Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group >

Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group

Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group

Old 06-24-2015, 04:36 PM

So those that have done lots of Boom swaps, do you tend to go through all of the blocks & pick out your fabric or do one block at a time with the fabric choices? Just curious.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:44 PM

I tend to do one block at a time. I start w/ easy fabrics, like a specific color I have, or fabric or themes that inspire me, then work towards the more difficult for me.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:12 PM

I open the big baggy, pull out an envelope baggy , read the note, pick fabric and sew. I never have looked ahead and picked someone's fabric first. Not anything wrong with that, I have just never done it. I only do 1 block at a time and pick the fabric then....Just easier for me. Think it's just a personal preference and what you feel comfy with.
I try to use as much of "your" fabric as I can, not because I don't want to use mine but because I think it makes a more co-ordinated quilt and you sent your fabric for a reason...you like it! Just my opinion..it makes me sad when someone only uses a 4" square of my fabric in a block for me.

Last edited by jaba; 06-24-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:21 PM

I usually do just like Jaba but I am leaving in the morning for two weeks so I took each one out and Found the coordinating fabric and pattern, cut them out and placed back in their Baggie. This was for the 2 month group. Hoping to find some time to work on them I like the fabric to speak to me that's why I personally can't use everyone's fabric to make the same block
Old 06-24-2015, 06:26 PM

I am not a prewasher so I go about it a little differently I find everyone that requests wow or white make sure I have the whites I want to use and wash if needed. Then I go through each of the other bags and pick out a couple of different possible fabrics set them together and take a picture. I sometimes forget which is which. After washing everything I start 1 block at a time usually it's a fabric that I saw and had an immediate idea on what block I thought would look good for it.

I know sometimes it doesn't always look like it but I do try to make a block that will look good in that fabric, these swaps have been great for me to learn that better
Old 06-24-2015, 06:28 PM

I have no set order. Just try to do one that inspires me. Some fabric gets pushed to the end because I have trouble figuring out what to make with it.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:48 AM

Pretty block! I'll open up the gallery for this group in a few days when a few more have been posted.

Be sure to check out the blocks being made by Beignet. You can use the gallery as a tool to help avoid duplicating blocks that have been made in Beignet as a few people are using the same fabric for both groups. If there's duplication, I don't think it's a problem, just some boomers don't want to make a block that's been made before. The blocks are the maker's choice so please stitch a block that you want!

Originally Posted by Muse&Sew View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523353[/ATTACH]
Here is my first block for terri. Hope it's not too bright for you. It's the Savannah Variation.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:37 AM

Muse,

I have a 3 inch ring binder that has 20 plastic/zippered inserts for each squishy. When I receive my F8s, I load them as I draw them from the big squishy. I read the instructions for each one and pull fabric that I know I will need per the instructions and enclose it together with the F8 in the zipper pouch. If I need fabric I don't have, I make a note then to take a snip-it of the F8 fabric to make a swatch for my shop for FQs.

I never decide on a block pattern in the beginning because I know I will change my mind down the road for the later ones. I make blocks in the order they come out of the bag.....unless it is a very difficult one.....I get that one off my mind right up front. (Like TG's stripe). I like to get the instructions understood early and get PM's out or post questions early.

Originally Posted by Muse&Sew View Post
So those that have done lots of Boom swaps, do you tend to go through all of the blocks & pick out your fabric or do one block at a time with the fabric choices? Just curious.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM

This is my first boom, but i like to get fabrics selected and questions asked.
That way when i have the free time to sew, everything is ready and waiting for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:01 AM

I get the fabric out look at color choices the ladies want. I Let the fabric talk to me get the ones done first that I have a hard time with. I do 2 or 3 blocks a day.