Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quilt sandwich

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to sandwich a quilt other than on the floor? I have arthritis and have a hard time getting down and up from the floor.

I have a 6 x 2 ft table that I use. I cannot do the floor. it is easier for me I get it centered on the table then move left or right to pin.

If you have a friend to help you get it done in one day ask a local church or town hall if you can use thier tables in thier hall. I did this once before, we moved a bunch of tables together and pin basted in an afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to sandwich a quilt other than on the floor? I have arthritis and have a hard time getting down and up from the floor.
    I use to use my dining room table and it worked well.Now I only make lap size that fit on my quilting table.

If you can get your hands on Harriet Hargraves Heirloom machine quilting book she gives a good description with pictures on how to do it on a smaller table using those spring loaded vice grips. I did an 80" square quilt that way on my sewing machine table with the machine down in its little hidey hole and it worked pretty good. You baste an area, unclip then move it over and baste another section.

I used our square picnic table. Did the spray basting outside and it worked well. Hummmmm, now this may not be the case during winters around here!

Blog Entries
    I use a folding picnic table or my joanns' table. i use binder clips to hold it on the sides and baste with spray or pins, move it and clip again, etc.

Blog Entries

Banned
    Yes you can use a smaller table. Center the layers. Let excess hang over edge. This will help stretch the layers.
    Smooth and pin or needle baste. Then grab a side or end and pull the unpinned section over the top of the table.
    Continue this until the entire quilt is basted. You can baste a king size on a card table using this method.

Most quilting shops will let you use their classroom tables if they're not using them.

Banned
    another sentence.....
    pulling the layers over the table will help stretch it smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    I have a 6 x 2 ft table that I use. I cannot do the floor. it is easier for me I get it centered on the table then move left or right to pin.
    I do the same, only my table is smaller, but I still manage

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use the tables at work. Check with your guild or local quilt shops. Often, they have the facilities where you can use their tables.

Same here. I use my dining room table with the pad on and some times if necessary, I use masking tape under the table to help stretch the quilt.

I use our pool table with 4X8 sheets of styrofoam insulation on the top. That way it is the right height and I can poke straight pins into it to keep the layers taut while I pin baste.

great idea - thank you

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. They really help.

I use the island in my kitchen. It's not big enough to hold the whole quilt on top, so I lay everything out in the sandwich and start pinning from the center.

If you are close to me I'd help you then you could help me.
    I hate that part!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine

Blog Entries
    I have 2 of the folding 6' tables, I keep them behind my sofa. When I sandwich a quilt I just pull them out and set them up right over the coffee table. I can sit on a dining room chair and pin away - and it doesn't get pinned to the rug.!!

If using the Kitchen table can also put your cutting board or cardboard under the bottom layer so no poking the table top on accident, never thought about the falling layers helping with the stretch !! :)

awhile back i saw where a lady taped her backing to the wall, sprayed and smoothed batting over that, sprayed batting and smoothed top over it. she said it worked. if it's a big quilt, may have to have couple ladders and a helper.
    donna

I have a friend that put this wall up in her garage and doesn't hae to worry about spray. She loves it. I use those Command hooks and put my flannel up in the hallway, spray the quilts, then just remove the Command hooks (or leave them up, they are pretty high up on the wall). I put a sheet on the floor to get any falling spray. So much quicker and easier than crawling around on the floor -- and I'm getting too old to do that except for really large quilts. My group will also go over to our Hobby Lobby classroom, push the tables together and sandwich a number of quilts at a time.

I have a friend that baste my quilts on her longarm
    I have her quilt the ones that I give to grandchildren
    because they get used so much.

I have some padded table toppers (the thick ones that withstand heat. These are not my table size but larger than my table but are great to use for pinning and everything that needs a bigger surface. I believe I got them for free from someone that was tossing them. Perhaps GW or SavArmy would be a source. When done I just fold them up and push them behind something.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast