Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 23, Night Owls 3 month group >

Boom 23, Night Owls 3 month group

Boom 23, Night Owls 3 month group

Old 09-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Susie, picking the pattern then the fabric or vice versa use to be a real challenge. Now the fabric practically speaks to me for a certain block pattern. If the fabric has a large print I like to keep the pieces larger and that limits the amount of block patterns to choose between. If it’s a small print and the sender is ok with more then 2 fabrics the possibilities are endless. For those asking for only 2 colors my brain shuts down and I really have to look at a lot of patterns till I find just that special one. The more blocks you make the easier it should get. Try to relax and have fun.
Thank you for the encouragement, Terri. I think I have more trouble with the larger prints because I want to show them off as much as I can. And the 2 color can be a challenge but I think I have those worked out. One of the blocks I finished is for you , plan to get it posted by tomorrow or at the latest Saturday.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
if you find a pattern that went together easy for you and one that you like, make it for a couple of fabrics. I’ve done that before. Amazing how the same pattern looks different in different fabrics. And having confidence in it before you start is a bonus.
Thanks GramE! I know I'm making it harder than it has to be. It's a good idea to use the same pattern with different fabrics...just need to pick the pattern!
Old 09-05-2019, 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=sewbizgirl;8297841]Suzi, don't be intimidated! Simple blocks can look great in a quilt, too. And I agree that it takes more time to find the 'right' block pattern than to make it! Look forward to seeing your blocks. We will all oooh and ahhhh.

Thanks SBG, I just don't want anyone to be disappointed, so it is a good idea to use as simple block and maybe reevaluate the blocks I've picked out.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:57 AM

MJP -- love, love, love my funky tree. What a cool concept! Thank you!

I already bought a cranberry/burgundy minky fabric for the backing of this Christmas Quilt -- my goal is to put it together immediately after receiving my blocks. Merry Christmas to me!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Suzisew I have the same problem. I started out a rank beginner piecer and with boom help I've moved to advanced beginner/intermediate. For my first boom I made lots of sample blocks.

I have a lot of trouble with two color blocks also. I also hate cutting into beautiful flower fabric and try to find quilt block patterns that keep the fabric pattern intact.

I also prefer applique because I like the creativity. I think my blocks tend to be hit or miss. The boomers have been very encouraging.

I think you are doing great. I love the simple blocks too because they usually have more room for FMQ in them. FMQ (free motion quilting) is my favorite part of quilting.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:10 PM

Libster I love the big boy quilt. The boom blocks always make a great quilt. Sometimes fewer colors are better. I really like the sashing you chose for the quilt as you go quilt. It really frames the blocks well. I've used quilt as you go once and it is nice working with smaller squares. Your grandson is lucky.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:47 PM

here's hubbies blue and white quilt. It turned out to be 116" X 116". He wanted it huge he said so it woud hang over on our King size bed. I think it will [ATTACH=CONFIG]617071[/ATTACH] And here is the other one[ATTACH=CONFIG]617069[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]617070[/ATTACH] Not great pics but you can see the pattern of this Christmas quilt.
Janice, hope the meds are starting to work with your system and that you are on the upswing battle with it.
Attached Thumbnails dscf4098.jpg   dscf4097.jpg   dscf4096.jpg  
Old 09-05-2019, 12:48 PM

MJP love your block for Irish Mom, very creative

Wow Wow wow Jaba, it is huge and gorgeous. Love the colors
Old 09-05-2019, 01:14 PM

Jaba, I love both of those quilts! Lucky DH! The blue one is gorgeous. And you know I love purple.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Those are gorgeous quilts, Jaba! I am amazed at all you get done! Love the two blocks in the blue quilt. I'm sure your hubby is pleased.