Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your opion wanted regarding sergers >

Your opion wanted regarding sergers

Your opion wanted regarding sergers

Old 10-18-2016, 01:13 PM

I have a BabyLock for many years, do not use it regularly ...however, when I need it I am very happy I have it...an older model so no air threading...i just get out manual when needed

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 10-18-2016, 01:27 PM

For me, the cover stitch -- used to hem tee shirt, swim suit, and other stretchy fabrics -- was a must. Only the more expensive air-threading machines offer this. If you want one of the basic air-threading machines, and don't need the cover stitch, that's great. Should you ever need it, you can buy a stand alone cover stitch machine, and use it just when needed. It need not be air threaded, as with 2 needles and one looper thread, all of which are relatively easy to learn -- and all of us will tell you that you can "tie on" a new color of thread, and pull it through, up to the eye of the needle.
The Baby Lock machine I use at work is wonderful, with the air threading! but -- there is no way to thread it if this system is not working; ours did have a build up of lint from threads over time, and needed a service call to clean it out -- we use it extensively at work to do the most beautiful rolled hems on many craft items we make for
our shop.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
As Juki made Babylocks originally, I should think Juki would also have something to use if air fails.
I'd check with a dealer.
Juki still makes Babylock Overlockers. Babylock has no manufacturing capability and all their machines are made for them by other makers.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:42 PM

I highly recommend the Juki MO1000. No affiliation at all just a happy sewer. I had a Pfaff coverstitch, an older one with a beautiful stitch but having to change stitches back and forth from coverstitch to overlock stitch was a pain. It took me longer to get the changes made than to do the stitching, literally. I took the plunge and got a used Babylock Coverstitch machine, and a new Juki MO1000 and I love this arrangement. No time lost changing back and forth and I get beautiful results. I do lots of garment sewing for my grand children. There are several reviews for the Juki online and this is the main reason I choose this particular machine. It serges like a dream, through any fabric with little to no adjustments. The rolled hem is beautiful. Can't say enough about it.❤️❤️❤️
Old 10-18-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
Juki still makes Babylock Overlockers. Babylock has no manufacturing capability and all their machines are made for them by other makers.
Babylock had the patent. When the patent ran out, Juki could make their sergers. They do make nice ones.

I have the Imagine and the Coverstitch. I have the Juki 2010 single stitch.

The only problem I am seeing with the 2010 machine is lack of some accessories. The machine itself is great.

The same with the Pfaff IDT walking foot. Patent ran out, Pfaff didn't renew, and a few companies did try it. You couldn't buy a walking foot for a Pfaff with IDT. My Pfaff has the IDT. Wouldn't sew without it.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for all the great input. I have some ideas as to what to look for. In the meantime some one is letting me use her serger. No idea what it is and she did not know either. She plans to dig it up. It is older and she bought it used a long time ago but maybe it will give me some understanding of what a serger is.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Here's a blog entry about what to look for in sergers. http://shesasewingmachinemechanic.bl...blog-page.html

We sell Juki and Bernina sergers where I work. The Juki 654 is a great machine that runs about $500. The Bernina 1150MDA is a nicer machine that costs about $1,100. Both have built-in rolled hem, tall thread rack and differential feed. The Bernina 800 DL runs around $900, if you can find one -- they've been discontinued by Bernina. The Juki air threader MO1000 kinda scares me, because if the air threader gets clogged, you can't manually thread your machine.
Why does it scare you. I hear it gets less clogged than the babylock air threading. I heard it is actually better threading than babylock. My dealer sells both. I know my dealer told me the 654 is a wonderful serger but not the best for a beginner. Do you find that to be true. I am saving for the juki QVP-2000 because it looked more solid than the babylock eclipse.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

Well the serger is a Juki but definitely needs attention. It does turn on. I am excited and hope I am off to a good start for now. Juki MO-654DE She said it is at least a decade old and she bought it from a friend. She used it once.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:24 AM

I use mine all the time to serge the edge of my quilts before adding binding. Makes a nice firm base for attaching the binding.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:33 AM

Babylock Ovation is the best......but they are pricey. Depends on your budget. Babylock has other models with the air threading that are less expensive. Love my Babylock sergers.