Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah! >

You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah!

You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Deb Thies
Yikes! I hear ya sister! And feel your turmoil...I too had to 'come clean' in my presentation to DH about my business dream- the cost of all of it---fabrics, notions, longarm quilting services and even the retreats! But, it got me what I have now- an awesome new business- a longarm quilting studio and retreat! Moonlight Stitching Studio & Sisters Retreat
where are you located and how do you do your retreats....
Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....
Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 AM

wow you all really have me thinking about this - i did not even own a sewing machine when i got my policy ...
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM

This is a good thread and all humor aside it is something to consider especially if you have been quilting a long time and have quite a stash built up (I've been quilting 30 years). I'm not talking just fabric either. I just did a quick calculation on my books and averaging them out to $20 each, I have at least $8,000 alone in them. It adds up fast. Then there's the longarm and all the rulers, templates, pantos, thread, etc. My three domestic sewing machines and all the notions and supplies, patterns, batting, my cutting table, ironing table..... As I look around I am quite overwhelmed. It would take me a good solid month to inventory everything. My books are already inventoried and in a spread sheet on my computer. When I record them I put down the retail price even tho that's usually not what I paid for it. I would also record the fabric at the current value and not what you might have paid for it five or ten years ago.
I use to think $50,000 was about right, but now with my longarm + supplies, I think it is quite a bit more.
I think it's time to talk to my husband about our insurance...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Most insurance policies, even those that say replacement coverage, limit a SINGLE item to a certain dollar amount. I think ours was $1,500 the first time I approached this subject years ago. Anything above the 'single item' limit is not covered unless you add a rider for that item to the policy.

That was about 10 years ago ... I'm not sure what the single item amount is now.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Maire
an arrested for growing pot. The sheriff was quoted as saying that he was under suspicion because he bought $4000 worth of gardening supplies and "no one spends that much on a hobby"
Too funny! Throw the quilters in jail...just give us a machine, our fabric and room to sew and we'd be fine. In fact, with meals served and then cleaned up by someone else, we might lots more time!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by CraftyGardenMom
"Well this policy is about 5 years old, and I know you've bought more since then. What would you say it's at now, $200? $250?" I just looked at him blankly while my mind raced...tell him the TRUTH?
Oh my! They have no idea. When you can walk out of the store with one small bag and it costs $100....
Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

What a great post. We have 21,781 members so our quilting board members have spent some dollars. I should think that we are one of the wealthiest groups in the world.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 PM

That's a good one. Yeah, I know, we all WANT to tell the TRUTH but really... If I had had as much as you, I would have been afraid of a homicidal attack!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 PM

LOL Seriously LOL! :lol:

Your story is hilarious and you told it sewwwww well.

Well, we just returned from buying some exotic woods and some other cool boards for my husband's collection that he makes segmented bowls out of. Do you really think I need to worry about how much my stash n' stuff is worth?

However, my DH is usually with me when I buy quilting necessities (fabric) and many, many times he asks me if there is someplace I want to go to buy fabric. If we are traveling he allows time for fabric shopping and even will check for places for me. As you can tell we are happy together!

Never thought of detailing it for insurance purposes. Thank you for such a great story. Sorry it was at your expense. :-D