Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st >

April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st

April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st

Old 04-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I have been thinking of trying to do a pincushion using the paper piecing technique, but haven't worked on that in a couple of years. I had a new book on it back then, and tried just a simple one, and suffered through completing one, then never went back to it. lol.. So if I do one like that it will be only after I have practiced enough for it to look decent. I kept thinking that for smaller things like this swap would be a good time for me to try the paper piecing (just a thought). You know what they say about thoughts? They are fleeting. lol.. or is that feelings? I can sure tell what is fleeting, and that is my memory.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 AM

LOL my thoughts are fleet and sometimes very hard to catch! I would agree that small projects can be great for practice. You should make practice pincushions and send them to me to check them out!

I was looking at tutes for the slap bracelet pincushions last year and saw one where she made a fabric sleeve to cover the bracelet. Have any of you see the tute for this pincushion? http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2011...incushion.html What do you think???
Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Hi everybody. Sorry I was not on here yesterday. Bad thunderstorms and tornado warnings going on most of the day. We got lots of rain and lightning and high winds. Not much damage here. lots of people killed in the tornados though in surrounding areas. Not real close. . So sad. Hope all are OK. Hugs Mary
Old 04-28-2014, 11:10 AM

Glad you made it though okay.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 AM

To me it's just so scary. Laurie you had one touch down near you a few years ago. Remember the house on Bailey Road the brick one and it had made a path in back of the other brick houses. Because of that storm and all the rain we had a few streets over from me a big tree toppled over onto a car that was backing out of the driveway and I think the driver got killed. I just hate seeing lightning from my bedroom windows that I only have lace curtains up.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 PM

LOOKIE at mee pincushion......and guess what....it's stuffed with steel wool to keep the pins sharp!!!!
What a MARVELOUS idea! I'm gonna pirate that one LOL.
Plus I rcvd some pretty pins!

thank you Cedar.....I love it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473547[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM

THAT IS absolutely GORGEOUS !!!! Nice work!!

Originally Posted by PeginCO View Post
Those are nice, JuneBillie. I love it that they are personalized.

Here is a picture of the tiny cathedral window I was attempting earlier. It's about 1 1/2" X 1 1/2". Far from perfect, but kind of cute.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Oh that is a pretty pincushion. I don't think I have any with steel wool, I do have a couple of emery ones.

I had forgotten the one on Bailey Rd! I remember when the tornado got the tree next door to our old house. The tree was almost as big and the house and it ripped it right out of the ground. Amazingly it didn't hit the house.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 AM

I was frustrated at Fabric Depot when I realized that you could only get polyester stuffing. I flipped through a book on pincushions and they suggested felting wool. I saw the price of that and remembered seeing steel wool mentioned online once and I used to work merchandising the Home Depot paint department and knew it was a better price so I grabbed the finest grade and used it. It seemed to work well. The corsage was stuffed with it too and the center pincushion was wool felt instead of recycled felt.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:19 AM

If a pincushion is just for decoration I usually use the polyfill. I also have a bag of the ground walnut shells if it is for everyday, or if it needs the weight. The oil from the shells is also supposed to help keep the pins sharp and rust free.