Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group >

Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group

Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group

Old 06-22-2015, 03:56 PM

Nice block! Neatly trimmed, looks like corners meet, what's not to like??? Good job there Flowergurl!
Originally Posted by Flowergurl View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523162[/ATTACH]

This was my practice block.
This is my first time everyone so be gentle with me.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Billi's right...WOW (white on white) or plain whites are simple ones to start with. Kind of takes the worry of color choices out of it when you give the person exactly what they are looking for. Also, WOW is easy but if someone wants "teal", there are many to chose from so pick something that you feel compliments the fabric you rec'd. One person's idea of teal may be different than another person's teal and we all know that. Remember to breath and have fun.

Measure as you go to make sure all your pieces are coming out the correct size as you sew them together. It's easier to measure after each seam if the block is new to you than it is to sew the whole thing and then "unsew" the block because it's off an inch or two. 12 1/2 inches square is your goal so do your best to get as close as reasonably possible to it. There are lots of lovely, simple and classic blocks so pick ones you think you will enjoy making and take it slowly. You will be fine. Oh, and when you are done, be sure to neaten up the back. Turn it over, and trim any hanging threads or dog ears you might have missed and then take a pic and post it here and i'll add it to the gallery. (Try to keep your pix to 100kb or smaller to ease page loading.) But really, Flowergurl, just make something you'll be proud to give away and you are practically guaranteed to have a winner!
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
you are too funny I was very scared the first time. I bet your choices will be great My advice start with everyone that requested wow or plain white that is the easy ones once you get a few done you will feel more confident in the rest of the them. and as far as messing up that is what seam rippers are for or even "design choices" when you just cant make the block work as designed.

Last edited by Janice McC; 06-22-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:09 PM

Thanks, I hope the real ones turn out as nice.
I bit the bullet and cut out the blocks for most of one real block.
I have a 12.5 inch square i use to trim and square the blocks.
Was my red practice block to big? I have no idea what size it was..

Last edited by Flowergurl; 06-22-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:33 PM

I have done several "controlled" t-shirt quilts. I only allowed the kids to give me 12 shirts. I cut off the arms and slit the sides. Then, I iron on the cheapest interfacing that Jo-Ann sells, using a large press, not a regular iron. Usually only 99 cents a yard (before coupon). Then I decide on the size of my block and use a large ruler to square them up. Depending on whose t-shirt I have, that can be 12 1/2 up to 15 1/2 inches. Then I use sashing and cornerstones to put the blocks together. I have quilted them both on a long-arm and on my regular machine. Attached is one I did as a fund-raiser for the library where I used to work.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523176[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
Billie I didn't go back a page and see your previous quote about the t shirt quilt. Thank you for the information!! Ive watched tutorials about it but not sure it ever gave the kind of stabilizer to use. I can always ask the "experts" at Joanns I guess! Thanks again...your quilt is beautiful!!
Attached Thumbnails 2013-wagnalls-memorial-donation.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 04:39 PM

Biblistone very nice t shirt quilt. I have never made one. My oldest dd runs marathons and ultramarThons but she is not ready to give up any of her T's yet
Old 06-22-2015, 04:40 PM

Oh, and I got my package today also. As usual some spoke to me immediately and others are just sitting there taunting me. Those are the ones that I struggle with and do last.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Ok...things are buzzing here on the QB Boom 15 Swap! Been really busy getting my sewing room organized for the landing of the "Big Squishy" ......and it came today! YYYaaayyyy! Doing the Boomer Dance. Have all my little F8s in my project notebook and will finish selecting block patterns tomorrow. I have to do Traveling gramma first and post it! so I can return to sleeping again

Billi, that is such a fun quilt...I would bet that one is loved for sure! And Kass......I would have to say that you may be the first to have a flock of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Chickens". Are they mixed gender or just girls ? Sorry, I am visualizing a full-grown naked Rooster...that could set the chicken population back 100 years.

Flower girl.....I have to say I was really intimidated throughout my first Boom Swap. I wanted to attempt some really pretty block patterns....so I chose several that called for a number of 2 inch finished squares and 2 inch half/square triangles. BIG MISTAKE! Getting the block to finish at 12 1/2 inches square was challenging and not fun! I realized that there were many patterns that incorporated the use of 3 and 4 inch squares - just as elegant - with a better chance of achieving the required 12 1/2 inches. I also learned to give myself a little "air" (less than an 1/8th of an inch) when cutting of strips into squares. When cutting half-square triangles, i.e. a finished 4 inch half-square triangle, I cut my strips 1/2 inch larger - so instead of 4 1/2 inches - I cut 5 inch squares, cut them on the diagonal and after sewing together, trimmed them to 4 1/2 inches to give me a good finished at 4 inches within my block.
Now if that doesn't confuse you, you are way ahead of me when I started! Willing to help anytime and is everyone here. Looks like you are off to a great start!

Busy Beeing
Old 06-22-2015, 04:51 PM

Got my squishy today, but it will have to wait. Headed to Walt Disney World tomorrow to vacation with kids and grands!!
Old 06-22-2015, 04:55 PM

Billi,

I forgot to tell you that the reason that quilt "rocks" is that is has been "Buckeyed" ! You are talking to a born in southern Ohio - Buckeye here! Grew up on the Riverfront in Portsmouth.....and we had lots of chickens......but no naked chickens that I recall.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by bibliostone View Post
Oh, and I got my package today also. As usual some spoke to me immediately and others are just sitting there taunting me. Those are the ones that I struggle with and do last.
Ooops! It's Bibliostone who is the Buckeye! Looking forward to sharing Ohio stories with you in September!