Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 25 -  Flurries 3 month Group >

Boom 25 - Flurries 3 month Group

Boom 25 - Flurries 3 month Group

Old 12-04-2020, 12:07 PM

Well my blocks are off and the amazing post office is supposed to get it to Janice Monday. Frankly I'll be happy with Wednesday or Thursday.

Things I learned in this boom.
1. Two booms is probably not for me. I'm just not fast enough. I finished up with a day or so to spare but if I had gotten sick or something else had come up I would have been in trouble.
2. I'm getting better at piecing but my best blocks are still the applique blocks but piecing is becoming quicker than applique.
3. I'm at loss of what do with fabrics like the fun ones Have4boys sent. Tried piecing, tried applique, wasn't happy with either. Need to work on this.
4. Sometimes even light grey thread still shows for piecing and I need to be more careful about the piecing thread I use especially where lots of points meet.
5. If I send a companion fabric make sure the value is different than the focus fabric. My 3 month was successful. My 2 month not so much. Send the most (8 1/2" square?) I can.
6. I always seem to do well with Terriamn and TravelingGrammas fabrics. Not sure why.
7. I'm getting better with blocks that only allow you to use one other color but they are never my most creative designs.
8. I always learn something new during the boom and am in awe of the blocks I receive.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:04 PM

That is some list MJP. I loved both of your blocks- the silhouette and cowboys hats were perfect . You do have a gift for applique. When I started I didn't do any applique, my 1/4 " was all off, and squaring to 12.5 was a nightmare - so I did a lot of paper piecing. But over time, I learned to play more, get out of the box, and move away from safe.
The best lesson - do not compare your block with anyone else's.
I love this swap - and enjoy you all.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

That was a good list of observations, MJP. I have always been quite pleased with any blocks you have made for me. The main thing I want to encourage you to do is just to keep playing with us! Looks like we will have a little break before the next Boom, so we'll all be rarin' to go when the time comes for Boom 26.

I also have enjoyed all our teammates. Hope everyone likes their blocks when they get them. Usually they are even more amazing in person!
Old 12-05-2020, 06:12 AM

I mailed my package out yesterday and sent Janice the tracking number, estimated delivery Monday. (I hope but not holding my breath.)
MJP, I am with you. Doing both booms was a little too much for me. Next time I will only do one.
I've loved all of the blocks that I've received from past booms. I'm sure it will be the same for this one.
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:03 PM

These are three more blocks for Jaba, TravelingGramma and Klaws. Getting down to the wire now.
Attached Thumbnails 12-420_0001.jpg   12-420_0002..jpg   12-420_0003.jpg  
Old 12-05-2020, 12:54 PM

I love that I learn new stuff every boom. Learning is one of my favorite things! It’s fun to get better at something at my age. I’m Getting better at tennis too. My DH and I are taking tennis lessons every week and I’m improving.

for all these things it helps that I’m not in the advanced category. It’s easier to get better the closer you are to being a beginning! I’m working on Spanish too. That’s really slow because my memory is so bad. I took Spanish 101 eleven years ago at the community college. They wouldn’t let me take it again so I’m taking Spanish 102 in January. I’m. Doing a big review right now. I’m ok with barely passing the class I’ve always wanted to live in central or South America for a year. Maybe one day....

always a pleasure booming with you folks.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:42 PM

Good evening, Boomers! Hope you all are having a good weekend. I expected a package to come in today but it has been delayed so it, along with two others, should arrive on Monday. We're getting close to being done, ladies! Annt, I see you are really powering through your remaining blocks. Lovely work.

MJP, like you, I enjoy learning new things. Good luck with your Spanish! Right after the first of the year, I'm expecting to be able to really put my mind to FMQ. I tried out a little sewing last night, and I do mean a little, and I was able to finish my block for myself finally. It was 6 weeks in the making. Granted, it's easier to maneuver a couple of small pieces of fabric than a whole quilt but I feel a bit of confidence that I haven't felt since the surgery. It didn't hurt at all. Woo hoo!

I'm off. Have a pleasant night. And my block is below. An Aunt Dinah I believe.
Attached Thumbnails f-jj-jj.jpg  
Old 12-06-2020, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Was anyone in this group involved in sending 9p with sashing blocks to IceBlossom, for a comfort quilt for Jaba? If so, please pm me.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:10 AM

Thank you Annt59 for my block. It's perfect!

Old 12-07-2020, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Was anyone in this group involved in sending 9p with sashing blocks to IceBlossom, for a comfort quilt for Jaba? If so, please pm me.
I didn't know anything about this. I feel left out. I would love to be included.