Birthday Swap 2020/2021

Old 06-02-2020, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
I am testing a photo upload.
Your photo is a mystery......nothing there.....let me know if you need help.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:38 PM

Hello everyone!

Wow June packages are coming in nicely! That is great!

So far I see we have the following in the mystery:

Irishmom
Janice McC
LAF2019
Hav4boys
WMUTeach
Quilting Lawyer
and me

Remember you can join us anytime you feel the urge!

Thanks for the pictures of your 1st set of blocks very nice!
Irishmom...that is great you are coming out of your comfort zone to create something beautiful!
Janice I believe I see 3 of my pieces that I sent in your s 7 blocks...yeah I feel honored.
LAF...love the flowers. I did a mystery quilt with a local quilt group we used 5" squares and I decide to make the majority of it with flowers. I loved how it turned out!
Hav4boys....yeah on the orange and black. That is fun and it will look fabulous with the pattern I have chosen.
Quilting Lawyer...looking forward to seeing your squares. Hope you are enjoying your first swap with us.
WMUTeach......wondering what colors you are planning?? Hav4boys Orange reminds me of one of your past quilts

any one else working on the mystery? Feel free to share with us.

Here are my step 1 blocks
Attached Thumbnails img_1915.jpg  
Old 06-02-2020, 06:46 PM

Wesing....
Good observation on the accountants!
Wow ......lots of accountants, bookkeepers and math nerds for a small group.

I am a bookkeeper, mostly do Quickbooks (self taught) I am currently taking a class online with the Quickbooks company. I have two small business that I have been doing their bookkeeping for them for over 5 years. I use to work at a tax company ( lost my job to covid) so I am hoping to find work again in the same field.

I started to quilt had nothing to do with math. But for the love of my mom. I wanted to spend more time with her so I took up quilting and we (except for now..covid) go to 2 quilt groups together a week.

Barb

Old 06-02-2020, 06:48 PM

2nd step of the mystery is being worked on right now and hopefully I will post a photo tomorrow or very late tonight!

Great job on step #1

Barb
Old 06-03-2020, 03:45 PM

I a! I have been making teen boy quilts and needed a break from those colors. Took out all my leftover pastels and will start with those. Thank you Barbara!
Attached Thumbnails mystery2020.jpg  
Old 06-03-2020, 06:15 PM

love your blocks travelinggramma!

need to update the Mystery list :

Irishmom
Janice McC
LAF2019
Hav4boys
WMUTeach
Quilting Lawyer
travelinggramma
Patty jo (from last years swap)

and me
Old 06-03-2020, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by barbarakibler23 View Post
Step #1 post# 376 (63...2.5" squares)

STEP 2

Make 2......7 x 7 2.5" blocks

I don't know if everyone does leaders and enders when you are sewing but if so this is a great time to make pairs of your 2.5" squares. If you don't know what these are ask and I will show you some photos.
I know what leaders and enders are but i don't understand how this step uses leaders and enders any differently than step #1 would. and what do you mean by making pairs? is there a strategy to getting to this 7x7 that I don't understand? I would just keeping sewing them together in rows or chunks until the right size happens..... but I never learned how to quilt from anyone, so I tend to do things less efficiently than I should....
Old 06-04-2020, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
I know what leaders and enders are but i don't understand how this step uses leaders and enders any differently than step #1 would. and what do you mean by making pairs? is there a strategy to getting to this 7x7 that I don't understand? I would just keeping sewing them together in rows or chunks until the right size happens..... but I never learned how to quilt from anyone, so I tend to do things less efficiently than I should....
I use 2.5 squares as my leaders and enders. I just have a pile of them next to my machine and sew two together when I'm at a stopping point. Once I get a little stack of pairs I then sew them into 4 the same way. As I'm finishing a row of chain piecing for a block I use that 4square as a stopping point.

For the first clue I was making rows of 3 and then sewing each row together... I actually only have 3 done so far. It's a nice way to keep fabric under your needle and if you have a plan of what you are wanting to do it will help build a second quilt as you work on your main one.

The whole goal is to always keep fabric under your needle. That way you don't waste thread and you don't have to worry about the machine eating up the fabric when you start. Bonnie Hunter has a great explanation of the process. She gets a little more complex in her work... but I find that just making 4 patches over and over helps make fun quilts.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:31 PM

I am working on the Mystery Quilt. I couldn't post my picture but I am doing every shade of blue.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:58 PM

My Mystery Quilt colors.
Attached Thumbnails 20200604_155415.jpg