Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
BLACK AND WHITE SAMPLER SWAP >

BLACK AND WHITE SAMPLER SWAP

BLACK AND WHITE SAMPLER SWAP

Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 AM

I LOVE your block. One "point" to remember is that the Amish always put a mistake in there quilts on purpose! I don't have to worry about doing intentionally putting in a mistake, but I am my own worst critic.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:30 AM

You quilters are doing a wonderful job.
Your use of color way, texture, all of it, just WONDERFUL.
I cannot use enough words, or try often enough to encourage you to not be so hard on yourselves!
I am not participating in this exchange, but I check in from time to time JUST to see your beautiful work.
ANd, maybe I should have been a cheerleader.
Because you are so close to your work, you know EVERY time your hand wobbled and every stitch that zigged a bit. You KNOW where every 1/4 inch seam is more or less ... but, the blocks are SOLID. They will stand up to the test of time.
One of the quilters pondered about just trying something else. When I was teaching at the factory, I KNEW that the first one was always hardest ... if I made people start over every time they made a mistake, they soon became discouraged.
My advise is: Since you know what you did wrong on the first one, you will automatically correct on the next one. You may even find that as you progress through the required twelve, that you are inspired to tweak a technique or figure a better way of cutting or piecing or even find a new way to express the same block.
I guarantee! Each effort will reward you with GOOD, BETTER, BEST if you will just keep pressing forward.
You are constantly learning, even though you think that the same piece, same color, same position couldn't possibly inspire you to learn more. You will always learn - - as long as you keep trying.
Your swap is a marvelous display of comraderie and talent. Keep up the good work. I am enjoying seeing, and I know I am not the only one watching from the sidelines.
I know that I am learning a lot just seeing how you place and use your colors. The black and white swap was a GREAT idea! BUt you knew that already, didn't you!?! LOL
Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by omak
You quilters are doing a wonderful job.
Your use of color way, texture, all of it, just WONDERFUL.
I cannot use enough words, or try often enough to encourage you to not be so hard on yourselves!
I am not participating in this exchange, but I check in from time to time JUST to see your beautiful work.
ANd, maybe I should have been a cheerleader.
Because you are so close to your work, you know EVERY time your hand wobbled and every stitch that zigged a bit. You KNOW where every 1/4 inch seam is more or less ... but, the blocks are SOLID. They will stand up to the test of time.
One of the quilters pondered about just trying something else. When I was teaching at the factory, I KNEW that the first one was always hardest ... if I made people start over every time they made a mistake, they soon became discouraged.
My advise is: Since you know what you did wrong on the first one, you will automatically correct on the next one. You may even find that as you progress through the required twelve, that you are inspired to tweak a technique or figure a better way of cutting or piecing or even find a new way to express the same block.
I guarantee! Each effort will reward you with GOOD, BETTER, BEST if you will just keep pressing forward.
You are constantly learning, even though you think that the same piece, same color, same position couldn't possibly inspire you to learn more. You will always learn - - as long as you keep trying.
Your swap is a marvelous display of comraderie and talent. Keep up the good work. I am enjoying seeing, and I know I am not the only one watching from the sidelines.
I know that I am learning a lot just seeing how you place and use your colors. The black and white swap was a GREAT idea! BUt you knew that already, didn't you!?! LOL

And Ms. Omak -- why aren't you participating??????

But you make a great cheerleader :wink: :wink:

Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM

Thank you <g>
I can't even do all the things I committed to do as V A & R chairman at my American Legion Auxiliary, the ranch, and paying bills!
I so enjoy seeing others enjoying the process and building community and I pick up lots of ideas of projects to do to help other groups in my community.
I hope I don't sound like I am making excuses, but .... LOL
Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Thank you <g>
I can't even do all the things I committed to do as V A & R chairman at my American Legion Auxiliary, the ranch, and paying bills!
I so enjoy seeing others enjoying the process and building community and I pick up lots of ideas of projects to do to help other groups in my community.
I hope I don't sound like I am making excuses, but .... LOL

I was REALLY just teasing you -- I know that sometimes life gets in the way of the stuff that we really want to do :wink:

Old 05-06-2009, 08:03 AM

LOL .. aint that the truth!
Life has a way of dictating a lot of our actions, to be sure!
I knew you were teasing ... I figured you had a right to know why I just pop in from time to time <g>
Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM

(My advise is: Since you know what you did wrong on the first one, you will automatically correct on the next one. You may even find that as you progress through the required twelve, that you are inspired to tweak a technique or figure a better way of cutting or piecing or even find a new way to express the same block. )

Great advice omak! And, you are so right and how nice of you to say so on all of your post! I have been 'tweaking' my block...so my points are not so close to the edge...and, did it!:)You are so right on moving forward, learn and move on. Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts! Skeat
Old 05-06-2009, 02:06 PM

I have now received 2 sets of blocks!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 PM

I, for one, will not be upset to receive blocks that are not perfect. That's really not the point of the swap. I know we are all doing the best we can. I know that I will cherish this quilt once finished because it will have blocks that are from all of you wonderful gals. And I really appreciate what Omak had to say - it's very encouraging to think I'll learn from doing a block again and again.

I said I planed on washing and drying my fabric last night - but hubby was hogging the washer and dryer doing a load of towels and then another load of jeans. No way am I'm going to stop that!! LOL!! So tonight I plan on preparing my fabric. And hopefully cutting out some blocks tomorrow.

Linda
Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

omak...I designate you our "official cheerleader"!!! Yes, I did stick with that block since I really like it. I finished 3 more blocks while I was making the strawberry ice cream today and they are much better. If I were keeping all the blocks...heck..I'd not worry. I do try to make them "special" when I'm playing in a swap..but I just love whatever comes back my way. I just love having quilty friends to play with!!! :D