Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your Quilt Guild....

Blog Entries
    The guild that I belong to is about 25 yrs old and has many of the same functions that the others have mentioned. Our annual "stash buster" is called the "Ugly Auction". Members can sell anything quilt related (patterns, tools, unwanted fabric, UFOs, blocks not wanted, scrap bags, etc). The member decides if they want all of the proceeds or to share 10% with the guild. We, too, have a 4-day retreat with national and local teachers. We have monthly meeting programs, monthly workshops, and special education programs a couple of times a year with national teachers that are funded by educational grants from the annual QuiltFest show. We make quilts for charity and Quilts of Valor. WE also have an annual birthday covered dish party. We have many out-of-town members because they can attend the annual retreat at a reduced fee. We also earn points toward reduced fees at workshops by monthly attendance, show-and-tell, providing refreshments, being a committee chair, and workshop attendance. We have about 80 members.
    (QuiltFest is put on by the 7 guilds in our city.)

Our guild does a lot of the same things, but we also have three separate monthly bees at various members homes where anyone can come and chat and work on handwork. Two are regular bees and one is devoted to applique. We also have a bi-ennial quilt show and sponsor trips to large shows like Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    The only local one I ran across don't seem to take to new members lol
    I belong to a guild in SW Ohio and they accept new members all the time. We do many things in the guild including a fun retreat! pm me and I'll tell you more.

ruck9085, you are probably thinking of Jasper, Ga. located in Pickens Cty. It is at the southern edge of the Blue Ridge mountains. The first real city in the mountains.

our guild has 2 meetings amonth,one at night and one the next morning,we hold a quilt show once a year in january.In august we have a quilt-a- thon and make quilts for the chosen charity that year.In December we have a holiday tea,this is where everyone brings a dish decided by the last name,and if you wish to participate there have a gift exchange.One month I think its july we have a round robin where there are ususally 5 shops or peopled who give presenatations about a new gadget or way of quilting that they think everyone will enjoy doing,each little session is 20min, them you r group moves to the next presenter in a circular fashion,lots of fun.NOw within the guild itself there are several quilting bees that meet once a month all over town,seperate from the guild meeting.And then we have speakers everymonth that also teach one or two classes.we are a very active guild and always something going on,forgot at the end of everymeeting there is show and tell,where you stand up infront of the hall and show your latest creation and explain it

I belong to a quilt guild in Southwest Washington. Check out our web site www.rdqg.org

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clsurz
    I've been curious for some time as to what other quilt guilds do throughout the country and figured I'd ask here.

If you belong to a quilt guild what are some of the things YOUR guild does throughout the year.

Guild: West Suburban Quilt Guild - www.wsqg.net
    Brookfield, WI (western suburb of Milwaukee, WI)

1- Officers and committees run for a period of one year;
    2- Annual business meeting is held every September;
    3- Monthly meetings are held once a month meeting Sept through May
    4- Each month we have a speaker (teacher) at the meeting. Usually regionally or nationally known - one workshop with that speaker for full day one Sat per month for a approx $40 fee;
    5- Do charity quilts for project Linus and for local charity. THis year we had a challenge fabric given to us and we made charity quilts that were judged by our peers. Winners won $ that they assigned to their charity of choice.
    6- Each March in alternate years we have a local quilt show in suburban Milwaukee. We shoot for 300+ quilts.;
    7- We have open sewing days during the year-free;
    8- After the morning monthly guild meeting we go to lunch at some resturant and than go to a local church for a "sew after" and we help each other out with projects we work on for each other as well as for the guild projects;
    9. We have a block of the month - 1st pattern for $1.00. You receive a pattern and part of the fabric with light/dark guidelines to complete. For each one you turn in get one raffle ticket. One name drawn takes all the blocks. We also have show and tell each month. Pictures taken and posted at our website. (Check it out)
    10- Dues $22 per year. There are some "off shoot" groups (I am in an Art quilt group) that meet informally once per month. Shared interests...no dues or speakers.
    11 - We have name tags - each makes her own with fabric etc. We draw member numbers from the hat each meeting for 2 or 3 door prizes. Need to wear name tag to get a prize.
    12-We publish (color copy) a directory each Oct.
    13 - Dec and May are our pot luck meetings.

Our guild only has 95 members and usually 10 on waiting list.
    :) :) :) :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clsurz
    I've been curious for some time as to what other quilt guilds do throughout the country and figured I'd ask here.

If you belong to a quilt guild what are some of the things YOUR guild does throughout the year.

Guild: West Suburban Quilt Guild - www.wsqg.net
    Brookfield, WI (western suburb of Milwaukee, WI)

1- Officers and committees run for a period of one year;
    2- Annual business meeting is held every September;
    3- Monthly meetings are held once a month meeting Sept through May
    4- Each month we have a speaker (teacher) at the meeting. Usually regionally or nationally known - one workshop with that speaker for full day one Sat per month for a approx $40 fee;
    5- Do charity quilts for project Linus and for local charity. THis year we had a challenge fabric given to us and we made charity quilts that were judged by our peers. Winners won $ that they assigned to their charity of choice.
    6- Each March in alternate years we have a local quilt show in suburban Milwaukee. We shoot for 300+ quilts.;
    7- We have open sewing days during the year-free;
    8- Dec and May are our pot luck meetings.
    9. We have a block of the month - 1st pattern for $1.00. You receive a pattern and part of the fabric with light/dark guidelines to complete. For each one you turn in get one raffle ticket. One name drawn takes all the blocks. We also have show and tell each month. Pictures taken and posted at our website. (Check it out)
    10- Dues $22 per year. There are some "off shoot" groups (I am in an Art quilt group) that meet informally once per month. Shared interests...no dues or speakers.
    11 - We have name tags - each makes her own with fabric etc. We draw member numbers from the hat each meeting for 2 or 3 door prizes. Need to wear name tag to get a prize.
    12-We publish (color copy) a directory each Oct.

Our guild only has 95 members and usually 10 on waiting list.
    www.wsqg.net (guild website)
    Name:  Attachment-192397.jpe
Views: 58
Size:  11.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

A guild is not allowed to restrict members or have a member limit. I group of friends or a club can limit the size and or who joins. That is my understanding.

Blog Entries
    The guilds sound like a great place to meet and have fun doing what we love to do. The only guild I know of is in Lakeland Fl. It's almost a 2 hr run one way. Just to far for me, are there any closer to Bradenton/ Myakka City Fl?

Our local Guilde has 8 meetings a year, always has "show and tell" at the end of the meeting. Have guest speakers each meeting, but next day has a workshop with guest speaker, so speaker at guild meeting basicly just shows and tells and sells patterns and books ect you really don't learn a thing. We do have an exchange for old patterns, magazines ect. We have a quilt show every 2 yrs. To be honest, I find it is pretty much a waste of time for me. I get more out of this board and it is free. Also attend quilting classes once in a while and enjoy them much more than the quild. I won't be joining guild next year

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patimint
    Our local Guilde has 8 meetings a year, always has "show and tell" at the end of the meeting. Have guest speakers each meeting, but next day has a workshop with guest speaker, so speaker at guild meeting basicly just shows and tells and sells patterns and books ect you really don't learn a thing. We do have an exchange for old patterns, magazines ect. We have a quilt show every 2 yrs. To be honest, I find it is pretty much a waste of time for me. I get more out of this board and it is free. Also attend quilting classes once in a while and enjoy them much more than the quild. I won't be joining guild next year
    Thank you for being honest. I too have learned a lot ot things from the board and I find the quilters on this board are ready willing and able to help everyone out no matter how long they've been quilting. So maybe a guild isn't for me either.

I am a member of Sunshine Quilters of San Diego which meets once a month Sept - June. Like others groups we have various ways to raise funds to support the guild. Annual dues are $30.

Monthly meeting, has announcements, sharing (show and tell), snacks, BOM sign ups and drawings, door prizes, seasonal raffle quilts, speaker or program of some sort. Instead of speakers, September is ice cream social and December is Christmas pot luck and auction.

We also have a library, secret pal exchange, and country store of items donated by members available for purchase.

We do cuddle quilts for the local women's shelter, a opportunity quilt to raffle each year (members sell tickets). Some speakers have workshops and there is an annual retreat.

Business meetings of officers are held periodically. Kind of depends on the officers currently holding office.

I wish all guilds could be friendly and open. I have learned alot from mine. Have connected with a smaller group of ladies that try to get together once a month to sew.

I got the same feeling where I live. Maybe it is just me. Should I have worn slacks and heels and not faded jeans and a flannel shirt? At this point, I enjoy the companions I have here, and they can all go eat there tea and crumpets. What is a crumpet? I think I'm out of my league when it comes to a guild membership.

Our guild has done most of the above items and we also have a "secret stitcher" program where we draw names and you make or purchase small gifts for that person for six months. You only need to supply three or so gifts so it doesn't have to be every month. We also have several work nights a year where we make quilts for the neonatal nursery or make cancer hats for the cancer center which are then given away. We have made quilts for many different causes and our programs consist of trunk shows, quilt shops that are willing to bring and demonstrate for us and we can purchase items that they bring to sell. Once or twice a year we pay for a well known teacher to come and spend an evening with us and teach us new ways to do quilts. We have an extensive library where you can check out books for use in your home. There are usually free items brought by the members that they don't want any more, which can be patterns, books, magazines, scraps, notions, etc. This helps our newer members or those on fixed incomes (or amy member) to take whatever they want. There are often demos on new notions, better ways of making specific blocks, etc. There are a few members who meet separately and quilt on their own for themselves or each other or just for charity. It has been a wonderful resouce for 25 years now.

Unfortunately, there's more than one guild like that around.

Quote Originally Posted by brendadawg
    cant believe tat a guild wouldnt take new members,defeats the purpose of being a guild

Quote Originally Posted by azdesertrat
    Quote Originally Posted by brendadawg
    cant believe tat a guild wouldnt take new members,defeats the purpose of being a guild
    Wish you were closer. We would be happy to have you. Check around, there must be some sort of a gathering of quilters, even if it is only a few.

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    oh my goodness.....too funny!

I started this thread almost two years ago.

Let's update and see where things are at in 2013 regarding your quilt guilds if you belong to one.
    clsurz

I participate in two groups. One group meets in a church and has a project of making lap quilts for a senior center. No officers, meeting once a month and its an all day event. Last year's goal was enough lap quilts for all the residents in a nursing home. We met the goal of over 60 quilts and presented them at a Christmas party. Another group is very informal with no officers, no goals other than quilting for most of us. Some of the elder ladies just come for the social visiting. Others bring lap work and of course we have show and tell. This last one is newly formed and will hopefully have group projects in the future.

I belong to a guild that is quite active. At this point I only go to the Tuesday workdays where we have an abbreviated meeting and show and tell. I go mostly for the friendship - I live out of town and really don't want to spend every day driving somewhere. This guild lets you be as active (or inactive) as you want. Maybe when I've been retired longer I will want to spend more time in town. Now I like being home.

There are at least 6 guilds within 1 hr driving distance and I live way out in the mountains. In our previous location there were 5 and maybe 8 depending on which way you wanted to drive. They all do a lot of the same things: block of the month, speaker/teacher, retreats, fund raising quilt, quilt show, philantrophy, auction/trade/etc stash stuff, fat quarter trade, newsletter.

What I like best and helps me decide on a group:
    1. Friendly and welcoming and encouraging
    2. Programs and committment to the quality of teachers with $ and attendance
    3. Retreats
    4. Innovative
    5. Doesn't try to make members feel guilty for not wanting to participate in an activity (and I tend to be involved)
    6. Humor

Things I don't care about
    1. Selling raffle quilt tickets (I'll design, make, quilt it, but hate selling tickets)
    2. Out-giving other guilds to charity (when I belonged to 4 groups, got so I didn't have time for my own projects, now I rarely participate in any of it)
    3. Food
    4. Fat quarter exchange
    5. Block of the month
    6. Snobby people; if they don't want me, I don't need them

Things unique to some guilds I especially like
    1. Quilt in the city retreat (4 days of quilting and getting to know other guild members at a business location in the same town, on your own for food and lodging), cost is $35 for all 4 days
    2. Extensive library and librarian who loves the job.
    3. First class program every month and $ to back up this goal (if there's not a GOOD program, I'll probably not attend that month)
    4. Voluntary Quilt challenge, one guild does a monthy challenge that is using a technique demonstrated the last meeting
    5. Monthly raffle (5 members/month donate items (high quality) that are raffled at the meeting)
    6. Art sewing circle
    7. Business meeting and all announcements less than 1/2 hour
    8. 1/2 hour before meeting all activities are available to participate (program sign up, raffles, library, block of the month, food, magazine swap) and room is open for meet-n-greet
    9. Magazine swap: anyone can put magazines out and anyone can buy them for $.25/ea-goes to guild
    10. At another guild: stuff swap similar to #9
    Last edited by petthefabric; 03-29-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2