April - Boom 18

Old 01-14-2017, 07:39 AM

Terri it's so awesome that you can be there for your family I know the appreciate you and how much you are doing for them. I hope your little Liam is having an easier time of it today.

Joan I tore my rotator cuff years ago it took a very long time to heal, no surgery for me just don't use it hahahaha I was not good at the whole do not use it thing. but once it healed and I did my PT I was good to go.

Soon we will all have those F8's in our hot little hands.

Y'll have a good weekend
Old 01-14-2017, 08:03 AM

I've been sewing like a madd woman trying to get the blocks together for the Bonnie H. mystery this year before we get our F8's. I have them together now, so now comes the hard part getting them quilted so I can assemble them. but the piecing is done so all that mess can be put up in time for the f8 mess. lol lol lol

You know how they say some women are pregnant just in their stomach and others are pregnant ALL OVER. Well that is the same w/ quilters. I am fascinated by neat and tidy quilters, when I sew I sew ALL OVER the place. lol
Old 01-14-2017, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Joan I tore my rotator cuff years ago it took a very long time to heal, no surgery for me just don't use it hahahaha I was not good at the whole do not use it thing. but once it healed and I did my PT I was good to go.
Billi, I didn't know the rotator would heal without surgery! You are the first person I've heard of who healed without surgery. People in the gym where I work are tearing their shoulders up all the time, and it's always followed by surgery. But then, I doubt many of them could "just not use it" for the length of time it takes.

Kassaundra, I had the same goal as you-- get that En Provence together before Boom season hit. Like you, my quilting space is a wreck while I'm creating. I got my EP top done and put aside in time. I'm not going to worry about quilting it right away. I actually have 5 BH quilts that are just unquilted tops now... shame on me!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=sewbizgirl;7740790]Billi, I didn't know the rotator would heal without surgery! You are the first person I've heard of who healed without surgery. People in the gym where I work are tearing their shoulders up all the time, and it's always followed by surgery. But then, I doubt many of them could "just not use it" for the length of time it takes.

SEW I procrastinated going to the dr it was not a viable first option. Surgery is not always the first course of action. I did have the shots a couple of times which helped tremendously.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:48 AM

Im hoping a shot and therapy would work...have heard a lot of negative things about healing time for surgery. I know I have to do something though because its my right shoulder and trying to bind a quilt today was torture! The other one have to bind will wait!! I made this one in honor of my DIL step grandma who died...her daughter (ashleys step mom) is going in for cancer surgery next Tues and Ashley wanted to give it to her before hand. Each "block" has a bible saying under the words, like Love, Patience,kindness etc...just fits her grandma!! I can handle F8s but not a whole quilt right now..it sucks!!
Attached Thumbnails gee-gees-quilt.jpg   geegees-panel.jpg  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:45 AM

I am also working on En Provence and don't understand how everyone was able to get them done so quickly. Of course we did have a lot of family here and did take a two week vacation so I am going to give that as my reason for being behind. I have two big blocks done and do not have all the pieces cut in case I decide to make it smaller.

I also had a rotator tear that healed without surgery because I procrastinated going to a doctor. Have no pain now, but I do avoid things like bowling that would put a lot of stress on it. Probably would be ok now, but why risk it.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:04 PM

I have to admit that I, too, have had a torn rotator cuff. I didn't have the surgery either. It hurt like h... for a long time. It took about a year for it to heal. My nephew had the same thing and had the surgery. He did the PT as long as the insurance would pay for it. It took him about a year to heal and another year before he could use his fingers on his right hand to play his banjo again. I know each person is different, so I guess this would be a decision that each one has to make for themselves. Good luck with whatever your decision turns out to be. I know how bad you're hurting right now. (((((((Hugs)))))))
Old 01-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Wow... all these torn shoulders! It's encouraging to know they do heal on their own.

Joan, I love the 'Fruit of the Spirit' quilt you made. Beautiful, soothing colors, and I love those outside blocks a bunch! Great shapes. Hope the Boom blocks aren't too painful for you. We wouldn't want you hurting yourself further.

Bibliostone, re: En Provence. Mine is finished but I kept up with all the clues as we went along. Then I powered out to get the pieces all put together, because I knew I had THREE boom swaps coming up in January (yes, I'm in a third one, locally...). I also made mine only 9 blocks instead of 16... which is just over half the size. And I find it huge, still. It needs quilting but what around here doesn't?

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 01-14-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:12 PM

Geez, Joan, that's rough! Take care of the shoulder. Do you think you'll be ok to sew the blocks? They won't make your shoulder worse, will they?

FYI, all F8s have arrived in the March group and those only in that group will have their F8s go out. Unfortunately, we've got one package, Muse's, from this group that is STILL stuck in mail purgatory. I mean, really? Muse mailed in plenty of time! Anyway, until hers comes in, we're on hold for this group. If everyone would like, I can push back the due date since we'll be starting late. We can talk about that later on. Also, if there is anyone in both groups who wants me to ship their March f8s before this group's, please EMAIL me, otherwise I'll just hold everything until that final package comes in.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:16 PM

It is frustrating finding cool quilt block ideas when I'm at work. At home I save them immediately in case I can't find them again. I can't save them here. Have to go on a quick drawing and my memory!