Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In your opinion >

In your opinion

In your opinion

Old 10-07-2010, 11:40 AM

What do you think of quilting book publishers who aren't very diligent with the content in the books they publish? I'm refering to very poor quality workmanship. Points that are cut off, seams that don't match, raw edges showing, loose threads laying on the quilts/blocks. Maybe I'm too picky, if I am to pay good money for a quilting book I want to feel like the person/company behind the book is professional and knows what they are talking about and poor workmanship says alot. I take pride in what I do and I would hope others in the limelight would as well.Am I being too picky here?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

nope, but standards are slipping badly.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 AM

No i purchased a second in a seris book and I was really disappointed with how bad the quilts were. Seems not straight points dont match (if you are teaching how to match points you should make sure yours do) wavy fabric.

I am just going to rephrase what I said I seem a little picky. the book I purchased was a teaching book the samples they used were not something I would have shown in a teaching book. I don't want to sound to policey so to say but if I spend good money to learn a technique I would want the person writing the book to at least have a grasp on the subject. I can understand deadlines but that is what the months leading up to the deadline are for. I have a book that the writer did that is so bad. They were showing how to sew HST together but they cut off the points the blocks didn't even match up. and the border was so off that it was really a rush job. I was really excited about this series that to me I would have expected better. There are some books with such a degree of detail that even the most percise quilter would not get all of them to match. All I was saying is that in a book that is teaching techniques I do expect a little better than I saw in the book.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

If the book teaches how to make flying geese and the points are cut off, then I would be bothered. Honestly,in other books, I do not disect the pictures and do not notice issues unless they are glaring. If I did, I would feel like the quilt police.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 PM

I thought I was the only one who noticed and screamed about that. My DH tells me when I sell as many books as so&so then I can critique my peers, not until. Oh well, never wanted to write a book anyway.