Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 07-08-2018, 03:12 PM

It is lovely to look at what everyone is up to and Gram E. I had a question about the bordered star. Did you use inset seams?

SBG, I am glad you are staying put if that is what makes you happy. It would be so sad to move to a city if you prefer living in a rural area.

Regarding grandmas both of mine were not biological and neither were particularly affectionate. However, I learned from both of them and glad they were part of my life. I know this may sound odd but until I wrote this, I didn't realize that I have never had a biological grandma. I do know that my maternal step-grandma one Christmas gave us obvious second hand presesents while giving her biological grandchildren expensive new toys. She explained it away that we were older. I was eleven at the time and the oldest of us three siblings. I didn't like it but it just was what happened and I really didn't think about how it would be different. My step dad's mom was much nicer in that she always made sure to give us something special for each holiday and had nice meals for each one. We were just getting to know each other when I was a preteen when she passed. She taught me the value of making moments by planning gatherings.

Anyway, my palms are healing and I plan to finish more blocks this week. Thank you for all the photos and inspiration.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Libster you finished with a bang! I thought I had lost the instructions so I had PM'ed Stafar to only find out she didn't include any. I like how the extra bit of color isn't he corners helps the the orange and focus fabric stand out.

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Here's my last two blocks for the Dunes group. First one is for PamelaOry. It's a Patched Geese. I didn't have a single thread left from those polka dots!
Second one is for Stafar. I didn't have any requests or instructions in mine , so I winged it. I hope y'all can use these. Now, on to the Waves group!
Old 07-08-2018, 03:47 PM

Made for JayneW. I hope it fits with your panel!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597467[/ATTACH]

I went to the library today and got a stack of quilting books with blocks in them. I’m looking forward to seeing what else I can find! Funny they don’t have the 1000 blocks one.
Attached Thumbnails 2d7a8a6c-af73-47a5-a1bb-3b6189997123.jpeg   84e4179e-bfba-49b1-b52e-7d0538b7f654.jpeg  
Old 07-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

What a beautiful star, GramE... and great fabric choices. Was that an Inklingo?

Pamela, your star is cool... reminds me of a galaxy. ("In a galaxy, far far away...")

edited to add: I like that Christmas Friendship Star too!

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 07-08-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:09 PM

Stafar I had emergency surgery to remove my gullbladder in February. I felt so much better afterwards it was incredible. But I was very tired and it took me awhile to build my stamina up. Baby yourself and get lots ofrest

Gram E love this block

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597436[/ATTACH]

Jayne sounds like a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy enjoy and enjoy some more.

Pamela pretty friendsip star block
Old 07-08-2018, 04:26 PM

SewBiz, yes it is. A new pattern she issued recently.

Darcyshannon, it is hand sewn. I use a computer program called Inklingo that prints the cutting and sewing lines on the fabric with your computer printer. I am confined to bed frequently so being able to bring my sewing with me has been a wonderful mood booster. If I remember correctly this Star is called Starlite.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597470[/ATTACH]
This is what it looks like. You cut on the solid lines and sew on the dashes. I had never tried hand sewing before I stumbled across Inklingo. But now I can say in 4 years i’ve completed quilts and many Boom blocks without leaving The confines of my recliner. It has been a sanity saver for me. The second best thing to come into my life in the last few years, second only to Quiltingboard. And there is a free section so you can try it out for free without an monetary investment. My first hand stitched, hand quilted project was from the free section. I’m not a sales person, I think it’s not for everyone but there are many who enjoy it. Myself among them.
Attached Thumbnails 98ed0461-5bdf-4cfd-b0f7-154cef6d580c.jpeg  
Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post

Pamela, your star is cool... reminds me of a galaxy. ("In a galaxy, far far away...")

!
galaxy was what I was going for! Whoot!
Old 07-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Stafar, hang in there. I also had my gallbladder removed about 15 years ago, other than a little scar on my tummy, I never even think about it. It was such a relief to figure out why I had been feeling bad.

Pamela, I really like the block, thank you.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 AM

Stafar, I had my gallbladder out last year, emergency surgery also. Allow your body to heal and build your strength back up gradually. It takes some time to feel yourself again but it's so worth it in the long run. Just don't push yourself.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:39 AM

Pamela, your blocks are very nice. Love your fabric choices!

GramE, the fabric in the middle of the star block make it look like its dancing or swirling. Very nice work. I'll have to check out Inklingo. It sounds interesting. I'm happy you have found a way to continue to sew.

SBG, your home location sounds wonderful. Great family memories are made with camping and bon fires, and yours are in your own yard. Very cool.

DarcyS, blended families can be difficult enough. Age isn't a reason to be treated unfairly. Sorry you and your siblings had to experience that. Glad you had a good role model in your step dads mom.