April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st >

April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st

April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st

Old 04-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

Hummm steelwool huh? Does it rust?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

Wow,I forgot to say how pretty that pin cushion is. All those tiny squares...man what a job to sew it.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 PM

Thanks. It was my first time playing with scraps. Someday I want to do pixel quilts but my grandma kind of discouraged me from jumping into tiny squares for my second quilt top. It was a learning experience and far from perfect, but I now know alot more about working with small squares.

As far as rust, I didn't think about that, and it will if you get it wet, so don't wash your pincushions or store them in uninsulated rooms guys!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Cedar, I was thinking of people who live by the ocean or in high humidity. Have you tried or read about sewing squares on light weight interfacing? I haven't tried it yet,but it seems like you lay out the squares on the interfacing,iron it to adhere it then fold it along the rows and sew a 1/4 " seam.First sew all the horizontal then all the vertical rows. I probably don't make enough sense in my directions. Sorry. It looks pretty simple and not as tedious. You did a great job on the pin cushion. I didn't know you were a beginner. Good work. Mary
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM

I am an extreme beginner. I've never used interfacing, although I remember my grandma showin me how to appliqué years ago so I'm kind of familiar with it. Are you saying attatching the squares to a second piece of fabric and then stitch the seams? I would be scared my squares would get breathed on and move while I was getting the iron in place. Right now I'm kind of in love with pins, although I could see your technique working really well for complicated pixel pictures where its easy to accidentally get pieces crossed and destroy the design.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 AM

My fingers are just not steady enough for those tiny pieces! Geez I sound like an old lady lol.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473753[/ATTACH]

I think I literally screamed and made my boyfriend run across the house when I opened this! I've drooled over teacup pincushions before but I never expected to actually get one. I love the hat pins. They make me wish I had a strampunk event to go to. Maybe someday! The candy is going fast. I love it!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Scrapper that pincushion is so so pretty. I love those little squares sewn together like that. Pretty pins too, and yummy candy. Great job Cedar, but I just can't resist saying one thing. You should have put cedar in it, and that will keep bugs and moths away.

Cedar that is a very pretty pincushion/tea cup, and pretty pins. Oh and more yummy candy. I can't tell your happy with it though. It is pretty indeed. I collect little odd teacups and saucers. Oh, Cedar who sent you the pincushion tea cup?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:34 PM

I'm no 100% sure. Her name is Angie, but I think I'm having trouble reading the screen name. I read stivaria but I don't see anyone by that name. . . . .
Old 04-30-2014, 04:49 PM

Oh -- now I totally want a cedar pincushion -- I love the smell! I'm nervous about using cedar and walnut stuffing. I joined the swap because I realized that my pincushion was abandoned by a seamstress ex roommate for a reason, pins fall out of it. I think it may have been made with batting, but I'm all worried about accidentally making a pincushion that also doesn't hold pins.