Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Batik Block Swap 12.5 - Signups thru 5-31-13 - Due 7-31-13

100 percent batik no other types of fabrics. not marbled or something that looks batik-y just batiks. I have some yardage that I can use to making 6 blocks is easy with those. I am going for my favorite blocks. I like making them I can make sure easily they will be 12.5 which is nice.. sometimes I get quarter square triangles and then things can go off by 1/8th an inch in the top or bottom corners. frustrates the heck out of me so I will stick with tried and true. signed up for only 3 but if time allows I will sign up for more. I just wanted to be safe at first. these table runners go out the door and its block time
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    100 percent batik no other types of fabrics. not marbled or something that looks batik-y just batiks. I have some yardage that I can use to making 6 blocks is easy with those. I am going for my favorite blocks. I like making them I can make sure easily they will be 12.5 which is nice.. sometimes I get quarter square triangles and then things can go off by 1/8th an inch in the top or bottom corners. frustrates the heck out of me so I will stick with tried and true. signed up for only 3 but if time allows I will sign up for more. I just wanted to be safe at first. these table runners go out the door and its block time
    Well that answers my question about is it just batiks in the blocks. I am excited about this swap. I am signed up for 6 sets. Can't wait to see what everyone else is doing. With the batik fq swap I have 10 beautiful FQ's to use. I will need to go get some lighter to use as a complement. There is a store here that carries only batiks, so I am exicted to get over to the shop, I saw them at the Dallas Quilt show and fell in love with what I saw there.

Happy quilting.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

I found them! I read createforpaws post & just HAD to find the store! Oh, and look Elisabrat, batik chickens!

http://www.fabricfanatics.com/shop/F...D-9458-238.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DustysMomma View Post
    I found them! I read createforpaws post & just HAD to find the store! Oh, and look Elisabrat, batik chickens!

http://www.fabricfanatics.com/shop/F...D-9458-238.htm
    Yes that is the one I am looking forward to going to very soon.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

oh my gosh that is the greatest site ever.. I only need this one and that one.. post that link in the fat quarter swap for april it was a batik swap and all are lovers of batiks.. give everyone else something to drool over this. I tend to love the batiks that look like water or moss then the ones that have leaves on them.. seems right.. folliage on the ground blends so well.. that is what the batiks remind me of I am finding some of the other colors bring a smile to my face often too.

off to run out the door best go get socks! its COLD 22 right now. brrrr...
    Linda

Holy buckets, batik chickens!! I NEED THOSE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by createfourpaws View Post
    Yes that is the one I am looking forward to going to very soon.

I am so looking forward to this swap. I love seeing what other people do. Once I go over to the Fabric Fanatics I will share all about it. I hope to be going real soon. It is hard during the week as i work 10 hours days, dont get off work until 8 pm CST. So I will be planning it when I have one of my days off here in the near future. I am going to ask my son to get me a gift certificate from there for my birthday and mothers day. Will see what happens there.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries

Last batik swap 10 1/2" blocks

tracibug asked me if I would post a picture of the quilt I made from the last batik swap. Sorry it's not quilted yet to show you, I've had a pinched nerve in my back so pinning a quilt on the long-arm table was not an option. Looking at the pic I'm sure you will get an idea of what you can do with the blocks when they come back to you.Name:  DSCF1254.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  1.25 MB

Love how they all came together!!

I thought I had read somewhere a special way to wash Batiks. Can anyone tell me how? Right now I have them in my Laundry Sink in cold water.
    I collect Seraphim Angels

I wash mine in cold water in my washing machine.

And with a color catcher, just in case...

I washed them last night in the washing machine in cold water on delicate, I used Woolite and Downy. They still look as pretty as they did when I bought them. I did run them thru a cold rinse before I washed them though. Thanks for you answers.

Sign me up too!

Made my first block came out so pretty, then I measured it and am so so frustrated, it came out at 12 1/4 instead of 12 1/2. Am going to go back and measure all the seams to see what I did wrong. I am doing the Hunter Star and followed the directions exactly. So frustrating.

boy oh boy am I getting so frustrated. Took my block apart and redid it. Still won't come out right. Am getting so so frustrated. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

walk away. thats what I have to do. seriously you will only get more unhappy by the second. walk away. tomorrow you look at it and its like a light went on. tada!

if you are doing a specific block you can share which one and why its giving you trouble and so many here are glad to help you figure it out. honest swear to God there is NO dumb question here on the quilting board. i ask them all the time so they can not be dumb right everyone?
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Are you using your ruler or your mat to measure? I use the ruler only and make sure my fabric is on the outside of the line. If you just barely measure you're going to be scant. I take the width of the line on the ruler and go to the outside. If this doesn't help cut all your pieces another 1/8" and I think you will be fine. Also sew on the outside of your 1/4" mark for seam allowance..

I am doing the Hunter Star and I measure with my ruler not the mat. My directions say cut 3 7/8" squares. I have done this, then it says cut from background 3 1/2" squares which I did. Still doesn't come out right. I am using a 1/4" quilting foot.

Blog Entries
    I think if it was me...I'd cut all the pieces 1/8" larger and then trim if I had to.

Blog Entries
    I'm in for 6 sets Good excuse to go shopping after the 1st!
    Mischief Managed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verna2197 View Post
    I am doing the Hunter Star and I measure with my ruler not the mat. My directions say cut 3 7/8" squares. I have done this, then it says cut from background 3 1/2" squares which I did. Still doesn't come out right. I am using a 1/4" quilting foot.

My best suggestion is to move your needle a little bit to the right of where it is when you use the 1/4" foot. That gives you the "scant". I have a computerized machine and so my 1/4" measurement is 4.0 on the needle placement setting. I move it to 4.5 (I believe these numbers are millimeters but can't swear to it). That might help your accuracy a bit.
    Mischief Managed.

OH OH I cut anything that says say 3 7/8 inch blocks well I cut them 4" then I sew them together then trim the block down to that 3.5 inchs this is what your maybe not doing. also if you cut that only 3 7/8 and didnt go scant 1/4 inch seams you will have trouble ending up with 3.5 inchs when your down sewing that square together. I was given this tip by themamahauser early on and boy what a difference instantly to me. Jaba is right cut a tiny bit larger and also learn to love that scant quarter inch. just a smidge in front of your 1/4 measuring line in front on the machine. tape it! then you can see where a real quarter inch is and place the fabric right in front of it
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    Jaba is right cut a tiny bit larger and also learn to love that scant quarter inch. just a smidge in front of your 1/4 measuring line in front on the machine. tape it!
    Hey Brat, I know for a fact that your machine will let you do the manual needle adjustment. Instead of setting your position to "1", keep it at "0" and move the needle over using the bottom set of the vertical adjustment buttons. (I can send you a picture if you need it to make sense of that statement.)
    Mischief Managed.

I wish I had needle adjustment on my machine. I'll be making mine big & trimming it down. I also plan to pick up a square ruler this weekend.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast