Birthday Swap 2020/2021

Old 01-04-2021, 07:01 AM

My candies are going out today. Be on the lookout for them later this week, Aborning.

WMUTeach, thank you for the link to the scrappy quilts. I might try the first one.

Last edited by Janice McC; 01-04-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:35 AM

WMUTeach, I may try that too. I've got lots of candies and lots of 2.5" strips I can use. I signed up so we'll see how it goes.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
WMUTeach, I may try that too. I've got lots of candies and lots of 2.5" strips I can use. I signed up so we'll see how it goes.
Whoo Hoo! I am excited to get going. I have two online classes to get ready for a January 11th opening of the semester, but I will be diving into my 2.5s and making squares to create my first new quilt from stash scraps after that. I believe that makes three of us from the swap signing up to make some dents in our stash and piles of 2.5 squares. Let's band together and use up those little charmers and make warm fuzzy snuggle quilts for someone.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:56 PM

WMUteach, I reviewed the DebbyBrown site you suggested. I signed up & reviewed their offerings but found it was primarily a beginner site. Note: it didn't have a place to unsubscribe which makes me even more hesitant. I think it may be a business to draw in quilters which would be great for newbies, just not for me. I've already done a California King size Postage Stamp Quilt in 2" squares (1.5" finished) & have enough for a 1.5" (1" finished) quilt to make after renovating this house! I've been looking for ways to quilt-the-quilt but haven't made a decision yet.
I hope all of you who signed up for those courses have fun!
hugs,
dj
Old 01-05-2021, 08:08 PM

Thanks so everyone who has been so efficient so far! Some of the people have not put their Board name on the envelope so I am listing their actual name.

Received in December:
- Patrick's mom
- Darren Jones
- LAF2019
January 4:
- Macy Baby
- djmat
- Mary Pearce
- Irish Mom
- Gaijin
- Lottie Parker
January 5:
- Traveling Gramma
Old 01-06-2021, 04:19 AM

DJ, Yes, the site would be suitable for a beginner but sometimes, I just want a new ideas to whip out a quick quilt and it looks like Debby Brown will be posting monthly options using the 2.5s. I can make the 4 x 4 squares in my sleep but some new ideas for machine quilting drew me in also. I am sticking with the site to see what I can learn along the way. When it doesn't meet my need or interest, I can stop following.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:00 AM

I agree that the site seams a bit basic, but if it helps me get motivated to actually do something with a big box of candies, that works for me. I've spent several hours sorting into color ways and I've got about 40 sets of 16. Now to select 25 of them to work with.

Most of the challenge with using candies is in color placement. So I'm going to look at this as a challenge on color selection. And it also is not cutting into yardage, so it fits into my goal of reducing my FAT (fabric in totes) collection.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-06-2021 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:29 PM
lum

I mailed out my January package today.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I agree that the site seams a bit basic, but if it helps me get motivated to actually do something with a big box of candies, that works for me. I've spent several hours sorting into color ways and I've got about 40 sets of 16. Now to select 25 of them to work with.

Most of the challenge with using candies is in color placement. So I'm going to look at this as a challenge on color selection. And it also is not cutting into yardage, so it fits into my goal of reducing my FAT (fabric in totes) collection.
January package went out today tool

Love the FAT reference, my goal too and in more than one way! . I pulled out my mega bin of scraps and cut for a while this afternoon. Originally my plan was to do a deep dive into my "pink" bin, but I pulled back to just my scraps. Perhaps those pinks can become backings or backgrounds. I have lots of colored 2.5s from swaps and other projects but not enough to make a whole quilt in one or two color ways. We will see what I end up with! Tee-Hee-Hee. Cut, cut, cut, stitch, stitch, stitch then press.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:50 AM

I finished sorting through my colorways last night and ended up with about 50 sets of 16. Needed to select 25 to use for this quilt and was all set to start sewing before work this morning (I normally get up so I have an hour of two of sewing time).

But then I realized I'd better work on the BH mystery since tomorrow is Friday and another clue will be out! So my candies will get sewn together another day.