Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: quilt sandwich

Power Poster
    Try and purchase a cutting table that has folding sides that you can store easily and open when you need to cut.

If your local senior center has a craft/activities room they will usually let you use the tables betwen activities/classes.

my quilting angel and i use 3 light-weight doors that she "snaps together" on the wrong side and we lay it on the dining room table....she got some inexpensive hardware to connect them and got the doors from 'curbside recycling' (garbage picking...LOL)

I Always use tables placed together at our church hall. This is where our quilting group meet every Thursday. We use masking tape and pin. Works well for us. Bessie

Quote Originally Posted by bjesso
    I Always use tables placed together at our church hall. This is where our quilting group meet every Thursday. We use masking tape and pin. Works well for us. Bessie

Go to You Tube and watch Sharon Schambers video , I think it is actually called Basting the quilt. But she has a way to put the quilt sandwich together that will amaze you, so easy. I tried it, it was quick and I did not have a wrinkle in my backing and I hauled it on a 2500 mile trip and back and it held great. I did use her method of basting which I think is quicker than the other. You will never be on the floor again if you watch her.

Forgot to say, you do not need a huge table either.

i have gone to the church or civic center to use the tables sometimes when i dont feel like getting down on the floor, someone once told me there local quilt shop had a room that they could go there and use

great idea about the styrofoam insulation...i have a pool table too. this would be more flat...where did you buy yours???

Find a long table(s) at your church or club house, or somewhere. It will help if you "jack" up the legs by putting blocks or anything under the legs, to make it high enough that you don't have to bend your back.
    I could never get down on the floor (or get up) with my stiff joints!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a old pocket door I made into a iron board, it works great for sandwiching to. God bless.

Know anyone with a ping pong table?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    THE BEST.

LOL I meant using a ping pong table for sandwiching a quilt. It's got the area. I am checking out this website, thanks for sharing. And as always YouTube has many instructional videos we may be looking for as well.

Blog Entries
    I use either my Joann's table or the King Size Bed.

Blog Entries
    Sharon Shambler's method. No taping required http://www.plentifulpennies.com/2010/07/basting.html

This method uses simple boards that you keep moving as you baste. She shows using it on her dining room table. Clever!

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Betty
    I have a friend that baste my quilts on her longarm
    I have her quilt the ones that I give to grandchildren
    because they get used so much.
    How far apart does your friend baste the rows on the long arm? Does she then put the leaders on the other two sides to do it in the other direction?

My friend basted about 4 in. just one way
    I was so easy to quilt

That sounds wonderful,keep up the pretty work...

I called the fire station near my house. It has a community room. My husband and I go there, push tables together, spray and pin the quilt sandwich, wipe the table good, put the tables back and return home. All we need do is to call, reserve the room, and leave it cleaner than we found it. They love us.

Blog Entries
    I use the dining room table too.......we had a piece of heavy glass cut to the table top deminsions, so it doesnt damage the table, even when I am pinning...this way, you can sit in a chair and not have to get on the floor...and as the quilt hangs off the table, it seems to pull itselt tighter as you are pinning it..

There quilt frames available that can be used to sandwich & baste quilts to king size. I ordered mine from JoAnns online. It works great but my dad made one for my mom using long 4x4 poles(I think?) & c/clamps to baste & then we used a hoop to lap quilt.

Aloha,
    Lynn
    Pearl City, HI

i want to be where you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!! loved Hi...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3