Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your opinion on EQ vs. BlockBase >

Your opinion on EQ vs. BlockBase

Your opinion on EQ vs. BlockBase

Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 PM

Question Your opinion on EQ vs. BlockBase

Please give me your opinion of whether you prefer either Electric Quilt [5, 6, or 7] or BlockBase and why. TIA!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

EQ is a quilt design program. BlockBase is a collection of quilt blocks that can be viewed, but typically is used in conjunction with EQ. In other words, you add blocks from BlockBase into the quilt design program. EQ already comes with quite a few blocks; BlockBase just adds a whole lot more. Maybe this link will help:
http://electricquilt.com/online-shop...e/#tab-Details
Be sure to click on all the different tabs: Details, Features, etc.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 AM

Yep, Blockbase is just a collection of blocks. You can't design in it. It's more of an "add-on" for EQ. EQ is a big program, but once you've learned it, it's indispensable as a design tool. I have both programs, and can't tell you the last time I actually opened Blockbase. But I use EQ all the time.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
... I have both programs, and can't tell you the last time I actually opened Blockbase. But I use EQ all the time.
this is the same for me
Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 AM
Administrator

Blockbase will run without EQ.
it's both a stand-alone program and an add-in for EQ.

when used as a stand-alone, you can do a number of things with the blocks.
(see the details here: http://electricquilt.com/online-shop.../#tab-Features )

you can't make changes to the block designs.
you can only preview a quilt layout made entirely of one block.
so BB isn't useful if you want to design a whole quilt layout using anything other than one block.

i don't remember whether or not you can fiddle with the colors/fabrics using only BB.

BB by itself is worth every penny unless you want to design your own blocks and/or quilts.
if it fits into your budget, EQ and BB together are even better.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Please give me your opinion of whether you prefer either Electric Quilt [5, 6, or 7] or BlockBase and why. TIA!
i have had blockbase since it first came out in dos. when my son got me my first eq for christmas i was delighted w how smoothly the two progams integrated - after i also got the blockbase update on cd instead of floppy. over the years (i have eq6 now - want 7) eq has added more & more blocks to thier database of blocks, but blockbase, to me, is still an essential tool to use in conjunction w my eq software. also, blockbase is a block library, not a design program like eq. you can resize & print your block pattern templates, but you can't design an original block or design a quilt to use the blocks in. it is a reference tool. you don't have to do anything to integrate them so they work together. install and they "find" each other and you are good to go.

bottom line --- i would never use one w/o the other. the additional info on blockbase re: the blocks many names, approximate date of first use, origin or designer --well, being a history junkie of everything in the world, blockbase is too important to me not to have on my pc. i bought the book too, as soon as i read that it was available. ) directly from ms. brackman & it is signed. i am such a nerd...i was soooo thrilled w the fact that it was signed.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 AM

I would have been better off with BlockBase than EQ. The reason is that I'm not really into designing quilts. I take blocks already created (traditional or by others) and putting my stamp on it by color selection. Blockbase is based on older quit designs. If you want something more modern, it wont' have it.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I have all the quilt software programs on one laptop just for my sewing room. I use EQ7, Inklingo, and Foundation Factory the most. I rarely use Block Base as it isn't user friendly to me at all.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I say DITTO to everything stated above. EQ is the best quilt program. I have owned it since the mid 90s when I purchased it. I have the 5th edition and I am able to do almost everything that I want out of the program. No more drafting!! You can put patterns you see into the program and get reasonable instruction on making the blocks. I purchased a brand new EQ5 on this board for $25.00.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Thank you ladies for your input. I've had EQ4,5,& 6 and get totally frustrated with trying to design....I was thinking BB would be easier for me.........I've just gotten a new computer and can't find myEQ5 & 6 upgrades to reload so I thought maybe just buying BB would be the answer and less expensive. Lots to consider......Thanks again! Jennifer