Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Batik Block Swap 12.5 - Signups thru 5-31-13 - Due 7-31-13 >

Batik Block Swap 12.5 - Signups thru 5-31-13 - Due 7-31-13

Batik Block Swap 12.5 - Signups thru 5-31-13 - Due 7-31-13

Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 AM

But I am so crazy right now. LOL. I will dig some more in my bucket to see what else I can come up with. I do have the Jinny Beyer 4,000 block book so I will see what I can mix together to make up a pretty block with those scraps.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Beth don't worry. Make your crazy block. It was just my preference. I can't wait to see your crazy block. You always make awesome blocks.

Also all blocks are to be pieced, correctly? No applique or combo piecing applique?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 AM

I believe they are to be pieced also Anna. I prefer pieced just because they wash so much better.. no fraying. Applique is good if its turned but not many of us have that skill or that time. Machine applique/fused is perfect for wall hangings or something that you dont really wash much or if at all. Just my humble opinion. Oh shush up humble isnt usually a word associated with the brat but what the heck it sounded good when I wrote it.

here is my grand news of the day: TODAY IS BATIK BLOCK DAY thats right I will sew away on a few blocks this morning. I am only good for three blocks per day so by tomorrow one set will be done. patting my back, grand job brat grand job! then I am packing again. oh boy I love packing. a whole bunch I love it. can't wait. its exciting I know it is. yippee. (groan).
Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 PM

Default batiks!

Being fairly new to batiks I have a question. Why do some feel silky and some feel like homespun? the colors are sharp on the silkier ones and the others are dull colors? curiosity makes me ask. I know they are both batiks.. but.. and all say 100 percent cotton so what gives?

I made half of one set today as was my goal hats off to brat!! I found I could get three blocks out of two fq's for a greek cross. left me with a few ends and pieces 4.5 pieces an such so I imagine I can use them again in a lesser quantity in another block that requires three fabrics perhaps. I am trying hard not to give just a bunch of pieces mix matched that dont match .. crossing fingers and all that please use your golds and yellow for ME! lol..I know the rest of are groaning OH NO yellows! golds! oranges! lol I love the blues purples too teals oh yeah but right now this baby quilt that dumbos want well going to give them what they want. sigh.. just hoping i wont die of embarassment and no way in heck am I signing my name to it lol... just a quilt here its yours. lmao.. evil aunt? maybe? for her 4th birthday when she can chat with me on the phone I will sneak it out of her what do you like??? and wham accidentally it shows up. things like that happen you know. He is my first Nephew.. he knows me by now. he is probably warning his wife as I type. love that kid. here is a picture of him all grown up with his wife. You might get a good idea why I think they are a bit.. eccentric in their ways. Oh he has a 10k album collection he had to call me on rock history.. oh wonderous. are you a hoarder> aka Auntie Brat here is a minimalist a collection here is 10. period. [ATTACH=CONFIG]414481[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]414482[/ATTACH] ps that is my grand niece.. they dont want Juniper to be associate in a sexist way hence no pink or red or girl things at all..
Attached Thumbnails michael-abby.jpg   juniper.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 PM

Hey there Everyone.

I would love to take part in this. I just have a few questions.

1) So do i just need to make 6 blocks all 12.5x12.5 inches each? Or do i need to make 6 sets of 6 blocks?

2) Im in good old Canada, is it ok that i join? If so what is the shipping cost for Canada?

3) what do i get back in the mail? 5 blocks rom other members and 1 of my own?

Thanks in advance for all the answers

TheFatQuilter
Old 05-19-2013, 07:12 PM

TheFatQuilter, go to the 1st page and it explains all your questions. Each set is 6 blocks, all of the same pattern and you can do up to 6 sets but all of the sets have to be a different pattern. Label each block with your name, you will receive 1 of yours back and 5 more that other swappers have made per set that you send in. Whatever it costs you to mail in a priority envelope to the states is the amount you will have to send tracibug to return them to you. Just read the 1st page carefully and it tells everything that you need to do.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:28 PM

My three blocks are done. I will finish the other three today and that is one set behind me. phew! no one knows why some batiks feel like homespun and some are silkier? can I mix the two? I have both kinds. I am going to wash the homespuns today and see if there is much bleeding. I have a feeling they are going to.. dump color pretty well. They are just f4s so I am hesitant to put them in the machine you end up with a small tangled mess in my experience.. but they worry me.

oh yes today we made the decision to leave the area and we will be moving to: WYOMING! hows that for a change up?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 AM

Yes brat you can mix them, they are batiks, don't know why the difference though. I wouldn't put them in the wash machine if they are FQ's, soak them in the sink or something. Or just note to traci that they have not been washed. I'm sure everyone is aware the with FQ's, F8's or strips, they can not be prewashed very easily. After your quilt is done you just need to use a couple of color catcher's in the wash the first time and all is good. I always do even on regular cotton ones just because. I'm not great at the prewashing though either.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 AM

gracias seniorita! I will do that. Its just this one is a vibrant teal on one side and less on the other? worries me a bit. then the only one that semi goes with it trying to match and all is a silkier cotton lavender.. way different texture. same with a greyish black I got in the batik swap.. wonder.. hate for that to bleed on the lavender.. (watch it will be the lavendar that bleeds not the other way lol..). so color catchers ladies color catchers I hope all of you use them on things like this. expensive sorta but after all the time and energy maybe its a cheaper thing than you think? hate to see anything ruined that is for sure.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:18 AM

ok saw this in pictures this morning not sure if she used them from the last batik block swap or where she got the blocks from but great inspiration for making blocks and for quilting them for sure. check this out!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...st6073237.html