Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 06-27-2018, 03:42 AM

SBG great blocks, a few of those designs are new to me.
Pamela, great first block!
GramE I like that block, what's the name of it?

Jayne, how nice you had such a great time on your trip.

Last edited by Cheesehead; 06-27-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:15 AM

Holy Monkey-those blocks are amazing. I am seeing how I am going to have to do practice blocks before attempting the real blocks, I'm just not getting the 12.5" all around. Not sure if I need a scanter 1/4" seam or what it is I'm messing up on. At least if I use red, white and blue my practice blocks can be made into a quilt of valor with some sashing and trimming.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 AM

Stafar, it's a bit different making blocks to an exact size for others. Watch your cutting. It's got to be exact. Measure after putting two pieces together to spot your size differentials before you've gone to far and joined a dozen pieces. I could tell you of the horror of the last 24 hours with my "scant" seams but suffice it to say, I pieced and re-pieced sections of the block I was working on. Ridiculous but that's just the way it goes sometimes!

And for everyone, when you measure, be sure to use a hard acrylic square or ruler and press your pieces first before placing them under the square. It's the most accurate way. Please don't use the cutting mat for precise measurements as they almost never are correct. And no measuring tapes, or metal rulers or "guesstimates"

Originally Posted by Stafar View Post
Holy Monkey-those blocks are amazing. I am seeing how I am going to have to do practice blocks before attempting the real blocks, I'm just not getting the 12.5" all around. Not sure if I need a scanter 1/4" seam or what it is I'm messing up on. At least if I use red, white and blue my practice blocks can be made into a quilt of valor with some sashing and trimming.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
SBG great blocks, a few of those designs are new to me.
Pamela, great first block!
GramE I like that block, what's the name of it?

Jayne, how nice you had such a great time on your trip.
its #960 in book 10 of the magazine 100 Blocks. Not sure it has a name but I will check.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:14 AM

Thanks GramE, I have that book and will look up the block!
Old 06-27-2018, 05:16 AM

Kass, that spectacular block almost makes me want to try the tumbling blocks, I love yours but it’s very stressful for me to pull off. That is a difficult block to keep straight. Even with the new easy put together rules.

Darcy, I love what you call the simple blocks. A block made in the pattern you have mastered is a wonderful gift. When I look at blocks made for me, i’m Amazed at the kindness of women i’ve Never met helping me make a beautiful quilt. They are all treasures.

Pam, great ChurnDash. Everybody’s favorite and you put a spin on it!

SewBiz, I sometimes wonder if you sew in your sleep! Great blocks.

All the blocks are wonderful.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Stafar View Post
That’s why it’s nice to have 2 or 3 go to patterns you have mastered, Stafar. Then you feel confident and comfortable about cutting that little piece of fabric up.. I was so nervous my first time....... even makes me shiver now thinking about it.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:52 AM

Pamela and Gram E somehow I missed your blocks.

GramE great block For TG, love all the movement

Pamela your pinwheel Churndash turned out great, it also has lots of movement. Great job
Old 06-27-2018, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Kass, you are so creative! What a great setting for those kaliedoscopes!

PamelaOry, that's a lovely churn dash pinwheel!

GramE, I love your red,white and blue block! What block is that? I need to add it to my collection, for sure.

D.Henson... re: your problem block: I'd be tempted to try sewing the whole block back together with slightly fatter seams. Only slightly, because they add up!
Old 06-27-2018, 05:58 AM

GramE, take a closer look at that tumbling block, it is not made with 60 degree triangles, the front of the block is straight on, not on the side like most, so it is true squares for the front (I happened to make those squares w/ 4 triangles). You make square in square, set them on point. Putting the dimensional square in the specific layout was obnoxiously complex, but just having stacked cubes would be a lot easier.

Stafar, when I use a pattern I always double check the sizes they give, or make my own pattern. So many use scant 1/4 inch which I don't like to sew much so I use my own sizes so I can use real 1/4 inch seams. Like Janice stated press and measure after each unit is sewn, if you spot a mistake early it is easier to fix. Some units can be sewn big and cut to the right size. I don't like using that crutch b/c it is so wasteful, but for some complicated (to me) units I do that. Oh and don't be afraid of "sizing or starch" (I prefer sizing) it makes sewing especially bias edges so much easier.