Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
December Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 1st. >

December Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 1st.

December Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 1st.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:50 AM

No but it was in my city. That's from a few years ago. I always go by this farm that has goats and this year they added turkeys. I went by there a few days ago and all the turkeys are gone.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Pat, kinda creepy when I pass by a turkey farm. about haloween, they are all so big and fluffy. about today, only an empty yard with lots of feathers. Does anyone know how long they get to roam the yard b4 they become a dinner/ I mean the average turkey, how long does it take for him to big enough for a dinner. one year, two, three or just in a year they reach that point. kinda creepy, to talk about, , I know. Mary, you have a farm, any input???
Can't wait to get my partners name. hope she likes what I send.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I only raised a few turkeys and they were ready to butcher at about 8 months. If they get to old they are tuff. Same with chickens.Frying hens or stewing hens. difference is how old they are and that says how tuff they will be and how much longer they need cooked. I like to eat so I got used to butchering and eating what we raised. It took quite awhile to eat one of our own steers. I don't butcher the steers to big of a job for me. But we do it .
Old 11-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Mary, is it creepy to have it roaming one day, the next on your plate?? I brined my turkey breast 8 lbs. and came out super moist, it was dripping juices, if that's what you want to call t. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
Mary, is it creepy to have it roaming one day, the next on your plate?? I brined my turkey breast 8 lbs. and came out super moist, it was dripping juices, if that's what you want to call t. Thanks for the info.
Not at all, it is delicious (not to be morbid). We have raised turkeys before. They are great as they gobble gobble every time you step out the door, they are wonderful pets. Ours would run along the corral fence as we drove out of our driveway.

The pleasure we had of giving turkeys to those who were out of work at our church made up for the loss of the turkeys. We plan to raise turkeys again next year, hopefully. We get ours around March and they are ready by November. Nothing as moist as fresh turkey.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:45 PM

The turkeys here didn't seem to be here that long. I know they weren't there this summer. I go to this butcher place to get my beef and they used to say that the cows that were out in the front field were the next ones to go. I did raise chickens in my little chicken coop and then my uncle came and then they were gone. After that I raised homing pigeons. Karen came over this afternoon and we had a great visit.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

Pat , maybe the turkey chicks were inside where they could be kept warm until old enough to stay outside.Glad you had a good visit.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Pat glad you and Karen had a great visit.WHat did the two of you do?

I'm really intrigued by this turkey thing. So they hatch around March, and then you get them as babies. Linda, is that right. Interesting they are like pets and follow you around. they put on that much weight in about 9 months to be ready for the table??? That'a a fast growing bird., but I heard birds grow fast anyway. So am I right in saying that they pretty much hatch all year long, there isn't a season, and then they all go to slaughter in October/November.
this is so interesting, as I know no one who has a farm and don't know about these things, and am courious about it.

Like Mary with her cute little bulls. Last time it was white, this time is black. But do cows have a season like kittens and puppies have a heat season? Living not on a farm, I need to know these things.

thanks
Old 11-30-2014, 12:55 PM

Mary they could have raised them in the barn first but that door is always open. Maybe they got them from someone else. I know they have 4 black cows and 5 big goats in one field 5 miles from them and then another field full of smaller goats. They are leasing the land from the National Park. Today I saw 3 turkeys so they must be for Christmas.

Lynnie we just stayed here and talked and I showed her all my mess. I couldn't go out and leave mother home alone. Too bad she doesn't live closer. Like a few cities away.

I'm still shopping. But today I bought something I actually needed. In order to make my rosettes I have to mark and then accordian fold the papers so I found a large scoring board and now I just need to put the paper on it and then use the score lines to make the folds. I've been on Pinterest and found more ideas. Got to get off it
Old 11-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Yes Lynnie,cows have a heat cycle too. It's about every 21 days for less than 1 day. Pat sounds like a nice visit. I try not to go to e-bay or pinterest or itsy very often. Costs me to much time and money. Love looking though.Is the board a pleating board? When I got my turkeys I bought baby chicks. I had to keep them warm with lights until they were about 2 months old. Then with the warmer weather and them huddling they stayed warm. If your neighbor got older turkeys they wouldn't have to keep them warm. They are kinda dumb though. I've heard they will look up to watch a storm and drown in the rain.