Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group >

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Old 01-28-2018, 07:25 AM

Thanks everyone. I’ll just label myself a slow piecer. I learned a lot from piecing both of these and I know I’ll get faster as I do more. It’s always a joy to learn.

the sales woman at the shop was really good. I went away from there thinking the green block would be a piece of cake. I didn’t realize this was advanced piecing.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 01-28-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:55 AM

Wonderful job! You'll get two quilts from this swap then! LOL
Originally Posted by maudeflanagan View Post
I have gone through everyone's fabrics and requests to kind of assess what my next steps would be. I really enjoyed doing that! I then went through my stash and pulled my usable fabrics that align with color schemes and requests. While they were washing/drying, I made a practice block for one of my favorite fabrics of the bunch. I plan to make a practice block for every block I make and my husband has already claimed the quilt that comes from the practice pieces.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587830[/ATTACH]

The pattern is called "Stack of Stars" from Moda Bake shop. I hope to make the "real" block tonight.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:05 AM

MJP, one thing with piecing is that sometimes it's necessary to think of the 1/4 inch seam line as the "fold line" instead of the stitch line. If you stitch ever so slightly off that line to the right (your "scant" seam), your fabric will fold in the proper spot. Scant is only a thread or two off the mark. The thicker the fabrics and thread you are using, the more you might need to go scant on your seams. It's trial and error. And you may not be terribly proficient at traditional piecing, but you're fabulous at applique. Me, um...applique...not so much. We're all better at some aspects of quilting than others.
Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Thanks sewbiz girl for the encouragement on piecing. Because you have made charity quilts, you usually get my pieced blocks. I know they can hold up in almost any washing and drying conditions. You are always so supportive with my efforts. Is this boom quilt a charity quilt for you too?

Thanks also for the bonus block tip. I think you always make me a bonus block, which is greatly appreciated. I always feel like I should be reciprocating but most of the time I can barely finish the 19 blocks. I feel much less now guilty now.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:11 AM

Looks like you mailed it! Great block.
Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Here is the Carrie Nation block for quiltermomma. I’ve decided to count this as all three of my pieced blocks as I took this apart and put it back together three times to make sure it was 12 1/2 “ and the points matched well enough. I hope this is the type of fabric you are looking for.

My stash is mostly orange, fuschia and purple. This was the only fabric I had that seemed to fit the bill. The fabric is more subdued than appears in the picture.

How you ladies make those fantastic blocks with all the triangle points that match is beyond me. It’s a good thing I only do three pieced blocks each boom. Maybe by the time we are on boom 45 I’ll have the piecing figured out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587891[/ATTACH]
Old 01-28-2018, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
MJP, one thing with piecing is that sometimes it's necessary to think of the 1/4 inch seam line as the "fold line" instead of the stitch line. If you stitch ever so slightly off that line to the right (your "scant" seam), your fabric will fold in the proper spot. Scant is only a thread or two off the mark. The thicker the fabrics and thread you are using, the more you might need to go scant on your seams. It's trial and error. And you may not be terribly proficient at traditional piecing, but you're fabulous at applique. Me, um...applique...not so much. We're all better at some aspects of quilting than others.
This is an awesome explanation, Janice, and a great lesson for all of us. The 1/4" is the fold line! Genius.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

MJP, that star is amazing and it doesn't matter how long it took you to piece it! Careful work just takes longer.

Some people think that picking out a seam is failure, but it's just an opportunity to make it better. I pick and resew all the time, and not just in quilting but in all sewing. If it isn't just right the first time, it will be the second or third.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:46 AM

Sad to say but I knew about the scant 1/4. I just wasn’t making it scant enough. I like visualizing the fold line. That’ll get me the correct scant amount. I watched Gracie and Frankie when I picked out seams so at least I laughed a lot.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 01-28-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:11 AM

Another thing on the scant 1/4” is the thread you use. I sew with Aurifil it is very thin, if you use a heavier thread it can effect your 1/4 inch
Old 01-28-2018, 11:55 AM

I have completed my first boom block! It is for Sewbizgirl. I hope you like it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587928[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 5dd072c1-3572-406a-8032-487c3c6f68ea.jpeg  
Old 01-28-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by maudeflanagan View Post
I have completed my first boom block! It is for Sewbizgirl. I hope you like it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587928[/ATTACH]

After seeing your first block, Maude, I'd say you are definitely Boom material! Beautiful job! Well done.