Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 09-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Banned

the blocks look great. i don't mind some of the same fabrics across the blocks.

many of my blocks use different color fabrics but all from the same Moda line so they match on that level.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

sandpat

thats just terrible that the fabric ran, i hate having to scrap work.

i got so annoyed the other day with a block that i just chucked 2 of them in the trash and stomped out of my room like a big baby.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

okie

i don't do a lot of applique with the satin stitch - it is one of the harder methods to do.

you need high quality thread and its best to use some type of stabilizer under the fabric to help support the stitches and then you need to be careful not to distort the shape of the fabric.

i typically use a blind stitch, blanket stitch, or a zig zag on my applique pieces.

when we do the DJ Cyber Party i plan on putting up a tute for all the applique blocks that i do.

most of u know how to do traditional piecing and now we've tackled paper piecing - so really the most needed thing by the masses is all the various applique methods for the DJ blocks.

i will try to convert some applique blocks/triangles into paper piecing where i can and i'll post those patterns/changes for everyone but the detailed photo tutes will be applique.

i'm sure others that do their blocks differently from mine will be happy to put up tutes on how they put the block together - so we'll have lots of help along the way.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by crkathleen
Ok, I've completed 1 block of my 2nd set. I hope ya'll don't mind me repeating one of the fabrics. The other block only had a small amount in it.
I think your blocks look great!! Don't tell anyone but I'm repeating the same fabric too. Couldn't help it since I've managed to royally mess up both blocks.. I figure if someone doesn't want that block because it has the same fabric, then they can maybe make a hot pad, coaster or something else with it for Christmas.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

crkathleen, you blocks look great! I'm not at all worried about a repeat of some fabric...I'm doing it too I think. It will just help tie things together in MHO.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:16 AM

I'm not concerned with repeated fabric between sets of blocks, heck I did it. With so many swappers and blocks we might not even get the same fabric.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:18 PM

Ya'll know I'm doing E-10... it's applique... and applique and I do NOT get along..(unless it's on the embroidery machine.. then I can do it easily).. I've redid this block I don't know how many times.. even have a full set (which will not be sent to ya'll) that I totally messed up somehow. The little melon thingy (and I used the size from the software) is to big, meaning it extends into the 1/4" seam line. Ok, so I redid it yesterday. Used kosmos instructions to the letter.. and guess what? They are still to big!!! :evil: :roll:
So I did the next best thing... I used Steam a seam 2 and got them all fixed, made sure that they didn't extend into the seam line (had to decrease the size of the melon thingy).... So now do I handstitch around the melon thingy, or do I machine stitch? And with what stitch? Here's what they look like..
Attached Thumbnails attachment-8473.jpe  
Old 09-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

they look great, there's nothing wrong with fusible applique.

my girlfriend won AQS Des Moines this year and the entire quilt is fusible applique.

i would do a blind stitch or a small zig zag stitch around them.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:37 PM

:wink: To me your picture looks fine. I would be happy to have one.
I printed out the block from software and couldn't anything wrong other than it is small than the book.
Wondered if your template with 1/4 inch was used then another 1/4 inch added as you cut out.
But no matter the block looks great now.
kosmos
Old 09-27-2009, 07:04 PM

Ok, call me a glutton for punishment but Klue, can you send me the PP instructions for LS-10. I don't want to commit myself to it yet, but let me give it a try and I will let ya'll know in a few days. :D