and thank you all so much. I will check back on Monday. And when I have the sewing room finished, I will post the AFTER pictures, but that is going to take me a while! So much sorting and pitching to do.

Melody- Don't get rid of the big old school desk next to the window.

Worse thing I did when we moved here was to get rid of a big old oak school desk we had. What a mistake.

Maybe, once you take everything out of the room and then re-organize, you will see your room in different 'light'. Gather al of your sewing/quilting stuff and organize it into piles-tools, fabrics, trims, threads, etc. Then you can get a better picture of what needs to go where.

Enjoy your family weekend.

I definitely want a design wall, even if it's small. I hate laying things on the floor, but that is what I do now.

Cathie R.... is your hubby available for building my shelves? Mine is a farmer to the bone and DIY is not part of what he likes to do. ;-)
    I think I caught him at a weak moment. However, he might do it for chocolate pie.

For me, out of sight is out of mind, so does anybody have any solutions for keeping tools handy? My office desk will stay in the room so I have 3 long drawers that will soon be empty. The desk is large... 3 ft by 5 ft. This is where my machine will be.
    Hubby also added a peg board to one wall. That is great. I hang rulers, marking pens, rotary cutters, sissors, stencils, etc. on it. Very handy.

Okay, now how many of you have a kitty that loves to lay on your sewing table or on your stash for a comfy bed? I don't mind my cat coming into my sewing room while I am in there working but i don't want her making a habit of laying up on my table or fabrics. So I had to keep the door shut to my sewing room to keep my pets out. Well during the day it gets rather hot in my sewing room with the door shut but i need to keep it shut because of the animals...what to do...lol Hubby bought me a little window unit a/c but I only run it when i am in the sewing room. But still had the problem of it getting hot with the door shut. My stabilizer I use for machine embroidery got gummy with my thread breaking from gummed up needles. Well one day I said to my hubby...I need a screen door for my sewing room! A month later hubby brought me a screen door and took the other door off and put my new door on. It is soooo cool!! He painted the door and the screen PINK! It matches my room with the pink curtains and pink dresser! Well it works out great. The room is nice and cool with the a/c circulating thruout the house like it should and the pets can't get into my sewing room. I will take a pic of my screen door tomorrow and send it in. It is homemade of wood but looks really nice I think. My kitty is not so happy about it but that's life..lol My design wall, shop light hung from the ceiling and my screen door are my favorite ideas for my sewing room.

Blog Entries
    My dh made me a "half-door" on a hinge that blocks the bottom half of the doorway. It locks in place with a magnetic catch. My doggies don't go in my room, and the door is open for a/c and conversation. I just love it.

Hi Melody,

I Love my peg board and is one of my favorite components in my sewing room.

Pegboard is relatively inexpensive and you can buy it in white or brown. It comes in sheets that are 4 x 8 which can be cut down. Initially I had wanted to buy the brown pegboard (a tiny bit cheaper than the white), and paint the pegboard to match the wall color, but my husband advised me against it. He said the paint would get all drippy and go into the holes and not dry evenly, or block the use of the holes. So I splurged and got the white. DH made the nice oak frame from leftover wood he had from another home project.
    I bought a peg board supply kit for about $12 with tons of various hooks, racks, and containers. I've put to use less than half of the components in the kit. So I would say that was a good value too, and the remaining pieces are stored away for when I want to rearrange things on the board.

I have a brass mailbox on the pegboard, and it's the right size for commercially sold quilt patterns. I also tuck away little notes from recipients of the quilts I have given as gifts.

Also, I've put up a makeshift shelf (top right of first picture) from an acrylic ruler on two peg board shelf brackets. Right now, I'm displaying the thank you cards I've received from some wonderful people on this site with whom I've shared some fabric.

I've got a bag of chocolate handy on the countertop. Help yourself. :P

full view of pegboard
    Name:  Attachment-75169.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  54.2 KB

closer view
    Name:  Attachment-75170.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  65.6 KB

Jennie.... Oh, that is very nice! I like things to be close at hand that way. And little shelves on it too. Convenience and good prices.

And thank you for the chocolate. My favorite kind ;-)

Just love all the neat ideas. Everyone has different needs and it is interesting to see what people come up with to fill those needs. I think I finally have mine set up as well as it can be. I would love to get rid of the fireplace to have more wall space but that is something that is going to have to wait until I win the lottery. lol. It cannot be used so is just taking up space. I do have a bunch of plastic drawer carts on the hearth though and they hold all kinds of things.

Blog Entries
    I found a small rolling rack at a thrift store. I think it was made to go between or beside your washer and dryer. It is only about 24"H and 8"W, with 3 shelves. The top shelf has a tall glass with marking pencils, pens, straight pins, small sissors, things I use a lot. The 2nd shelf has thread, the third shelf has safety pins, bobbin holder, small plastic bag with cleaning brushes. It holds everything I use at both machines, and is so small and easy to move between my sewing machines and it only cost $.75!

I made 2 design walls out of 4'x8' foam insulation. The just stand against whatever wall I'm not using. They are light weight, and I can keep BOM's out where I can see them. Also I sandwich my quilts on my design boards because I am getting too old to get down an my hands and knees.

One thing I found out after years of quilting is........don't get plastic boxes that I cannot see through. I had many lovely blue boxes. Bought just because they were blue. Now I only have clear ones. Makes it so much easier to get fabric without checking each one.

Another thing is that I have pegboard on the wall. Scissors, rulers, thread and so many other things are stored there and not all over my table.

One thing not to forget is a nice big bulliten board. I can not imagine my space without one. I use it as a real tool . Everything gets put on it. Inspration photos/cut outs from magazines , templates, contacts for long arm quilting , Store hours of my favorite quilt shops, you name it its up there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ann clare
    A design wall.
    ditto on design wall; you can buy a portable one that can be closed and stored, if you don't have wall space.

I turned an old wooden TV table (had a flat surface) into an ironing board and keep it open with the iron on it next to my machine. It folds up if I need to.
    Layered a silver mettalic looking ironing fabric (can't remember what it's called), covered it with pillowticking that reached around to the back, tightened and stapled and voila.
    p.s. an industrial stapler as it's going through wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagny
    1. A design wall is a great idea and it takes up no floor space.

2. I bought some stacking rectangular baskets at Lowes (closet organizer dept) that I use for keeping the components of WIP projects organized. I think that's been very useful.

3. You mentioned that you have two windows. You might consider locating your machine work station in front of one of them, particularly if you have a good view. The extra light will certainly be helpful.

4. Since your room is fairly small, I agree you should consider double duty equipment (e.g. cutting and pressing).

5. If it's in the budget, use a small flat screen TV that you can put on a shelf up out of the way.
    Be careful about sewing in front of your window. Light dilates the pupils and can put a strain on your eyes. My eye doctor put me on to that one. I have a big picture window. When I take a break every hour, I fix a cuppa, relax and enjoy the birds (feeder outside window). Much easier on the eyes.

Banned
    forgot to say: I had special shades put on the quilt room windows. They block whatever rays discolour fabrics. Not cheap but worth looking into.

I use a peg board and hookson the wall. It is right where I sit and can reach all my tools. Is from the celing to the top of my sewing table. Make sure you put it on a frame first not flat on the wall. That way the hooks can go in.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast