Boom 31 Spring

Old 04-24-2024, 02:57 AM

Good morning! It's a cool but beautiful morning. I'm about to head out to a neighbor's house to have a cup of coffee and chat for an hour. Then it's a walk and the rest of the day is open.

Hope you have a grand day!
Old 04-24-2024, 04:19 AM

Beautiful blocks Libster, my favorite is the block you made for TG.

Been busy doing yard work and trying to keep up with the prickly kudzo (sp) vines. I must really be out of shape because I ache everywhere! Still have more work to do before we can think of heading back to Wisconsin next month.

Old 04-24-2024, 05:04 AM

Wish it was warmer here, it's only 39 right now, last night was 34 and tonight 34. UGH. It is supposed to be 77 on Sunday. Weather whiplash for sure. I also have vines that need to be cut back, but it's hard to get motivated to go outside when it is in the 30s and 40s. Fingers crossed, we typically start planting geraniums the weekend of Mother's Day, only 2 1/2 weeks away. Can't wait! So last night I worked on the Sewing Basket BOM by Laundry Basket Quilts, and tonight will work on piecing some backing as well. Hugs all!
Old 04-24-2024, 06:59 AM

Libster love all your new block.

My Mother’s Day gift from hubby every year are the big pots of geraniums from Costco. Have had them for a week now, taking them outside during the day and bringing them in at night. It is so nice looking out the window and seeing their beautiful blooms. I also bring a tub with geraniums, asparagus fern and odd and end flowers back and forth with us to Texas. They are sitting in the window but will start introducing them to the outside again very soon.

Janice I would prefer to fix mine also. I cut a piece freezer paper 12.5”, spritz the block, iron the block to the freezer paper and pin it to my ironing station to dry. The vast majority of the time this works for me

Driving into Minneapolis today to pick up my oldest dd at the airport, she is coming for my granddaughter’s wedding shower on Saturday. Will pick her up, go to an early dinner and watch my grandson play baseball. He is a junior in high school and an outstanding baseball player who is hoping for a baseball college scholarship.

It should be a beautiful day today,

Old 04-24-2024, 12:47 PM

Since I am the one with the blocks to small, I feel funny saying I would rather fix blocks myself. Definitely know I should measure. Every time I have measured, they were right on. Lesson learned. I am so perplexed on who this happened. Checked my printer and my templates are the printing correct. Think I am going to take my machine in for service. Maybe I need service. lol.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:06 PM

Noooo Kathy three of my blocks were too small when I went back and measured after being in baggies, so I remade outside parts with "scant". I like the mist and pin method too. I've also noticed that when I starch and iron them after taking them out of the baggies, it can really shrink them as well which is my own fault. Hugs!
Old 04-24-2024, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

I can't help but think that misting and stretching with the iron won't last. Once the fabric cools, dries and relaxes, it will return to it's natural size.

I can't get the proper size if I sew full 1/4" seams. I sew scant quarter inch and use the magnetic seam guide to ensure I don't sew wider. That usually gives me a teeny bit to sliver trim around the blocks. Or not. Sometimes they just come out the right size by sewing the scant quarter.

My Juki has a scant quarter inch foot that makes it really easy to follow. On my old Bernina, I have to move the needle one click to the right to get the scant quarter. Both work well.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:40 PM

SBG- I love moving the needle on my Bernina record. Wish all machines did this.
I hate scant. Who came up with this?? I want my quilts to last and those scant seams make it very difficult. especially when some fabrics unravel easier. UGH
finished With rant!
went to get a massage today as my NH chiropractor is off this week and my neck/TMJ/etc where causing pain. She worked miracles . Then came home and soaked in jacuzzi. Ahhh

Old 04-24-2024, 04:54 PM

Reba and I share the same weather and I bet LogCabin has similar too. It was a bit brisk this morning even this afternoon the sun was warm but the wind was February like. Looking forward to the weekend and some warm breezes for walking about the neighborhood. I am considering raspberry hot cocoa tonight before bed. Yumm.

I struggle with the 1/4 inch too. I have to eyeball it too often to get that scant thing. I will have to try moving the needle just a click to the right. (After I change the face plate of course.) Now and again, it comes out perfect and I cheer! More often it means pick, pick, pick and restitch just a smidge.

Making progress on one of my classes. I am on a roll and must keep going so I can sew tomorrow afternoon with my Zoom group.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:17 AM

Good morning, Boomers. Supposed to be a great day here. We’re spending the morning with the grands. The youngest is so in love with my DH that she doesn’t want to share him. lol. That means my oldest DGD and I will have some quality time together. It should be fun.

So, scant seams. I have to sew a thread or two smaller than a quarter to make up for the folding of fabric. If I don’t, I come up short. I measure units often. I can never assume I’ve sewn on the mark because that’s when things go sideways for me.

As a reminder for everyone, I check a few blocks from every package, every boom, for size. If all looks good, I move on. I do not check every block. Yes, too small and too large blocks do get by me but I cannot measure 350 blocks. The time involved is incredible. That’s why I rely on you all to let me know if there’s a serious problem with blocks so we can address the issue, fix it and make better blocks the next go round. I don’t ban people from the Booms when they’re working on improving. Those that don’t care are not in the next swap. And please note I do lightly press each block I check so I’m not measuring crumbled fabric. Imho, stretching blocks is only a bandaid for the problem. Making blocks come up to 12-1/2 inches is the goal for me and most of the time I achieve it, but not every time. I’m always working on it.

I am deeply appreciative that Hav is making a substantial effort to fix the blocks I’ve sent back. I have no doubt she’s going to do her best and I commend and thank her for it.

Hope everyone has a lovely day!