Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
THE YUCKY PART >

THE YUCKY PART

THE YUCKY PART

Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM

My yucky part is pricking my fingers. I hand quilt and my hand underneath has to feel the needle so I know when to push the needle back up. Now I love to quilt but sometimes I have to put it away for a few days so my fingers can heal.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:35 PM

CUTTING....*yawn*
I'd rather tear out 10 rows of stitches than cut fabric.
I just recently cut the crap out of a finger, so that intensified my dislike of the rotary cutter...grrrr :thumbdown:
Old 03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I hate making the quilt sandwich. I usually make large quilts (queen or king). Maybe thats why I find it so frustrating. It takes forever. My favorite part is the quilting.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Ditto to all who dislike the sandwiching. Getting it smooth, then basting and/or putting in a million saftey pins. YUCK!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:40 PM

Cleaning up all the little threads on the back before sandwiching the layers.

Judy
Old 03-12-2008, 04:05 AM

I don't consider anything about quilting yucky, but choosing colors sometimes is a problem for me. making the decision on what pattern to make also. There are so many that I have on my list and not enough time to work on them. In the back of my mind, I am always working on one, but the actual part seems to be so far in the future.

I have never machine quilted a full quilt on my regular sewing machine. I used to send them out to be quilted. I eventually invested in a short longarm (17" throat) so I could finish a quilt in no time......I didn't want to wait weeks, and sometimes months to get it back.

I find when I go to the store and see fabric with different colors but the same design, I buy some of all of it with a quilt in the future in my mind. I have alot of collected fabrics that way.

The worst part (if I have to choose) would be the waiting to see the finished product. Once it starts to go together and all those small pieces are sewn, everything is worth it in the end.

Barb
Old 03-12-2008, 04:13 AM

Lately the yucky part is finding blocks of time to quilt. Then when I do get the time, basting drives me nuts.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 AM

I have my biggest problems with the sandwich. Mostly because I don't have the room :D Mostly I just enjoy the whole thing :D
Old 03-12-2008, 04:38 AM

uh oh - my least favorite part . . . don't hate me now! . . . is

the quilting!

i'm tired of paying to have them machine quilted (even though it's relatively inexpensive here) so i'm trying to machine quilt on my machine. ugh. still have some kinks to work out (timing so there are no loops in the back, smoothness of the machine bed so there aren't any 'oops' spots, etc etc).

maybe one day i'll have the $$ to get a long-arm - still not sure i'd enjoy it, though!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 AM

Ironing the fabric ahead of time, only to find it wrinkled again when ready to use it.