Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah! >

You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah!

You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Location: Born & raised in Upper Micigan, transplanted to central Wisconsin the last 35 yrs.

This is not unusual to me. A yr ago July I had a house fire, it started from the outside right at the area where the closet is that all my life time stash of fabric was stored. Yes, ALL MY FABRIC. :-(
When the restoration people came and I was washing all of the fabric with the chemicals they gave me, used to get out the smoke smell, they looked at me and asked me just how much fabric did I have there? I told them all I had been collecting my entire life. Many of the pcs were from my Grandmother!
When the insurance adjuster asked me how much it would cost to replace it all, and I said at least $3,000. he said "NO WAY"! Well, I asked him to set up an appointment with me so we could meet at JoAnn's. I took samples of each pc of fabric, recorded the yardage, and while at JoAnn's I found the equlivent pc of fabric and yardage. Took off 20%, as I don't buy at full price. He added up close to $6,000 worth of fabric at todays prices. Well, now that might open your eyes up a bit more as to what you actually have there...
Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM

How do you manage to take a deduction for the fabric, etc?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by CraftyGardenMom
Sad day when you have to 'fess up' to your husband about how much fabric you REALLY have and what it costs....

So my husband and I are currently getting quotes on home insurance. While on the phone with the agent, I learned our previous policy, which DH got without me really paying attention to the itemizations, had my all of my quilting fabric listed as approx. $100 value. DH turned to me and said, "Well this policy is about 5 years old, and I know you've bought more since then. What would you say it's at now, $200? $250?" I just looked at him blankly while my mind raced...tell him the TRUTH? Egads!?!?! I mean, I am normally all for 100% honesty in a relationship, but this is surely an exception to that rule? :wink:

It pained me, it really did, but since this is for insurance purposes and I know it will just come back to somehow bite me in the butt if I don't tell the honest amount (i.e. flood in basement where fabric is, fire, etc...) I told him "try closer to $2,000-$3,000 and that's being conservative." He and the agent (male/non-quilter obviously) were speechless. Now I have to send him pictures and any receipts I may still have to prove it, LOL.

Just thought I'd share that funny story with you all....so how much would your sig. other say your stash is worth? What's the "real" $ amount? :)

Tanesha
I never thought about it but guess I should! We always think about the electronics or the books but I didn't think about fabric! Mmmm...
Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 PM

After reading this thread, I went to talk to my agent. He said that every thing was covered. Computers, sewing machines, fabric, etc. He did suggest takiing photos of everything and putting in a safe place to help if anything did happen. He said I could even video everything, easier, but I told him then I would have to clean the sewing room.. LOL Anyway, we are covered up to $70,000! That's just appliances, other things mentioned and personal items. I feel a little better now.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 PM

One.Christmas.my.DH.bought.me.a.large.lidded.crock .and.gave.my.mom.$50.to.fill.it.with.fat.quarters! When.he.saw.that.it
didn't.make.a.dent.in.the.crock.he.finally.realize d.what.
this.hobby.of.mine.cost!....BUSTED!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 PM

did you husband need to use his medical insurance after he found out how much fabric???
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM

This is true of any hobby. When my girls were growing up they were very involved in horse showing. Someone broke into our tack room and stole two saddles, bridles, misc. tack. Thank God we had 'replacement cost' insurance and not 'actual cash value'. I showed pictures to the agent, went through the tack catalogs, he added up the price of stuff that looked like what we had and settled up. My now ex-husband knew showing was not cheap but he about had a coronary over the settlement and was actually upset that I spent the money to buy more tack. Having had that experience, I never even thought about the cost of my machine, my serger, the tools and notions, pattern books, and the stash. Duh! Thanks for a really good reminder. Even if we are adequately covered, pictures are important when we start itemizing and replacing. Good thread!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Many years ago when my husband happened to ask what I spent on something I answered ''Less than a round of golf.'' He didn't ask that question again. He grumbled more recently about the price of a (wonderful) used serger I bought at a garage sale, until I told him what it would cost new, which incidentally, was probably about what his golf club membership costs - every single month. And I paid only a fraction of that. And then I bought several sets of 4 spools each of the thread for it, along with several other things, and of course fabric... The less said about spending on a day-to-day basis the better, and as someone else pointed out, it's really no big deal as long as you're not going into debt for it.

I really appreciate this reminder about insurance. There are quite a number of things that have gone up a lot in price in recent years and might need another look for itemization. I don't have an especially big fabric stash and only (!) 3 sewing machines, but I'm a dabbler and have stashes for several other hobbies, too. Having to account for it all might be the incentive I need to cull the things I haven't used in several years. I used to do quite a bit of counted cross-stitch, but haven't crossed one of those stitches since the ring pillow for my son's wedding - 14 years ago!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM

This has been a great thread! I have never really thought about insurance on my sewing stash, equipment, tools, patterns, thread, etc. I had told my DH that if anything ever happened to me to let my sewing buddies into my room to pick what they wanted before he would decide to throw everything away! I have maybe one DGD that might want all my "stuff" but she lives in Ca and I live in SC and rarely see her. No one else in the family including a daughter or DSIL's would want anything. I have 4 sewing machines, 2 sergers, a go cutter with many dies, EQuilt 7, Embroidery programs and patterns, and the list goes on. I usually keep my receipts and I do want to take an inventory now.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Got caught eh! My DH knows the cost of fabric & knows how much I have but I think he still would be shocked at the total amount.