Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Your method of butting batting together??

I like to use my large left-over pieces of cotton batting to use on another quilt. Other than butting them and zig-zagging, what other methods do you quilters use? I saw somewhere about using some fusible strips, but I can't remember where? Any suggestions as to what you do would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I like to zigzag them together... it works great for me :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I just butt them up together and pin the sandwich and then when quilting am careful to make sure that area gets stitched right.

Quote Originally Posted by misoop
    I like to use my large left-over pieces of cotton batting to use on another quilt. Other than butting them and zig-zagging, what other methods do you quilters use? I saw somewhere about using some fusible strips, but I can't remember where? Any suggestions as to what you do would be appreciated.
    I saw a new product at the quilt store yesterday made just for fusing batting together. I didn't buy it, as I rarely do this. Most of my quilts are long arm quilted, and she supplies the batting.

I just zig-zag them together.

I bought a roll of batting tape, it's a fusible tricot interfacing,1-1/2" wide. I used to cut interfacing into strips and do this but it's so much easier like this! It's so soft you can't tell it there. When I tried to zigzag I got tangled up in the feed dogs so I started doing it by hand which is a major pain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I bought a roll of batting tape, it's a fusible tricot interfacing,1-1/2" wide. I used to cut interfacing into strips and do this but it's so much easier like this! It's so soft you can't tell it there. When I tried to zigzag I got tangled up in the feed dogs so I started doing it by hand which is a major pain.
    I so hear you and when I try just to butt them up together with pins I get gaps. Whipping up with long stitches doesn't take too long. My luck with the fusible is to get the iron too hot and melt either the strips or the batting (even if it is cotton!) LOL

I just zig zag enough to keep it together.

I lay my two pieces together and over lap them about an inch. then I take the ruler and cut down thru the middle of the "overlap" then zigzag them together. It gives me two pieces that are perfectly straight when butted up against each other.

I sew them together by hand.

Speaking of fusing batting together..... someone gave me 3 bags of 90X109" fusible batting . I don't know if I want to use it on my frame. Has anyone used this type batting on a quilting frame with a machine? It seems stiff. I am thinking it would work well for those who do Quilt-As-you-Go blocks. I may put this up for grabs unless someone can convince me that it will work OK. I don't think it would be easy for a hand quilter to use. But I don't do that either!

June in Cincinnati

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by misoop
    Do sort of feather stitch ,works well.

Blog Entries
    I won a roll of the batting interfacing but haven't tried it out yet. (Been thinking of using it on my furniture where my cat's have shredded the fabric. They think it is their own personal scratching post)

So far I just use my egdejoing foot and zigzag them together. Works fine for me.

i have found the iron is a little price thread is cheaper so will still x mine to gether

Blog Entries
    i just bought a roll of fusible to do that with while at a class. otherwise i just get out thread and hand sew mine together.

I just use the zig zag method.

Blog Entries
    What I have done, lay both pieces, one on top of the other and make a clean cut through them both... then butt them up and zigzag them together. I found that works superbly :)

Blog Entries
    I got a roll of the fusible for batting pieces. it doesn't seem to stay on well and evidently is only good for a short time. until you sew it together one way or another.