Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 14 - April - 3 month group >

Boom 14 - April - 3 month group

Boom 14 - April - 3 month group

Old 02-21-2015, 05:57 AM

Thanks ladies good to know I am not alone I wasn't even going to "tell on myself" but what the heck it sure isn't as bad as some alcohol induced choices I have made in the past.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 AM

Default Seasaw I has a question

Sea,
I am seriously considering making a storm at sea quilt in blue and white and to be truthfull your block for sunrise is one of the things that inspired me. Did you paper piece it? Is it the quilters cache block? Have you ever made a complete quilt of that block? What tips can you give me or what should I avoid if I decide to do this. Do you have a better source than qc? I did some googling and have found pp patterns, templates and I think there was a rotary cut pattern too it became a bit overwhelming. So I thoughts would ask you about your experience.

If any of you other ladies have any thoughts, hints or ideas I'm all ears.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:59 AM

Sorry, Billi, I cannot help at all as I've never even made that block. I will, however, provide tons of support and oooh and aaah in copious amounts as you work on it. SAS does make a fantastic quilt top. Can't wait to see your progress if you decide to go for it!
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Sea,
I am seriously considering making a storm at sea quilt in blue and white and to be truthfull your block for sunrise is one of the things that inspired me. Did you paper piece it? Is it the quilters cache block? Have you ever made a complete quilt of that block? What tips can you give me or what should I avoid if I decide to do this. Do you have a better source than qc? I did some googling and have found pp patterns, templates and I think there was a rotary cut pattern too it became a bit overwhelming. So I thoughts would ask you about your experience.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:14 PM

Well Billi I'm not sure what to say. I just draw it up in the EQ program then printed out the templates. I didn't PP this one at all.

But a few pointers would be: do each section of the pattern separately and double check that they are the right size. That way when you join them together, they match up correctly.

Example:
The inside block section should measure 6 1/2" unfinished, the center of that section has a square that is cut at 3 1/2", to that center square you need 4 Triangles, I cut two 3" squares and then cut them on the diagonal to get the 4 needed. Then you need to add another 4 triangles to make it the correct size, I cut two 5" squares, then cut them on the diagonal to got the 4 needed. If you cut and sew perfect you can make them 4 7/8th" but I'm not perfect at none of this so I cut them at 5" and then trim the blocks to the correct size of 6 1/2" square

For the four corners of the block which are 3 1/2" squares: you start with a 2 5/8" square, then add four triangles I cut two 2 1/2" squares and then cut them on the diagonal to get my triangles. Again if you are perfect the squares only need to be 2 3/8th" square but I prefer to trim the section to the correct size of 3 1/2" square when all the pieces are sewn

now the diamonds are the biggest problem for me but they are doable. I cut strips 3 1/4" wide. The angle to start with I got from the template off the EQ program and it measures a 54 degree angle. (The rotary cutting instructions say 53 degrees but I measured it with a protractor and it's shows 54) Anyway one degree either way isn't going to be a big deal. decide which degree you'll use and make a cut, then measure 4" over and make that same degree cut, continue to make as many diamonds as you need, for one block you need 4. For each diamond you will need four triangles cut from rectangles. I cut my rectangles by cutting 4" wide strips then cutting rectangle 2 1/2" (2 1/4" required if you are perfect) then cut the rectangles on the diagonal. BUT!!!! these are suppose to be opposite facing triangles so cut your rectangles wrong sides facing each other. NOT all face up. ask me how I know! Then separate them into piles so they are easier to use. You need 2 sets per section or 8 sets per block. Again, I trim these diamonds sections to 6 1/2" by 3 1/2" once they are sewn together.

Once you have all the sections trimmed to the correct size they are a breeze to put together. SO I say go for it.

I hope I didn't complicate this block with my instructions because it really is a fairly easy block to do.

Sea,

Last edited by seasaw2mch; 02-22-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 AM

This past weekend's progress.
Attached Thumbnails nanakathy.png   cuppy.png   seasaw2mch.png   terriamn.png  
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM

Thanks Az kat very pretty block. Can't wait to see it in person
Old 02-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
Well Billi I'm not sure what to say. I just draw it up in the EQ program then printed out the templates. I didn't PP this one at all.

But a few pointers would be: do each section of the pattern separately and double check that they are the right size. That way when you join them together, they match up correctly.

Example:
The inside block section should measure 6 1/2" unfinished, the center of that section has a square that is cut at 3 1/2", to that center square you need 4 Triangles, I cut two 3" squares and then cut them on the diagonal to get the 4 needed. Then you need to add another 4 triangles to make it the correct size, I cut two 5" squares, then cut them on the diagonal to got the 4 needed. If you cut and sew perfect you can make them 4 7/8th" but I'm not perfect at none of this so I cut them at 5" and then trim the blocks to the correct size of 6 1/2" square

For the four corners of the block which are 3 1/2" squares: you start with a 2 5/8" square, then add four triangles I cut two 2 1/2" squares and then cut them on the diagonal to get my triangles. Again if you are perfect the squares only need to be 2 3/8th" square but I prefer to trim the section to the correct size of 3 1/2" square when all the pieces are sewn

now the diamonds are the biggest problem for me but they are doable. I cut strips 3 1/4" wide. The angle to start with I got from the template off the EQ program and it measures a 54 degree angle. (The rotary cutting instructions say 53 degrees but I measured it with a protractor and it's shows 54) Anyway one degree either way isn't going to be a big deal. decide which degree you'll use and make a cut, then measure 4" over and make that same degree cut, continue to make as many diamonds as you need, for one block you need 4. For each diamond you will need four triangles cut from rectangles. I cut my rectangles by cutting 4" wide strips then cutting rectangle 2 1/2" (2 1/4" required if you are perfect) then cut the rectangles on the diagonal. BUT!!!! these are suppose to be opposite facing triangles so cut your rectangles wrong sides facing each other. NOT all face up. ask me how I know! Then separate them into piles so they are easier to use. You need 2 sets per section or 8 sets per block. Again, I trim these diamonds sections to 6 1/2" by 3 1/2" once they are sewn together.

Once you have all the sections trimmed to the correct size they are a breeze to put together. SO I say go for it.

I hope I didn't complicate this block with my instructions because it really is a fairly easy block to do.

Thank you for the detailed information you have not scared me away you have set my feet back on the ground Ill try your directions first on some scraps,, then maybe find a pp one to try then weigh all options before making any purchases of fabric.

I loved the "if you cut and sew perfectly" note you have seen my swap blocks right? I'm wondering if 5" is enough hahaha I would much rather trim and waste 1/8 to 1/2 inch on a bunch of blocks than to waste a bunch of blocks because the are small or wonky.

Some day I want it invest in eq but first I need a new computer mine is so old it would never run that size or complicated program.

I am going to make that quilt it's a perfect pattern for my friend whose husband is a diver in the navy, they both love to scuba dive and her bed room is navy and white with a "salty sailor" theme. I just won't be in a hurry to get it done.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 AM

The "cut & sew perfectly" was because I have tried many a pattern without measuring in between finishing the parts and when I got done I found the so called 12 1/2" blocks were anything but. In the first boom I was in, I had so much trouble with patterns coming out the right size that I started testing every pattern on scraps before making blocks. I even went to the extent of marking the seams on every piece to be sure I was making them the right size (1/4" or scant 1/4"). I finally realized it's wasn't me it was the patterns that were off.

So after watching my favorite person, Elinore Burns, it dawned on me that wasting a small amount of fabric was a lot cheaper then having to redo blocks all the time. Even some of the patterns that I printed from the EQ program were just barely the right size. Anyway, with all the testing I did, I have made it a habit of doing the first new block using scraps, if it turns out the right size then it's all good but if it doesn't then I can make adjustments before using the good fabric. When I'm done making sure the pieces work right, I put all the templates for that block in a clear page protecter and put it in a 3 ring binder. That way I have it for later to use again.

Now don't take this wrong, EQ is a great program to draw blocks, put together quilt patterns to visually see what they look like before you spend good money on fabric but it still has lots of problems with getting the yardage requirements right and some times getting the templates accurate. I bought EQ for the block design capabilities really, I already had the Quilt Pro program which does a lot of that as well and it does a great job but it was frustrating to draw the blocks I wanted to play with. I use both programs all the time. Before you invest the money for either program, I would suggest you find someone that has them and will let you play with it to see if it's worth you spending the money.

Thank you for the detailed information you have not scared me away you have set my feet back on the ground Ill try your directions first on some scraps,, then maybe find a pp one to try then weigh all options before making any purchases of fabric.

I loved the "if you cut and sew perfectly" note you have seen my swap blocks right? I'm wondering if 5" is enough hahaha I would much rather trim and waste 1/8 to 1/2 inch on a bunch of blocks than to waste a bunch of blocks because the are small or wonky.

Some day I want it invest in eq but first I need a new computer mine is so old it would never run that size or complicated program.

I am going to make that quilt it's a perfect pattern for my friend whose husband is a diver in the navy, they both love to scuba dive and her bed room is navy and white with a "salty sailor" theme. I just won't be in a hurry to get it done.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Nice blocks, KAT! I particularly like Terri's because of the way you highlighted that lovely flower in the center.
Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT View Post
This past weekend's progress.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:33 AM

As long as I am not choosing color staying up and sewing works out ok. When I can't sleep it does help me from stressing over things I have no control over. These are for Seasaw, Nanakathy, and Craftyone.

Sea I did not take any offense at all to the being accurate I'm always fighting it, one of the reasons I like appliqué is I'm not cutting off points on my block edges. But I do keep trying and it is getting better I've found that my cutting is part of my problem talk about needing to get back to basics.
Attached Thumbnails 2015-02-24-15.30.02.jpg   2015-02-23-05.34.19.jpg   2015-02-20-16.28.10.jpg  

Last edited by Billi; 02-25-2015 at 06:46 AM.