Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
December Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 1st. >

December Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 1st.

December Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 1st.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Mary, thanks for all the farmy info. I like to know about stuff like that.
Do they just fall over dead from drowning? It must be a sight to see.
I thought chickens did that. That's what you get from a non country girl.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:55 PM

Tomorrow is the last day to sign up. Please pass the word. We have about 15 so far including me. I will be passing out names first thing Wed. morning.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:12 PM

I kept looking to see if anyone was posting and couldn't figure out why you all were so quiet. I later thought about everyone being on the Dec thread. Well I missed everyone for a couple of days, but I found ya! I've been on line christmas shopping and getting a few items for the house. I know what I am making. It is suppose to be an ornament, but I think I can make it into a pincushion and a matching nc. I don't know about anyone else, but I have had my fill of turkey.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Lynnie my mom use to say that the chickens were dumb, but maybe it's a blessing considering what happens to them. she said that in the chicken house if they spot a earring they will go right to it, and gobble it up.

Lynnie you are a bit more country than before since you have lots of country friends now.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
Yes Lynnie,cows have a heat cycle too. It's about every 21 days for less than 1 day. Pat sounds like a nice visit. I try not to go to e-bay or pinterest or itsy very often. Costs me to much time and money. Love looking though.Is the board a pleating board? When I got my turkeys I bought baby chicks. I had to keep them warm with lights until they were about 2 months old. Then with the warmer weather and them huddling they stayed warm. If your neighbor got older turkeys they wouldn't have to keep them warm. They are kinda dumb though. I've heard they will look up to watch a storm and drown in the rain.
Turkey's can be sweet and even pet like. But, they are STUPID! We decided we were going to raise a breed of turkey that were more like wild turkey's, an old "undomesticated" breed. Once they outgrew the brooder and were feathered out we put them into a large chain link run with a beautiful coop. Those kooky birds found every possible way that they could kill themselves imaginable.

The very last one, that we , in fact, had grown very fond of......flew headlong into the chain link fence and we found it hanging by its head in the morning.

Either we or the birds were too stupid to successfully raise them. I like to believe it was the birds....but it could be that we were the stupid ones. lol In our own defense we have raise hundreds of other fowl and at one point had 8 incubators in the house hatching out eggs. Our kids raised and sold chicks, pullets and eggs at the time.....they've outgrown the farm stuff (Our little place was named Fowl Weather Farm) and are on to other more exciting adventures. I miss those days!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I never personally seen one drown only heard about it. I know they are not very bright. Mine were kept in a chicken house.(big enough for me to walk around in. also had a pen attached about 15 ft x 15 ft.) anyway one of the turkeys got out so I picked it up and held it over the pen fence (about 6 ft. high) and let it fly to the ground like I did the chickens. It just fell. Didn't flap its wings at all and it died.Mine where white turkeys like you get in the store for thanksgiving. I've had wild turkey.(I'm not talking about the liquor lol).It is very moist and is like dark meat on a store bought one. Very tasty.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:32 AM

I had seen on tv this wealthy woman got a farm and started raising stuff. Animals, vegetables and she had turkeys. So the interviewer asked her how much she was charging for her turkeys. When she said $160 I thought no wonder she is rich and who would buy one. We have a lot of wild turkeys but I haven't seen many lately. They always travel in packs.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post

I'm really intrigued by this turkey thing. So they hatch around March, and then you get them as babies. Linda, is that right. Interesting they are like pets and follow you around. they put on that much weight in about 9 months to be ready for the table??? That'a a fast growing bird., but I heard birds grow fast anyway. So am I right in saying that they pretty much hatch all year long, there isn't a season, and then they all go to slaughter in October/November.
this is so interesting, as I know no one who has a farm and don't know about these things, and am courious about it.

Like Mary with her cute little bulls. Last time it was white, this time is black. But do cows have a season like kittens and puppies have a heat season? Living not on a farm, I need to know these things.

thanks
Lynnie, turkeys lay eggs all year round. And turkey eggs are great for baking too. Most hatcheries hatch out lots of turkeys in early spring so they are available for purchasing. We have gotten our turkey chicks from our local feed store around March. Then, they are big enough by Thanksgiving. We once had a turkey who weighed 35 pounds. It had to be cut in half to be cooked. You know, chickens that you buy in the store are only about 10 weeks old.

When we raised miniature Irish Dexter cattle, I learned a great deal than I ever knew. Cows come into heat. If a farmer wants to regulate when calves are born then he/she only lets the bulls in the pasture when they see the girls mount one another. A cow's heat cycle is about every 3 weeks. Gestation is about 9 months. About 2 years ago we sold our small herd. We miss them but not the extra work!

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 12-01-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Linda, My son's father-in-law raises Dexters. very cute.Like a big dog. His are like mine,as far as named and petted from birth,so they are gentle. I've always had chickens for the eggs,Cyotes got my last few a couple months ago.I miss seeing them walking around free in the day. We closed them up at night. My husband missed one night and they were killed. Makes me mad they only took off with one after killing all of them (5)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

Wow, everyone, thanks for all the infor. I love learning new things. Tell me more. so they will run into things, like chain link and killed themselves. or when dropped, they don't know to flap their wings. kinda stupid . Very interesting really. love reading it all, so if you want to tell me more, i'll gladly read it. On the other side of the golf course, I heard there's a bunch of wild turkeys, (the bird, not the drink, but then again it is the golf course!) Do the wild ones fly??? How did they get there. do you think one or two of the farmers gotout and flew over here, about 1/2 mile. or maybe they walked over? I don't know. Can those big birds get off the ground. So the ones in the stores are only about 10months/14 lbs? We don't have wild life, like wolves around here. pit bulls yesh, but they are mostly on chains.
Mary, are you getting new chickens? what in the world do those turkeys eat to gain so much weight in only a few months.