Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang 9.0 PACIFIC O Group Thread >

Boomerang 9.0 PACIFIC O Group Thread

Boomerang 9.0 PACIFIC O Group Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM

For me, I need the full 4 months now. I only have 1 evening and part of one day in the weekend to sew. That's if I don't have laundry etc piled up. Dad "helps" in some ways but I know I couldn't go any faster any more between work, Dad & life.

I also don't think it would be fair to the hostess to have to keep track of different deadlines and help send the reminders at different times. It's very time consuming for her as it is and to add to her "duties" to me wouldn't be fair.

I also don't think I could afford to squeeze in another swap. I know I send much more than the required f8 but I don't want anyone to have a challenge with my fabric ... wishfully I wish everyone would send a smidgen more or at the very least, send the minimum size. This time around, I have received more "shorted" pieces than I ever have. I also have received more "too small" blocks than ever before. Between the cost of fabrics and postage, it would be difficult for many to join (in my humble opinion).

Perhaps instead of the traditional friendship swap, you could host a similar one "Quick Switch" or "Speedy Swap" for anyone that wishes to move along quicker. With all the other swaps, I doubt if there would be a problem having another one that overlapped with the Boomerang swaps...but you'd have to of course check it out.

I don't mean to sound grouchy (I can't breathe through my nose ) and we have just returned from a quick trip to see Dad's brother (600 miles in 2 days) which will probably be the last time he ever gets to visit with him due to cancer so there's been no sewing all week for me. If the Booms go to 3 months, I'm afraid I'd end up passing on them and I'd be sad about that (and so would Dad).
Old 03-30-2013, 05:53 PM

Time is not an issue for me, this time, but in the last swap I think my family was having a "who can stay in the hospital longest" thing going on. I know they weren't and I shouldn't joke about all the illnesses and surgeries, but thank God all is doing well now. So at least, for the moment, time is not an issue, but I understand not everyone is retired. I worked 12+ hour days and alot of days thru the years raising my daughter as a single Mom. I know how time can be an issue for some. I thank April for hosting this and for all her time, especially now with her surgeries. I'm game for what ever works best for everyone. Just PLEASE help me not miss the sign ups!
Country1
Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 PM

In the end April decides, just thought it might be an idea to have 1 or 2 that could do it sooner if desired. We'll see. Haven't done an update for a long time so will do that now. All F8's have been received and yours have been mailed back. If you don't have it please let me know. According to my records I am waiting for my block to be returned from the following, if you have sent please let me know and I will "relook" : ninakk. 2 blocks side swap, arizonakat. babyfire04, cuppy, girlscouts1, lovingizabella, lovingramma, missgigglewings, navarre2011, okdarla, roseysue, scrapper, and tracibug.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:43 PM

I have a question for you ladies: Would anyone be offended if I used blocks from the boom (this and the one from the fall) to make quilts either for gifts or donation to our local children's receiving home? I had intended to use almost all of the blocks for both to make a single quilt for a niece but it she wants a specific kind of design.

I don't want to offend anyone by "giving away" their work and that's why I'm asking.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TheMamaHauser View Post
I have a question for you ladies: Would anyone be offended if I used blocks from the boom (this and the one from the fall) to make quilts either for gifts or donation to our local children's receiving home? I had intended to use almost all of the blocks for both to make a single quilt for a niece but it she wants a specific kind of design.

I don't want to offend anyone by "giving away" their work and that's why I'm asking.
Mine are almost always giving as charity.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Of course not mamahauser. You are very gracious to be so giving. Moonwork, I certainly understand your and others situation. I have the time, but not sure about the $$ to do them to often
Old 03-31-2013, 06:02 AM

mamahauser they belong to you, nice way to use them. I sent in a bunch of left over blocks this year to a lady on the board. Her guild was making quilts for sick children in their local hospital. Use them, way better than having them lay in a drawer.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 AM

Many people on the boom are making their quilts for charity so I can't see any reason why you can't do the same. I know that I would be pleased to know that my block went to make anyone smile no matter if it was made for a family member or charity.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 AM

I have given this amount of time for the boom some more serious thinking and I like it staying at 4 months. I know that there are some who are anxious to get their blocks back and the quilt all made but I was thinking that knowing that it is a 4 month turn around............that it gives me plenty of time to plan when I will finish in the future. I know really have any family members asking for a quilt to be made real quick or special events coming up suddenly that I don't have at least 6 months or more to think about. I am slow at putting the quilts together as I do the quilting myself because I can't afford to pay a long arm person to do it. Also the cost of postage going up...having less turn around...means 4 booms instead of 3 and the cost goes up. I can also relate to those who work and have other duties to fulfill. So I hope that it stays at 4 months.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:00 AM

Happy Easter to everyone.

MamaH -- it would be a pleasure to know my blocks went to a needy person as well as knowing it was at your house. The choice is yours to enjoy the blocks in what ever manner you decide. Many people know up front that they want the blocks to be used for charity purposes and share that goal on the board or in their notes. I am happy to make the blocks and always hope they bring joy and comfort to some one....who ever, where ever they end up.