Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: zippers question

zippers question

i was wondering how you store all your zippers used or new. i just aquired a few.some are long and some are short. now i need to know what you all do with them to store them. thank you all for looking. and help me find a way to store them,
    ​debra

Power Poster
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  231.7 KBI put mine on the cheap metal shower rings from the $ store and hang them up. The one end of the shower ring is narrow enought to go through the hole on most zipper pulls.
    Last edited by Tartan; 07-02-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have hundreds. I put them in see-thru plastic shoe boxes. I take a 3X5 card and write the colors, lengths and unique info (like it's a separating zipper) and put the card inside the box on the end so I can read thru the box and see if what I want is in that one without opening it.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I store mine in an oblong food storage container that's about 7-8" long and 2" high. The shorter zippers lay nice and flat, while the longer ones have enough room to circle around the edge.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Power Poster
    Mine are in a 22 qt. Sterilite plastic tote. I usually just transfer them to another tote when I'm looking for something.

all great ideas. tartan i just so happen to have a lot of those shower rings. how cool is that. thank you all for the help....
    ​debra

Blog Entries
    Can someone tell me what you folks do with hundreds of zippers? I think I am missing out on something!

Power Poster
    I never counted how many I have - there are probably quite a few.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    Can someone tell me what you folks do with hundreds of zippers? I think I am missing out on something!
    I was making a lot of bags. browsing on ebay one day (this was a couple years ago) I saw a listing for 500, separating jacket zippers, YKKs, from 12" to 32" for $40 INCLUDING POSTAGE!!! Since I figured I needed about 3 or 4, 500 seemed about right (which is why my house looks like it does)
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I was making a lot of bags. browsing on ebay one day (this was a couple years ago) I saw a listing for 500, separating jacket zippers, YKKs, from 12" to 32" for $40 INCLUDING POSTAGE!!! Since I figured I needed about 3 or 4, 500 seemed about right (which is why my house looks like it does)
    Lol only someone who sews will understand this logic! Love it!!

Tartan, thanks for the suggestion! I only have a handful of zippers, plus a closet with an unused clothes rod where I store quilting "stuff". Your suggestion is just perfect for me! Thanks a million!
    MacThayer

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    i have a few not hundreds.. but i do like to have them on hand when i need one. purse, wallet or what ever.
    ​debra

Blog Entries
    Ha, ha, ha. Know what you mean. Who can resist a deal like that!

I've done alterations for years. Having zippers on hand saves a bunch of time and miles.

Mine are sorted: metal, plastic, seperating, invisable (hate putting those in a garment). These are in zip-lock bags in a box. Makes it easy to find what I'm looking for.

HaHaHaHaHaHa!!! That is laugh-out-loud funny! I can relate...

T.
    Ha ha ha! That's our logic alright! no one would understand us. Some day, yes some day, we may need them, right? In the mean time, we save lots of $$$

Oh Tartan that's a great idea!! I store mine in a plastic drawer thingy. Look to the far left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

I inherited a box full of zippers from a friend's estate. I have used them, given them away, put them in a yard sale, and still have bunches, but they do come in handy. I make small pockets of nylon screening and put a zipper at the top. If I am looking for something, I lift it out and just look through the screening and find what I am looking for.

Two summers ago, my neighbor (who had owned 3 fabric stores and retired) gave me about 1,000 zippers and all of the stores' leftover trims which were still on the boards. Most of the zippers were 7-9" in an array of assorted colors. I grouped them by length and color and wrapped rubber bands around the tops to keep them together. Then I just tossed them in a large shopping bag and that's my storage! LOL Since then I have made a couple of dozen zipped cosmetic size bags in various theme fabrics. I gave some away, sold some and have some in my inventory in case I need a quick gift. (And that is why my house looks the way it does!!)

Your answer made me laugh out loud! Saw an image in my mind of me doing the same thing with anything I think I just might need in the next hundred years!! LOL

Well, if I can't find a particular zipper or zippers, now I know where to go to ask!!

When you buy sheets, they come in a clear zippered bag. I keep those for storage. I store the 7 to 9 inch zippers in a small bag that held pillowcases, and 12 to 22 inch zips go in a sheet set sized bag. Then I stuff those into a drawer!

I can certainly relate, PaperPrincess! It made me laugh so much.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    I detest zippers, I can never get them in a garment the right way. I used to sew a lot of clothing but went out of my way to make sure a zipper wasn't called for. It reminds me of a time eons ago that I was making something that had Yikes a zipper, I called my mother long distance & she walked me through it and it came out perfect but for the life of me I could never do it again. Unfortunately I lost my mother a couple years after that & never done a zipper since that was in 1984.

all mine are in a clear plastic rubbermaid box

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast