Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: In your opinion

What is the best marking "item" for your quilts?

pounce?
    Pencils?
    tailors chalk?
    soap?
    something else?

Blog Entries
    I prefer soap slivers on dark fabric. Haven't found anything I really like for light fabrics.

chalk for dark fabric and disappearing ink markers for lights.

Blog Entries
    I use General Chalk pencils in white or gray. The marks wash out and they are inexpensive. Roxanne's pencils are good marking pencils. Those are the only two I use.

Still searching

soap slivers for dark fabrics, but for light ones, I use chalk, but don't really like to as sometimes the line is still slightly visible even after washing

Banned
    any time you use a pencil with chalk, i recommend wiping as much off after you quilt. Some use cotton t shirt fabric, terry cloth or a soft brush. I like the plastic brush yu get in the pet section of the store. what doesn't come off in the brushing then will wash out easier.

Blog Entries
    I use soap slivers on dark fabric and regular pencil, very lightly, on lights.

Blog Entries
    I use a plain old lead pencil (no.2, I guess)..it isnt too heavy a color, and it washes out (at least I think it does, I never see it later) and its cheap to use. (and I can always find one)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dogs
    I use a plain old lead pencil (no.2, I guess)..it isnt too heavy a color, and it washes out (at least I think it does, I never see it later) and its cheap to use. (and I can always find one)
    That is what I was taught to use and did for many years, now I tend to use dissappearing markers or water solubles, but sometimes I use my pounce and stencils. Just depends on the fabric I need to mark

So far my favourites are tailor's chalk for darks, and 'air-out' pens for lights. Although you can need to be swift with the pens - I marked up some fabric last night and it was gone by this afternoon (fortunately not a problem, but a bit quicker than I expected!!).

Love the new Frixion pens. They make a nice thin line and iron out beautifully. I understand the marks come back if your quilt is someplace that freezes, but is supposed to come out completely when washed.

regular blackboard chalk. Rubs off easily with a piece of batting or the Mr. Clean eraser type things (forgot the exact name). Box of chalk 99 cents at WalMart. I use a pencil sharpener to get a good point.

Blog Entries
    what ever comes out of the project i am working on- i use a pencil 95% of the time- the other times i am using chalk, or a pounce pad (if using stencils)
    i always test to make sure what i want to use is going to come out- it doesn't always no matter what it is.

I was taught to use a pencil, lightly, as well. So far so good.

I used a regular #2 pencil on a quilt over 20 years ago. After numerous washings, the pencil marks are still there. I have tried everything to get them out. So beware of pencils. They don't always wash out.

I use the water soluble markers. Have never had a problem with them. I don't use a lot of dark fabrics but when I do I use the white pencil for quilts.

I have had good success with the air out or wash out blue pens. I had a gray chalk that hasn't come out yet even with washing. Pounce is too messy for me and falls off the fabric. The Amish lady I watched quilt used a fine line from a lead pencil. I like the idea of the blackboard chalk sharpened. Might give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryQuilter
    Love the new Frixion pens. They make a nice thin line and iron out beautifully. I understand the marks come back if your quilt is someplace that freezes, but is supposed to come out completely when washed.
    I just read a couple of days ago that any heat or cold will bring the Frixion pen marks back. The manufacturer even stated that they do not encourage use on fabric, because the lines are always there - they don't go away... Don't think I'd use them to mark quilting...just saying....

All of the above.

I use pencil on the back side of light fabric or a marking pen if I need to mark the front. Tailors chalk for others.

Frixion gel pens for light fabrics-- the marks stay until you iron them away. And they REALLY work! Come in a variety of colors so there's plenty to choose from. For dark color fabrics I go back to my SewLine markers. The lines hold pretty well. One of my friends took a clover chaco marker removed their chalk powder and put in the pounce iron off powder. She says it marks fine and likes that it irons away when she's done. Since I still have plenty of refills for my Sewline, I haven't tried that yet.

I use all of them, depending on need. However, I also have a ceramic pencil and a silver pencil which show up best on dark fabrics and I think I use them the most.

Bohin marking pencil with different color leads that can be changed to what I need. I used a machincial pencil for years until I discovered this one. writes across the fabric without dragging.

another vote for chalk.

Blog Entries
    Disapearing ink on light and No.2 pencil on dark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast