Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2020 June through November Round Robin >

2020 June through November Round Robin

2020 June through November Round Robin

Old 08-10-2020, 11:13 AM

CarrieM, I'll mail the package tomorrow .
Old 08-10-2020, 11:25 AM

I'm sorry but I'm a worried mom. We just had a major storm go thru Iowa. One son drives a semi and is parked on a Hwy with trees down all around him and another son...damage is bad in his area and I can't get a text thru to him due to cell phone service being out. Power is out there.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-10-2020 at 04:40 PM. Reason: PM
Old 08-10-2020, 12:55 PM

Mary - will send good wishes for your sons! It is scary when you can't make contact!

I had a bit of a "fun" time yesterday - I decided it might be fun to start a new project, so I pulled out a quilt kit that I'd bought a few years ago. After getting the fabric pulled out, I was missing five pieces!

I had a moment of "did they short me?" before the brain kicked in and I remembered I'd prewashed all the fabric, so I'm sure it was all there at that time. Must have not all fit back into the bag and I probably had it sitting on top, which was fine until I packed everything up and moved - and unpacked and put loose fabric on the shelf.

As I was looking at the fabric pictures - I recognized one as something I'd use to make masks. I remembered it because when I was digging through me "folded but not ruler folded" fabric, I asked myself why in the world I'd bought that?

So I started digging around more and located four of the five, and only one had been partially used. I dug around for at least another hour looking for that missing fabric, found a lot of stuff I'd forgotten I had, including way too many UFO's that got packed away for the move and conveniently forgotten!

I finally gave up looking for that last fabric and pulled another brown out of my stash to use, and took a long break.

So when I got back to it, I started move the fabric around and organizing it - focus fabric (check) Three beiges (check) seven blues (check) and 5 browns - wait, I've got six! Turns out my missing fabric was there all along, it just got "stuck" to another of the browns when I laid them out and I didn't notice until I started picking them back up! Glad I found it, not glad that I spent an hour looking for something in my stash that was sitting on the cutting table the whole time!

On a good note, the pattern called for the covered corners method for square in a square using the fabric I cut into. Since I don't like that method, I cut much smaller center squares and had enough fabric!

Old 08-10-2020, 04:06 PM

Update... I was finally able to talk to my sons. The truck driver is OK and on the road. The other one lost 2 trees in the front yard. They fell in the street so no damage to the house! They will be without power for a couple days. He has been out cleaning up storm damage and got bit by a squirrel. Always something.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:18 PM

My word!! What squirrel bites a man?! I hope your son gets that checked. Next I would worry about rabies... It doesn't matter how old they get, does it? The mother will worry!

We are supposed to get the storm here tonight. Our power company sent me an email saying they are waiting and ready to come help with downed electric lines. That seems grim.

Macybaby, I liked your story. How many times have I done that? Found fabric/project, lost it, found it again. Used fabric I intended for something else because I forgot first intention, remembered too late, had to make do/re-invent. It all sounds so familiar.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:08 PM

My brother lives in Cedar Rapids and they lost their front porch due to a big tree falling on it and part of that tree is in their bedroom.
Thankfully no one was hurt, but not a fun way to start the week.
My other brother lives in Waterloo, I don't think the winds were bad there.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:35 PM
Power Poster

Yikes! Sorry to hear of all the scary storms! Hope all of you are ok. I need to contact my son because I think he might be in Iowa now too. His in-laws live there and since the house fire I think they have been staying with them. Hope they haven’t had storms too.

Here the weather has been fine. We had a few lovely cool days lately.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:32 AM

My son in in IN. They were supposed to get the storm over night. I've not talked to him this morning. Praying for safety. You can replace things, its the people that are valuable. Hope everyone stays safe.

Wonderful finding old projects ... those UFOs seem to be everywhere!
Old 08-11-2020, 06:41 AM

I was following some of the storm coverage away from the computer. Was so happy when Mary found out everything was ok, or as ok as it would be.

I had told our group leader/project starter on the comfort quilt that I would make 2 brown and 2 bright mediums (that most likely won't be used) to help balance out what she was wanting to work with. I cut the fabric without re-reading the directions and cut the HST too big, easy enough to trim down but I was one square short of off-white. There is more fabric and I'll be able to finish it after group, but I have 3 blocks and 3/4 blocks done. Already had made 4, we decided one didn't work with the sashing fabric so I have 6 ready to go (4 required).

I really like the bright medium blue, hoping it will get used but probably not. Won't know until we see what everyone brings. I like the browns too, the Australian fabric was from the lady we are making this project for and we used it in the last comfort quilt the group put together last year. I was specifically looking for just that scrap.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5844.jpg  
Old 08-11-2020, 07:10 AM

Iceblossom, I like all three but the Australian fabric is my favorite. Probably because it is so different.

Macybaby, I am mailing to you today. Tracking # 9405 5036 9930 0487 9616 26