Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah! >

You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah!

You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM

My mom has insurance on her quilts, they are all apraised.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 PM

I would hate to have to tell my DH the truth. It is at least 10,000 dollars. And the sad part is, it's only worth that until you walk out the store with it. Talk about depreciation!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM

My insurance agent has never asked me to put a value on individual things. If he did, I'll have to shoot him! We just took out a lump some amount on the contents. thanks goodness!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Yourstrulyquilts said: Talk about depreciation!

Ah, but unlike almost anything else that depreciates the minute it leave the store, the value of fabric is more than redeemed if you make a quilt, and there is - as several have pointed out - intrinsic value in the process of making it. If it's not for a profit making business or a valuable gift for someone, it represents your well earned recreation, after all. A couple of hours of sewing may be cheaper than going to a movie these days. We're not in the mall or online buying anything while we're sewing, either. Heck, we may even be saving money! For me it also has health benefits because when I'm sewing I'm not indulging in one of my other passions: baking sweet things we shouldn't eat.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM

Well, I spent the first 40years with DH buying campers, guns, fishing equipment, boats, pick-up trucks, tools, etc. and I never saw his paychecks or his checking account. I also packed up the campers, cooked in some very inconvient outdoor kitchens, heated water on camp fires and chased after two very active kids just to come home and unload and clean up. Sooooooo now only a very foolish DH would dare to even whisper a question about my sewing and/or quilting. After all I got a late start and I plan to have a little of "me time" before the end. Hold your head up and tell the insurance just to write down what you tell him!!!! LOL
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Oh my! I have to call my insurance agent tomorrow. :oops:
Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
that's funny.. I keep all my receipts anyway for anything quilting related.. Hubby figures it out at the end of the year for tax purposes.. I know I spend ALOT of $ on fabric and quilting supplies almost weekly but so far, he has not complained.. my guess is his hobbies are just as expensive.. So no changing habits here anytime soon!!
Thats me too. DH has got a Harley, a tractor, truck, chains saws and what-not. I have my Bernie, Husky, Gracie and stash. Sound fair to me. :roll: :roll:
Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 PM

I haven't thought about the fabric. We are thinking of re evaluating our insurance too. Maybe I should think about it too. Boggles me mind. LOL Machines are enough to think about it. Wow!!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Dee

We just uped our insurance, as the sewing room is worth a lot. Machines, notions and fabric-other crafts. I decided to go a bit more as remember the depreciation factor. When we robbed years ago, everything was depreciated. Made one heart sick. So think of your sewing room/studio.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM

My hubby found my secret stash a couple of years ago. Believe it or not, all he said was that maybe we should rent a climate controlled storage place. I have been blessed with a very understanding husband. In fact, we have been married 47 yrs today. Do you think we can attribute that to the sewing machines, fabric , books, and gadgets? He has even bought me some of the gadgets and helped me pick out fabric. I think I will keep him around for a while.