Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
BLACK AND WHITE SAMPLER SWAP >

BLACK AND WHITE SAMPLER SWAP

BLACK AND WHITE SAMPLER SWAP

Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by liwilliams
I, for one, will not be upset to receive blocks that are not perfect. That's really not the point of the swap. I know we are all doing the best we can. I know that I will cherish this quilt once finished because it will have blocks that are from all of you wonderful gals. And I really appreciate what Omak had to say - it's very encouraging to think I'll learn from doing a block again and again.

I said I planed on washing and drying my fabric last night - but hubby was hogging the washer and dryer doing a load of towels and then another load of jeans. No way am I'm going to stop that!! LOL!! So tonight I plan on preparing my fabric. And hopefully cutting out some blocks tomorrow.

Linda
Linda...I am so HAPPY to hear you say that! That is exactly how I feel too! Here's my problem and everyone needs to pipe in here for me:)I was not happy w/the first block I made on mine...I was happy w/the fact I over-came what I have never tried before and always wondered how to fit in a square like that! But, after sewing the first one...I could not stretch-pull-curse that block to a 12 1/2"! So, I enlarged the pattern a smidgen....sewed and then cut it down a bit to get it exact to 12 1/2"! I posted the pic of it. Then realized that the points are too close to the edge. So, double checked my guide on my presser foot to make sure it was 1/4"...resewed a block w/the original measurments. Only to still have to stretch and pull it and curse to get it to 12 1/2". I didn't even sew the seams on the 1/4"...I kept it slightly in. The problem is that it still was a booger and I had also already cut all my pieces before I realized my points were so close to the edge. Does it upset anyone if they were to get these??Do tell! It could be me somehow even though the seams on the back look good and even...could be my ironing...I don't know!:)Skeat
Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 PM

You did a great job Susie!! Keep 'm coming!:)Skeat
Old 05-07-2009, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Skeat, I learned during the Blue/White Star swap and the original Challenge Block swap that the quilterscache. blocks sometimes REALLY do have problems. They DON'T always measure out exactly the size they say they will and it is NOT anything you are or are not doing.

I have thought about the size issue for all the swap blocks I've gotten back and here is my thought for- what its worth. I love doing the swaps, my friends put their heart into the block and I appreciate them no matter what the size. I am going to just use a setting for them that will allow me to add either a tiny bit or maybe more (if needed) of sashing to make them all play together nicely. For instance, I may put them on point and by adding fabric to the corners to make them square..then they can be ANY size I want! :lol: I'd love to have one of your blocks Skeat!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 AM

Well i am doing the Wandering Star it is a 9 inch so i figured the measurement to make it 121/2 inch so i cut out my squars sewed it together and i start wondering why it is not 12/12 so i made another block same thing then i throught i forgot to cut the squars bigger now i have all the squared now i have to cut some more the right way...woo is me.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 AM

ATTENTION SWAPPERS!

WE have now gained three new designers in the ranks. I know they didn't know what was happening to them as they tried to figure out how to make a block come out to EXACTLY 12 1/2 inches that was smaller or larger or whatever the situation ...
when you have to change a pattern to fit your plan ... You, my friends, have become a DESIGNER!
Good job! RAH! RAH!
And, also ... you are using engineering to get the results you want ... designers, engineers, quilters! Didn't know you had it in you, did you?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:56 AM

Those girls are doing a fantastic job three cheers for all of you the blocks are looking fabuloso.

Elle
Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Skeat
Originally Posted by liwilliams
I, for one, will not be upset to receive blocks that are not perfect. That's really not the point of the swap. I know we are all doing the best we can. I know that I will cherish this quilt once finished because it will have blocks that are from all of you wonderful gals. And I really appreciate what Omak had to say - it's very encouraging to think I'll learn from doing a block again and again.

I said I planed on washing and drying my fabric last night - but hubby was hogging the washer and dryer doing a load of towels and then another load of jeans. No way am I'm going to stop that!! LOL!! So tonight I plan on preparing my fabric. And hopefully cutting out some blocks tomorrow.

Linda
Linda...I am so HAPPY to hear you say that! That is exactly how I feel too! Here's my problem and everyone needs to pipe in here for me:)I was not happy w/the first block I made on mine...I was happy w/the fact I over-came what I have never tried before and always wondered how to fit in a square like that! But, after sewing the first one...I could not stretch-pull-curse that block to a 12 1/2"! So, I enlarged the pattern a smidgen....sewed and then cut it down a bit to get it exact to 12 1/2"! I posted the pic of it. Then realized that the points are too close to the edge. So, double checked my guide on my presser foot to make sure it was 1/4"...resewed a block w/the original measurments. Only to still have to stretch and pull it and curse to get it to 12 1/2". I didn't even sew the seams on the 1/4"...I kept it slightly in. The problem is that it still was a booger and I had also already cut all my pieces before I realized my points were so close to the edge. Does it upset anyone if they were to get these??Do tell! It could be me somehow even though the seams on the back look good and even...could be my ironing...I don't know!:)Skeat
Skeat- could you add a sash to make the block the right size?
Like your new avatar - is it in honor of the chicken blocks?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 AM

[Skeat- could you add a sash to make the block the right size?
Like your new avatar - is it in honor of the chicken blocks? ]

The blocks are the right size...but, to make them the right size easy and not do the tugging dance at the ironing table I have to lose the very tips off the star. There lies the issue:)Skeat

Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 AM

Hadn't thought of the chicken postings:)It is actually what is going on in our backyard:)LOL Skeat (about my avatar)
Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Skeat, to answer your question, no. I'm not going to be unhappy with a block where the points are too close to the edge. :)

After reading some of these posts, I think I'll cut out only a couple blocks and see how they sew up. Normally I would cut out all of them and then start sewing.

I have the fabric washed and dryed. One piece is ironed. I'm just slowly moving along on this project. :)