Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
August 2010 Doll Quilt Swap >

August 2010 Doll Quilt Swap

August 2010 Doll Quilt Swap

Old 07-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
There are no dumb questions candi. If you read the guidelines on the first page of this thread you'll get an idea of a doll/miniature/little quilt. I run a loose ship, so I'm not going to have you measure anything, but we're not talking lap quilt size. Just create a small version of a quilt. You can downsize traditional blocks, use a big block for the center, get crazy with improvisational piecing, do some fun applique, make a baby bargello, etc., etc. It's all up to you. If you're a beginner, stick with something you can handle. I don't want anyone stressing over this. It's supposed to be fun.

I started this swap so everyone could be creative in their own way or ability and that we could meet new friends. This swap will always encourage new quilters. We've all been there. If you're looking for a perfect quilt, please try another swap. We're all about encouraging each other and making fun quilts. Plus, us newbies get to practice our skills.

I've been amazed at the creativity. Give it a try if you're on the fence. You can use scraps from your stash and play. Your partner will love what you create. Just have fun and forget about exact cutting, perfect skills and stress.

Long live the doll quilt swap!
Thanks, Chele. I knew the swap is for little quilts and not lap quilts, and I looked through some of the photos posted (many amazing quilts), but I just heard the different names and wondered if these names represent different quilt types. I was told I can't call myself a beginner anymore :mrgreen: although I do feel that I am still feeling my way through it. I think I'll pass on the August swap, watch what creative members post and look forward to join in September (after settling from a work move we are taking this week).
Thanks Chele for hosting the swap and thanks all for participating and giving the rest of us inspiration.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 PM

Chele,
Is there a requirement or even preference to pre-wash?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:18 PM

No preferences on washing. I want it easy and fun for everyone. Check the guidelines on page one M.I.Late and you'll see how easy it is.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 PM

Chele, you did sign me up, right?

I'm really excited ! ! ! !
Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 AM

So glad to have you back among us Terri! :) We have 73 participants so far. Partners will be assigned by the weekend.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:34 AM

Woohoo!!
I can't wait!!
I'm excited!
Now I get to play with fabric again!

Did I mention I was excited? :) :) :) :)
Old 07-27-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Woohoo!!
I can't wait!!
I'm excited!
Now I get to play with fabric again!

Did I mention I was excited? :) :) :) :)
And we are glad to have you back in the swap, and also back in the states!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM

Me too, Janis, me too!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by candi
Originally Posted by Chele
There are no dumb questions candi. If you read the guidelines on the first page of this thread you'll get an idea of a doll/miniature/little quilt. I run a loose ship, so I'm not going to have you measure anything, but we're not talking lap quilt size. Just create a small version of a quilt. You can downsize traditional blocks, use a big block for the center, get crazy with improvisational piecing, do some fun applique, make a baby bargello, etc., etc. It's all up to you. If you're a beginner, stick with something you can handle. I don't want anyone stressing over this. It's supposed to be fun.

I started this swap so everyone could be creative in their own way or ability and that we could meet new friends. This swap will always encourage new quilters. We've all been there. If you're looking for a perfect quilt, please try another swap. We're all about encouraging each other and making fun quilts. Plus, us newbies get to practice our skills.

I've been amazed at the creativity. Give it a try if you're on the fence. You can use scraps from your stash and play. Your partner will love what you create. Just have fun and forget about exact cutting, perfect skills and stress.

Long live the doll quilt swap!
Thanks, Chele. I knew the swap is for little quilts and not lap quilts, and I looked through some of the photos posted (many amazing quilts), but I just heard the different names and wondered if these names represent different quilt types. I was told I can't call myself a beginner anymore :mrgreen: although I do feel that I am still feeling my way through it. I think I'll pass on the August swap, watch what creative members post and look forward to join in September (after settling from a work move we are taking this week).
Thanks Chele for hosting the swap and thanks all for participating and giving the rest of us inspiration.
Chele said it so well!!! i have learned so very much fro participating in this swap. When I look back at my first quilt I think oh my, but then I look at how far I have come.

I love this swap - try new techniques and methods, and get something great in return. I do not think I would have ever tried paper pieceing if it were not for this quilt.

So all you newbies, stop watching from the sidelines and come and join the fun. There is no quilt police here, just a bunch of quitlers having fun!!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM

Believe it or not, I learned how to SEW BINDING on a quilt by doing these little ones.
You won't believe what you can actually do!