Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 24 - Signups now open thru 2/18*** >

Boom 24 - Signups now open thru 2/18***

Boom 24 - Signups now open thru 2/18***

Old 02-11-2020, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Wish I could help you, B'stone, but I haven't even found my main fabric yet! Still working on that...
Old 02-12-2020, 07:02 AM

Good morning, Boomers! Sign-ups are progressing albeit slowly this round. At present, I have 9 confirmed in the 3 month group and 3 in the 2 month group. Anyone who has expressed an interest in the swap, please make sure you've sent in your email to me. As there's nearly a week left in sign-ups and I have a several people sitting on the fence, we'll see what happens in the coming days. Anyone considering joining us, please jump in! It's always more fun with a lot of people but I'll run a smaller group as well. There are new quilty friendships to be made as well as blocks!

In the meantime, I hope you are having a good week. It's hump day so the weekend isn't too far off. Have a wonderful day.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:31 AM

I would like to do the 3 month group... I just need to make sure that the piece of fabric I am wanting to use is actually big enough. It's a piece of yardage that I bought from a fabric destash that is not what I remember the picture looking like when I bought it. I feel like this group would do a great job of making something fabulous out of it.

I'll let you know tomorrow after I wash and measure. We need about 18 fat eighths right?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingLawyer View Post
We need about 18 fat eighths right?
Usually 19... And welcome to this swap! We love to get new people.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:36 PM

Quilting lawyer, basically it’s one for every person in your group to a max of 20 people per group. If the groups fill, you’d need to send 19 and keep one for yourself if you wish. Hope that helps.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

If the signups continue to be skimpy, I don't have a problem with combining groups or switching to the 3 month group. Whatever works!
Old 02-12-2020, 09:28 PM

I won't be able to participate this time. My plate is overflowing. In fact, my plate is running all down my sleeve, into the floor, and all the way out into the yard. The plan was to start doing my craft fairs much earlier this year because DH's work hours had been cut, so some extra pennies would be helpful. Then about 3 weeks ago, I started having pain and a weird bulge just above my belly button, and finally ended up going to the doctor. He confirmed what I was thinking, and sent me straight to a surgeon.

I have a great big 5-6" non-reduceable hernia that needs to be fixed "yesterday", because it's at high risk of becoming life-threatening. They've got me on a "watch", and if anything at all changes, I'm to drop everything and run to the ER immediately. In the meantime, I'm not to do any lifting or straining whatsoever. I had all the pre-op testing done on Monday (fun), and I have robotic/laparascopic surgery scheduled for February 20. Ironically, the surgeon feels that the hernia was caused by a laparascopic procedure I had done in 2004, so it seems strange to me that he's going to fix it using the same method. He's got excellent ratings, so I guess (hope!) he knows what he's doing. LOL! I'll have mesh to make a wall (of sorts) to close off the hernia. He showed me a sample of the mesh. Being a fabric person, you know I had to touch it! It's basically a white plastic-looking screen with hexagon-shaped holes. It's stiffer and has a rougher texture than I would've imagined, but it's supposed to be the best. The surgeon assured me that I wouldn't be able to feel it, but said that, at first, I'd swear up and down that I could. He said that sensation is just part of the healing process, not actually the mesh itself. He said it'll most likely be done on an outpatient basis (good!), and that I'd have a drain pump thingy for a week afterwards (ugh). I'm not sure how long the recovery time will be. Another irony is that, during all of this medical stuff, DH's work hours have picked up again ... but he's having to take off work to take me to all of these appointments. Doesn't that just figure!

As he can, DH has been helping me iron and rotary-cut things for my craft fairs, to keep me from lifting or straining my tummy muscles, so at least I've been able to continue sewing. I'm planning to put together some freezer meals tomorrow so I don't have to worry about cooking after my surgery. Just thaw 'em and pop 'em in the crock pot. I did have to cancel out of two of my February and March events, but hopefully I won't be down for long. I intend to bounce right back afterwards! (I'm just not sure how bouncy I am anymore, with all these gray hairs that keep popping out. LOL!)

I'll be watching from the sidelines, and oooh-ing and aaah-ing over the blocks. Hopefully I can do the next Boom, time ... and bounciness ... permitting.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:27 AM

That’s my thought. We’ll see. Still waiting on a few people to decide.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
If the signups continue to be skimpy, I don't have a problem with combining groups or switching to the 3 month group. Whatever works!
Old 02-13-2020, 05:35 AM

Moonrise, I’ll be thinking good thoughts for you and your surgeon. DH had this same procedure a few years ago and within a few weeks he said if he hadn’t known he had it, he wouldn’t know. He feels nothing and his navel is back to normal. Just a small scar. I hope yours goes as easily as his did. Check in with us post-surgery and let us know how you feel. Btw, sounds like your DH is a keeper. Hugs.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:51 AM

Janice, sign me up for the 3 month group. I'll send you my info today. Thanks again for being such a wonderful hostess!