Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Aprils Mug Rug Swap! Theme: How Sweet it is! >

Aprils Mug Rug Swap! Theme: How Sweet it is!

Aprils Mug Rug Swap! Theme: How Sweet it is!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:10 AM

Here are the mug rugs that I made for my partner's, Jan Rutherford and gtaggar2. These are my favorite sweets because we grow them in our gardens. Strawberries, raspberries, chokecherries, cherries, apples and apricots. Love to just pick them right off the vine and eat. When the harvest starts then I'm making jam, syrup and just freezing in bags. Last year had raspberry wine that is so good [ATTACH=CONFIG]516087[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]516088[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 005.jpg   006.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter View Post
ok, I want to do better, any help is appreciated. Sorry I am not perfect. I'm wondering if I should give it up. sorry ladies, I am a bit depressed today. thanks for having me here anyway. hope e evryone had a nice day yesterday, I did. I have some sewing to do so I will talk to you all later.
Oh finished the mug rug, and will mail it tomorrow,or Friday. Depends on my partner
Oh, I'm so sad that you are so discouraged. Don't let it get you down! Is there a JoAnn's store near you? You can take some basic quilting classes there. And we are all here to help you too.

My tips would be to keep your lines and measurements accurate and straight. If you aren't already using a rotary cutter, get one. They make nice neat straight cuts. Just line your ruler up and cut carefully along it. Then in sewing, take your time and keep your seams lined up perfectly with the edge of your pressure foot. Most are the perfect 1/4".

If you have trouble with binding (it is hard on a small piece!) just do the "birthing method", where you sew the backing right side down on top of the front and batting, sew around leaving an opening, and then turn inside out through the opening. Hand stitch closed after pressing that little bit of seam allowance to the inside as a guide.

And always, pin-pin-pin like crazy so your fabrics can't slip around while you are sewing them. Sew slowly and remove the pins as you come to them.

When done, trim thread tails away, as Lynnie said. You'll only get better the more you practice.

Sewing with a more experienced seamstress, whether a friend or a teacher in a class, will help a lot too. If I was close to you I'd love to have you over to sew with me!

(edited to add): Don't forget to press and if necessary, trim, after every seam you sew. If something comes out wonky, pick it out and try again. I've been sewing for 35+ years and I constantly pick out seams to re-sew them better.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 04-06-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Here are the mug rugs that I made for my partner's, Jan Rutherford and gtaggar2. These are my favorite sweets because we grow them in our gardens. Strawberries, raspberries, chokecherries, cherries, apples and apricots. Love to just pick them right off the vine and eat. When the harvest starts then I'm making jam, syrup and just freezing in bags. Last year had raspberry wine that is so good [ATTACH=CONFIG]516087[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]516088[/ATTACH]
Beautiful, as always Jaba! I love it that you used fresh fruits as your "sweets".
Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Banned

My aunt used to make chokecherry syrup & jam, oh my how I
miss that.

Absolutely LOVED the chokecherry syrup. My mouth is watering
from just remembering when Aunt Rosalie made it. Of course it
has been well over 25 years since I had any.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Those are gorgeous mug rugs Jaba.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:53 AM

ME TOO LYNNIE!
Loved the teapot MR!

QUOTE=lynnie;7151556]paper piecing is still Greek to me. I still can't figure it out, even on a simple design like a square in a square. I need someone to show me. it looks beautiful done, so precise.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-06-2015, 12:32 PM

Lovely mug rugs Jaba! I love the fabrics you chose, all of the colors just pop! I love to make jams and jellies and enjoy canning. We don't have a garden anymore but I pick berries when they are in season at the local farms and purchase vegetables when they are available. I still grow rhubarb (there is nothing to growing that) and enjoy making strawberry rhubarb freezer jam. I think last year we ate rhubarb in something for a month straight until I couldn't stand to look at it anymore!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:41 PM

Very pretty mugrugs!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:45 PM

Thanks all! I hear you on that rhubarb cheesehead, grows like weeds around here too. Kids come home and they always want rhubarb pie. Freeze that too, lots of work but it sure tastes good in the winter.