Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
August Postcard Swap, Come join the fun! >

August Postcard Swap, Come join the fun!

August Postcard Swap, Come join the fun!

Old 07-29-2015, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

You are very welcome Whigrose. Looking at what all we did in the past is a good way to go.
Welcome to all the new ones joining.
Our host is always very helpful, and encouraging.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:29 AM

CindyA that is a good question. I mailed mine in a bubble mailer because of the rhinestones on it and hadn't ordered the clear envelopes yet either. I hadn't thought about how the postal stamp would show. I will ask my postal clerk next time I go in, they were very interested in one of the postcards I mailed as a postcard. The clerk didn't want to stamp it and didn't want me to send it that way because she didn't want it to get dirty haha (small town post office). It made it there just fine.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

Just looking in. I have to sit this month out but glad to see some new names joining and looking forward to getting back to making a postcard next month.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:26 AM

CindyA,

To begin with, the post office would only let me put my stamp on the outside of the clear envelope. Then, I insisted on putting the envelope on the postcard inside the envelope. Because one of the postcards I sent the stamp fell off and my friend had to pay to get it. Now, if my card is especially puffy, I use a small bubble mailer. (It does cost more to send.) And, I also use the 4 1/2 x 6 3/4" envelopes that I got at Wal-mart. These I only get charged by the weight and it is most times just the price of a stamp. Hope this helps you.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:29 AM

Pam P also makes a good point. You can send it just the way it is. If you want. But, if for some reason your partner does not receive it. You are responsible for making and sending another one.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:46 AM

Hi all,
I've decided to give this postcard swap a go. Deep breathe, deb.

I have read through many post but would just like to clarify a few things.
  • Postcard must be written on the back of our postcard, is that correct?
  • Stamp/s actually goes on the back of our cards? (Do the stamps stay on pretty well or is there a secret to keeping them adhered?)
  • Mailing, these are mailed just like a paper postcard, unless we add puffy, glam or other miscellany that won't allow our fabric cards to go through regular sorting. In which case, we put them into an envelope.
  • Postage, I'm thinking each postcard must be weighed to determine postage. Is this where they are hand cancelled?
  • Design, do we wait for input from our swappie, or is it makers choice?
  • Pens, what do you folks use to write on these postcards with?

I apologize for all the questions, but I want to be sure I do everything right. It would be a terrible thing if my swappie's postcard was held up at the PO because of something I did, or didn't do. And I'm totally ignorant on these pens. The only pens I am familiar with are Sharpies and most say 'not for use on fabric'

Best,
deb in Maine
Old 07-30-2015, 05:22 AM

Hi Deb, I will try to answer all your questions but, I am sure others will also have suggestions as well.

•Postcard must be written on the back of our postcard, is that correct? *Yes, Postcard must be written on the back in a similar way as a store bought Postcard.

•Stamp/s actually goes on the back of our cards? (Do the stamps stay on pretty well or is there a secret to keeping them adhered?) *Stamps do go on the back of a card if you are NOT usuing an envelope. Sometimes, the stamp can fall off. (Anyone have any secrets to that?) Make sure your address and the recipients address are on the card if you are Not using an envelope. Then you at least have a chance of it making it back to you or the recipient.

•Mailing, these are mailed just like a paper postcard, unless we add puffy, glam or other miscellany that won't allow our fabric cards to go through regular sorting. In which case, we put them into an envelope. *Yes, that is correct.

•Postage, I'm thinking each postcard must be weighed to determine postage. Is this where they are hand cancelled? *Yes, please have your postcard weighed. They would hand cancel my postcard at that time. Especially if I was using a clear envelope. (Which does cost more to send. Because it can't go into the machine.)

•Design, do we wait for input from our swappie, or is it makers choice? *It is maker's choice. But, we do have a theme each month. This month is our Feathered Friends. Birds.

•Pens, what do you folks use to write on these postcards with? *I use a scrapbooking pen. It is a 0.5 Pigma Micron Pen. I also use muslin as the back of my postcards. I heat set it with my iron.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:39 AM

Thanks everyone for the information on mailing, and mailing with the clear envelopes. Unfortunately, I've had trouble with my local post office. Also, there is almost always a language barrier and communication is not clear. I just had to deal with a post office issue twice and everything was clear as mud by the time we got my issues 'resolved.' I've decided to put mine in regular envelopes rather than take a chance that something will go wrong. I don't want to risk my post card not getting to my partner.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 AM

[QUOTE=Judith1005;7271729]Hi Deb, I will try to answer all your questions but, I am sure others will also have suggestions as well...

Judith1005, thank you for all the answers. I'm excited to get started. Looking forward to the 1st.

I already know several other here.

Best,
deb in Maine
Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Updated Participant List

Judith1005
Pam P
Owlvamp
Dee7683
nana20010
JuneBillie
dfelker