Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A zillion 31/2 inch squares

A zillion 31/2 inch squares

I was just gifted a zillion 31/2 and 21/2 inch squares of fabric in every print and color. Can anyone suggest some pattern that will turn these squares into a quilt? I thought of pinwheels, but that would take forever to piece.

Blog Entries
    What about a scrappy 9 patch ?
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Depression Block quilt! Here's the link to the pattern at Quilter's Cache. http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html
    That's what I would make if I had a bunch of squares!

Colleen

Blog Entries
    It will be difficult to use them together as they don't add up to equal parts, but if you are willing to peck away at them along with other fabric from your stash, look at www.quiltville.com - Bonny Hunter's site. She has LOTS of scrappy patterns that use these sized squares. Hope yours were better (more accurately) cut than the ones I inherited!!!

How about a landscape quilt?
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

If you have four or more of each pattern you could do something in the way of Trip Around the World (but less defined) - I'm picturing something with gradations of print size or fabric value radiating out from a central area. This would be the same amount of work as a watercolor quilt...but is one of my favorite ways to use up odds and ends! The quilt from which I took my avatar is like this:Name:  chevron crib quilt reduced for quilting board.JPG
Views: 3484
Size:  154.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Postage stamp. No thinking required.

four patch. easier i think.....
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I always wanted to try a landscape quilt. I may give that a try. Your trip around the world is lovely. I also found a sweet quilt at Freda's Hive. Lots of ideas to think about!

I also have a bunch of 3.5" vintage squares. Any interest in swapping some of your for mine?? I would like to make a postage stamp quilt but will need variety. PM if you are interested.

Blog Entries
    Look for the Mondo Bag pattern. It's a great bag that requires 280 2-1/2 inch squares.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
    Depression Block quilt! Here's the link to the pattern at Quilter's Cache. http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html
    That's what I would make if I had a bunch of squares!
    Colleen
    This is a fabulous pattern and yes it will take time and a little organization but oh, so worth it. Very excited to see what you do with them!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts has some wonderful scrappy patterns. She has a website and her books are available through Amazon.com.

Blog Entries
    Bonnie Hunter's web site Quiltville.com has lots of scrappy patterns that call for 2 12 in blocks,,, she uses them for leader and enders then you are basically making two quilts at one time.

Do you have duplicate color/fabrics? I have been doing Suduko quilts this week-end it they are such fun and fast. Just another idea!

I think with something like that I would do something along the lines of a strip quilt, just sew them all together in a line, something like the 1600 quilt, I made something similiar when someone gave me a lot of squares and strips-

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...04868067wQzYbn

Blog Entries
    You can always fuse them to the fusible grid then stitch and clip the seams. Much easier.
    Debbie
    Machine It

My favorite with such is just to start sewing it all together and make a scrappy out of it or cut it into blocks later, or make patchwork applique like birds, dogs, cats, flowers, etc. It really comes out awesome. Than use the in other projects later on.
    cparant

Trip ARound the World uses squares really fast. Scrappy is fine. Nine Patch.

A charm quilt - each square different is very effective. AND there is little thinking - just grab and sew

You are so right a pin wheel quilt would be a ton of work but it would be wonderful when you get through.
    Lorraine

Pair up light and dark 3 1/2 blocks right sides together. Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the light. Stitch a 1/4 on both sides of your drawn line then cut on drawn line. You will end up with two HST blocks. You can trim one of them down to be 2 1/2 inches to mix and match with your 2 1/2 squares and you can square the other one up to 3" HST. There are countless things that can be done with a mix of squares and HST blocks. If the quiltville site doesn't give you enough ideas you can invest in a book specifically for scrap quilts or see if you library has one.

Edited to add, I have made the depression block. It looks great when done and is great fun to play with HST. another one along the same lines is Aunt Sukeys choice, simply replace the flying geese unit with two HST. Looks great done scrappy with matching values.

http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AuntS...oiceBlock.html
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 05-08-2012 at 05:52 AM.

TMK
    Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    I was just gifted a zillion 31/2 and 21/2 inch squares of fabric in every print and color. Can anyone suggest some pattern that will turn these squares into a quilt? I thought of pinwheels, but that would take forever to piece.
    Arkansas Crossroads. I did one with 2.5 squars and just won 3rd place at my guild's judging prior to show. Pretty simpl.

Loved the quilt. Thanks for the link. Would make a good scrap quilt, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast