April - Boom 18

Old 04-17-2017, 05:49 PM

Jaba I have been busy practicing on my new machine. Hoping after the next 2 quilts I will be ready to work on the boom blocks. Really want to do more then meandering and STID.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Yay, Janice! Everyone will be so excited to see their blocks. I'll be away when they arrive (going to the AQS show in Paducah!!) but it will give me something to look forward to for when I return.

Ibex, yes my 'local' swap blocks are 12", just like our Boom blocks. So glad you are planning to participate next time!

Terri, you are getting so much done! I am envious of your long arm. I'm sure it makes it faster and easier to get your quilts quilted.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
More project's???? me too ibex94..sort of like a hole in my head. I made myself a promise to finish these boom quilts and get them done before I started anything new. Finished quilting the 3rd one today, just need to do the binding and then Janice will send me the last set of squares that all of you have made. But good thing the last 3 boom groups ....2 done and the third just the binding left. HeeHee, when does the next one start???
Can't wait to see your pics of finished quilts!
Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Yay, Janice! Everyone will be so excited to see their blocks. I'll be away when they arrive (going to the AQS show in Paducah!!) but it will give me something to look forward to for when I return.
Have a great time in Paducah! I suspect you'll be coming back full of inspiration and new ideas and hit the sewing machine as soon as you return. Me? It is time to get to work on the dissertation. If no major progress is done, no next BOOM for me.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:59 AM

Does anyone know when the next BOOM will be? I've been watching this one, greatly regretting not joining in the fun! I have a new baby due in September, so I am hoping I can manage to participate if it is this summer. You all looked like you had so much fun!
Old 04-18-2017, 05:04 AM

terriamn, so glad you like the long arm. I have just meandered on these, got a little stale after not doing it for 6 months. I love the intricate quilting but more often than not I like the quilts better that are just the very simple patterns. Guess they look usable to me.
sewbiz, I envy you going to Paducah! I was really wishing we could come home 3 weeks later so I could go but it wasn't going to happen this year. It is a fabulous warehouse of fabric though and I will sure make it a stop going to and coming home from Florida each year. At least as long as we drive down that is the plan. Hope you have a really good time.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Does anyone know when the next BOOM will be? I've been watching this one, greatly regretting not joining in the fun! I have a new baby due in September, so I am hoping I can manage to participate if it is this summer. You all looked like you had so much fun!
It hasn't been set yet but likely in the summer. These are wonderfully fun! If you know the baby is coming and the due date for the blocks is in September, you can knock them out and send them in long before the baby arrives :-)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
sewbiz, I envy you going to Paducah! I was really wishing we could come home 3 weeks later so I could go but it wasn't going to happen this year. It is a fabulous warehouse of fabric though and I will sure make it a stop going to and coming home from Florida each year. At least as long as we drive down that is the plan. Hope you have a really good time.
Thanks Jaba, too bad the timing didn't work out for you to see the show this year. Starting this fall they are adding a second show in Paducah every year... so there will be both Spring and Fall shows. Maybe you can plan your migrations around those dates?

NZquilter, congrats on the baby! Is this your first? Janice hasn't set a time for the next Boom yet, but I hope you will watch for the sign up announcement. I usually get my blocks done in about two weeks (because I am consumed with them!) so you can always finish early if you have baby prep things to do. We'll be looking for you!

Professor Ibex, get that dissertation written!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
NZquilter, congrats on the baby! Is this your first? Janice hasn't set a time for the next Boom yet, but I hope you will watch for the sign up announcement. I usually get my blocks done in about two weeks (because I am consumed with them!) so you can always finish early if you have baby prep things to do. We'll be looking for you!
Thanks, sewbizgirl! This is my second baby, with my eldest being only 13 months I'm know I'm going to be super busy here soon, but I'm certainly going to watching out for the next Boom. I have already told my Hubby that if the timing is good around the baby's due date, I'm signing up for the next one. In the meantime I'll practice various 12" blocks to make sure I can make them to standard!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:07 AM

NZQ, I'm taking about two months off from the booms as I cannot seem to run them and do my own quilting. I expect that I'll open signups at the end of June or early July. I'll be sure to post here when it goes up. Normally signups take about three weeks so we'd be starting in early August. If you are swift like some of our regulars, you'll have some time to nest after your blocks are made. But of course, babies tend to come on their own schedules, not ours.
Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post