Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2020 June through November Round Robin >

2020 June through November Round Robin

2020 June through November Round Robin

Old 08-18-2020, 08:15 AM

Communication and shared knowledge are key in these things. I apologize again for disappearing a bit early on, I was in really bad shape back in June. I'm doing much better now and this group/project is helping me. My Tuesday group as well is enjoying seeing all the wonderful workmanship that has gone on before me and then what I add to it.

I'm going to keep with my original goals which is to be done by the end of each month, that gives me some flexibility. I let Mary know when I think I'll be done and try to stick to that, and she let's me know when she's ready for me to mail. I'm thinking this month though, I might need to be a lot closer to the official mail out date. It was with the first mail out that I became aware of the some of the postal issues. I got there right at the last minute and found the lobby was now closed an hour earlier and I didn't even have access to leave the package for the morning outgoing mail -- and then I found that we now only had one outgoing trip a day instead of the two we've always had.

Just like this month when I was mid-project and hadn't cleaned up yet, if I get something early/I'm not ready for -- I just leave it ready to unpack when I am -- but I can see how that could really stress someone else out. I don't usually have stress reactions but I noticed it this time, first two rounds classified as panic attack and this time is eager anticipation

Sure we have deadlines and decisions and work to do, but let me know what I can do to make it as happy and as stress-free as possible and I'll do that too. Whether it is changing the schedule or working around something or whatever.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Mail outs and musings

I think it is best to communicate with the person who will be receiving, for example, I have been posting progress pics for IceB so that she can have her ideas percolating while I am working, I think it helps. That way, if the next person might need some of your fabric to coordinate, there is no hard feelings or stepped toes, so to speak and having a jump start on the center as progress is being made, is so helpful. I've always mailed a few days early with priority, because the post office is running behind. This last border was a mad dash to the finish--I ran out of background fabric and had a heck of a time finding something that would coordinate, my center fan was a tad big, the appliqued leaves didn't flip perfectly, etc. etc. etc. I think as we go along, the borders get bigger and if there is applique, it just takes a bit longer. I worked on my current round right away (stayed up until midnight finishing blocks), but the second half will be tricky. I'll be working on it tonight again, and I'm excited for the progress. THANKS everyone for sending yellows, oranges and reds. I actually used some yellow in my last round from the donations and it was the perfect hue. I really appreciate all of you, your inspiration, posting your progress, and I'm amazed at the huge variety of the quilts so far in this group. Hugs!!!!
Old 08-18-2020, 05:30 PM

LeeAnn, I got IceBlossom's center today. I'll post a picture of it in a day or two. This top seems to me remarkably different in person than what I saw in the posted pictures. The prints are very small, and I didn't get an accurate idea of how they looked on my small lap top screen-- just darling type prints. I pulled it out of the package, and I was so pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

I'm following tracking on the center you sent me, Giv... Mary's I believe. It's moving, thank Goodness. Maybe a day or two out? I can't wait to see it!
Old 08-19-2020, 06:24 AM

I got my embroidery thread yesterday so I plan on working on my row this weekend. I have the quilt hanging on my design wall. I was really surprised when I pulled it out - I thought Bugaroo's background fabric was a light grey, which I thought I might have trouble matching, but it's a beige and that makes it much easier.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:22 PM

Givio, I'm surprised you got it so soon. I think it will be a remarkable quilt. I decided to give it some movement on my round. It is really an unusual center, little pieces with great use of color. I would have never imagined such a piece, Iceblossom you have a great eye for color. I love your center.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:11 PM

Thank you so much for the complements. I'm looking forward to seeing your addition. I'm glad to know that maybe it is better in person than in picture and maybe not so hard to work with as I had feared.

Now that I've seen my current round in person, the (secret) ideas I had to set it on point have all gone out the window. I didn't realize that the tiny center square is an arc, and if I tilt the quilt it will forever sail troubled waters -- and that troubles me.

Now I'm thinking about leaves and grass and things like that... happy thoughts
Old 08-20-2020, 05:35 AM

Hah! Inspiration has struck... I spent some time last night doodling on graph paper and it happens I still have that box of green fabrics that I got out to cut pieces for Mona.

Now, to find the background fabric or at least determine how many fabrics it will have (alternating between 1, 2 and "many"). Pretty sure I sent out the perfect piece a month or two ago, but that doesn't mean that something good isn't hiding in the stash somewhere, I do have one in mind.

Even though I have a path to follow, the corners are still blank in my head but I have time for that.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Hah! Inspiration has struck... I spent some time last night doodling on graph paper and it happens I still have that box of green fabrics that I got out to cut pieces for Mona.

Now, to find the background fabric or at least determine how many fabrics it will have (alternating between 1, 2 and "many"). Pretty sure I sent out the perfect piece a month or two ago, but that doesn't mean that something good isn't hiding in the stash somewhere, I do have one in mind.

Even though I have a path to follow, the corners are still blank in my head but I have time for that.

Don't you love those "Aaa Haaa!!!" moments!
Old 08-20-2020, 10:36 AM

Travelinggramma's center has a new border...
Attached Thumbnails tg3.jpeg