Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang 3.0-CLOSED for Signups--(SWAPPERS PLS READ PG 155) >

Boomerang 3.0-CLOSED for Signups--(SWAPPERS PLS READ PG 155)

Boomerang 3.0-CLOSED for Signups--(SWAPPERS PLS READ PG 155)

Old 08-05-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
I, also, have looked at the previous boomerang swaps, but I haven't seen a finished quilt. Could one of you direct me?
Look near the end of the Boom 1.0 version. I think one person has completed hers, and it's really nice.

I'm still waiting to decide what to do with all these blocks I have now ... my 1.0 block fabric was so very busy that I want sashing in a calming color to give the eyes a place to rest. As for 2.0, I'll be getting on this sooner; I bought enough extra to use for sashing/borders. But I'm still waiting for a block or two.

Odessa

ps - Montanablu, I have an idea of "who" you are, but I'm not quite sure --- yet! I'll have you figured out soon enough!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Hi all! On my way to get my fabric. I'll post a pic later. But I wanted to say that I do not like pink. I know...what kind of woman am I? I just never have liked it. I do like brown with aqua (blues) love wild prints and outdoorsie type stuff. But I will also send a note with my squishies. Lol. I'm soooooo excited!

I looked at the past boomerang swaps to get an idea of what its all about. Wow am I impressed! I only hope I can do as well as everyone else.

Woo hoo!
Me, either. Can't stand pink, it's not my favorite color at all. And it's not a "politically correct" thing to say, but I'm sick of everything that is being sold in pink with a "donation to help fight breast cancer". I give to that cause, but I don't want a home full of pink gadgets!

Guess I'm just not much of a "girlie-girl", either! (But one of my kids makes up for it in spades!)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Well here is my fabric. it is a kind of bright lime"ish green. so I am sure almost anything (no pink ) will go with it. I am so excited!

I am a little disappointed in how the color looks iin the pictures. Pic looks a little drab, it is quite nice in real life.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-92111.jpe  
Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM

thanks, I looked up the quilt, it was beautiful. Hope mine turns out as neat.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:59 PM

GRRR-just cut my 8ths-can they be called 8ths if you can only get 6 11 x 18 out of a yd? I guess if I wasn't so determined to use my stash it would be easier. The worst was the fact that when I cut my first fabric I didn't really begin thinking how to fit 12 8ths in 2 yds of material-I ended up with 2 17x11 squares-I ended up only getting 11 true 8th out of the 2 yds with a lot of other small cuts. The width of the fabric had to have been 43" with an inch of selvege. The second piece I thought and figured in my mind the best way to cut and wouldn't you believe I cut it 11" instead of 18"-taking a breath I did end up being able to cut 12 8ths out of the fabric. My since I had more of my 3rd fabric I could easily get 12 to make my finished 35 8ths.
Whew-just needed a little venting! ;-)
Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM

[Guess I'm just not much of a "girlie-girl", either! (But one of my kids makes up for it in spades!)[/quote]

I have one of those!! She grew up to be a jewelry store mgr - go figure! She gets to buy all the bling she wants (single, no kids to spend her $$ on :) lol

re: dual indentity---So you think you know huh??!...maybe!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Isn't a fat `1/8 9" x 18"? this is my first swap on this BB and I want to get everything right. Think I'm going to be using 30's repros and probably everybody will get a different one. I'm looking to have everybody use unbleached muslin and/or solids to go with the fabric.

I'm excited about the swap and can't wait to start.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:20 PM

I'm fine with 18 x 11 but I always thought a fat 8th was 9x22. I used to work in a quilt store and this is what we cut. Since I haven't bought my fabric yet and haven't cut it I'm good. Am going shopping next week to get the fabric.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlin
I'm fine with 18 x 11 but I always thought a fat 8th was 9x22. I used to work in a quilt store and this is what we cut. Since I haven't bought my fabric yet and haven't cut it I'm good. Am going shopping next week to get the fabric.
It is 11X18. If you go back to page one and reread the first posting from April you'll have all the info you need.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlin
I found the following definition for a F8 somewhere online, and printed it out for myself so that I have it to refer to. I don't often have to cut F8's, so it's helpful to have the definition on hand:

"FAT EIGHTH: An 1/8-yard piece of 44/45" fabric that is cut in differently than a traditional 1/8-yard cut, which measures 4-1/2" x 44". To get a fat eighth, a traditional 1/4-yard piece of fabric (9" x 44") is cut in half crosswise, yielding two 9" x 22" pieces, each of which is a "fat" eight yard."

HTH,

Odessa

Edited to add: If you cut a half yard piece {18" x 44"}, cut in half along the crease {18" x 22"}, then cut in half again in the same direction {18" x 11"}, then you will also have 1/i yard of fabric in your cuts. You ought to be able to get 8 pieces from a yard if you do it this way, too, and I don't know that anyone really cares which way it's cut, as long as they have a decent size piece to work with.