Birthday Swap 2020/2021

Old 05-31-2020, 04:54 PM

I considered myself a math geek in highschool, but then my math progression hit some glass ceiling and was further stunted from growth after graduation. I cannot even imagine rewriting patterns using a 3/8 seam allowance. 1/2 inch maybe....thats a bit more logical to calculate, but 3/8 makes my head hurt!
Old 06-01-2020, 11:47 AM

I mailed my packages out today. Patrick's Mom's is estimated to arrive on the fourth and Wesing's and Crispy_Frog's are estimated to arrive on the fifth.

​​​
Old 06-01-2020, 02:02 PM

I organized and updated today. I have received 15 packages so far and one bonus. Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails e56d21f5-649d-46fd-8a35-111158c107f5.jpeg  
Old 06-02-2020, 06:05 AM

My candies are going in the mail today.

I still have not opened my Bday candies, they are all in a tote sitting in my sewing room. It brings a smile to my face to see the packages, I already know what I want to do with them, but need to get another project done first.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:17 AM

Yup, fellow accountant here! I had a friend when our girls were in preschool who talked me into a sewing class -- my mother was not a sewer so I had never even seen a sewing machine before! Took the class and then made matching dresses for my girls. And after three uses they outgrew them! In my logical mind that was a waste of my time and fabric. So I started making quilts! With the girls growing up I didn't have much time to sew so I made probably two items a year and then they started going to college and I had time to learn more about this wonderful craft and started joining swaps here which pushed my out of my comfort zone.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:27 AM

My candies went out in the mail today! I also started the mystery blocks. I was using them as leaders and enders so we will see what happens.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:10 AM

More, more, more!
They just keep on coming!
I received 3 more candy packs Monday, June 1!
LUM
BarbKibler
Tinas3
Thank you!
Old 06-02-2020, 03:02 PM

Lucky 7. Seven more envelopes have arrived. Thank you:

barbarakibler23
Gaijin
hav4boys
Irish Mom
lum
Tinas3
Wesing

I know three more are on on their way. One week to go. Stay safe.
First 4 envelopes noted in post #387
Next 7 envelopes noted in post #403
Old 06-02-2020, 04:59 PM

Default Photo test

I am testing a photo upload.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by IrishMom View Post
Hav4boys - -that's dramatic! I love it!

So, I thought I would share what I made yesterday - it is the opposite of 2.5 squares. I was looking to make a quilt for my daughter's friend who is getting married next month. She just graduated from Notre Dame but ND doesn't have licensed fabric. Before all the covid I went into the outlet and bought gold cotton napkins with the university seal in the middle. It's rather subtle and you can't see it in the picture, but it's cool. I then added the school colors of navy and green with the light blue being a contrast and cream with gold words to match the napkin.

It's from a book called "Sew One and You're Done" by Evelyn Sloppy. The author took what would be a complex block and enlarges it so one block makes the quilt. It is genius! The look of the finished project is complex, but it wasn't. I cut and put together the top in one day. The final project is 56 inches x 56 inches - I'm going to add a border and make it five feet square. To give you an idea of size the long rectangles are 4.5 x 24.5 inches. I think the Boom people will like this.

Now all I have to do is quilt it. I think the larger areas would be great for ruler quilting, but she has lusted over my daughters quilt at school with a minky backing so I think I will go with large meandering.

Very cool!