Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
The Fablous Five-IRR3/Group 5 >

The Fablous Five-IRR3/Group 5

The Fablous Five-IRR3/Group 5

Old 08-22-2010, 10:22 AM

Well a little about me. I have 4 children. 2 of my own Adam 30, Ashley 25 and 2 step children mark 28, Alex 24. All grown thank goodness. Only one is married my son Adam. Unfortunatly no grandbabies yet. I learnt to sew from my grandmother who was a seamstress for a department store when I was 10. I have only been quilting for about 3 years now. I learnt the basic 9 block from my sister who was taking classes at her church. I self taught myself the rest. I am an artist and work with oil painting, pottery making, anything at all to do with crafts and using my hands I love. My most favorite thing is applique. I feel most at home doing that because I feel like I am painting with fabrics. Just learnt paper piecing. I love things that are one of a kind. I am working on lots of things in my head but have started the round robin, lap quilt, christmas presents, a wall hanging, banner for my church. way too many things but I'll get to them. I use quilt shop fabric and any other fabric I can get my hands on. I love to yard sale, My passion is gardening (flowers), I don't belong to a quild, although I am secretary of my garden club. My husbands name is Steve and I have two pugs (avatar) Mickey and Lilly that I just adore! I am a Special Needs Teacher by profession at the High School level. Love my job of 14 years. Very much into my Church. Love Life! and my Fabulous Five!!!!!

Andrea

Thanks for sharing Kathi
Old 08-22-2010, 01:08 PM

I have been quilting for two years, and I really enjoy it. I started when I was given some fabric, and a machine. I decided to do it, and muddled through my first quilt - some cottons, some not. All blue, 9 or so inch square. It was a twin sized quilt, and I didn't have a seam allowance, none of my points were matched, etc.

The next one was worse...
Then, I found out about swaps, and started doing stuff like block swaps, secret pal swaps, and doll quilt swaps. I got a lot better, and can now say I feel like a quilter. I do pick out patterns in tiles, and I would prefer to quilt over almost anything else. Wasn't like that when I started.

I do all of my sewing on a treadles sewing machine. I enjoy it and it is fun to do. I sort of collect them - I have21 machines, and 12 of them are treadles...
My favorite one is in my profile picture, my davis vertical feed!!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:39 PM

Oh My Gosh! Emily I can't believe how many machines you have!! I love the look of the old machines and would love to try and sew on one. The one in your avatar is stunning!!
When I made my first quilt it came out lop sided!!! Oh well I still use it. I just fold it and you can't see it!~ lol
Old 08-23-2010, 04:57 AM

Yea!!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Montanablu I sent out my center to you this afternoon.

Fablous Five I got an e-mail today from tihi. It is about overseas shipping. Since none of us are international I just put it in my file.

Cbridges do you like applique? I am thinking of ideas for your center.

Kathi
Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 PM

Thanks! I really enjoy collecting them :)
If you want, I can post pictures of some of them...

On a RR status. I've ran into a dead end when I figured out that most of my civil war re pros are fat quarters and thus are not working out for the Carpenters wheel. I decided to do a different pattern...

Princess Feather. I'm getting the Muslim hopefully on Thursday, and will start working on it the same day/Friday..
Sorry for the delay, this is really frustrating - I want to work on it now!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:10 PM

About me.Yes I love applique Kathi,I just am not good at it.
I am married to Tom and we will celebrate our 27th Anniversary in Dec.We have 2 children Canan-30 who has 2 more years of residency at OSU and Maghen-25 who is in banking.We have 3 g-children Xavier-10,Rayven-8,Gideon-6.I am a self taught quilter and not by choice.My mother and g-mother were wonderful quilters but while they were alive I was never interested in learning but loved there work,after they died my husband bought me a sewing machine he thought I would like to learn to sew(not)so when my daughter became pregnant I decided to make her a baby quilt and that was 8 years ago.My first quilt was snails trail and I almost gave up after that,I have never quilted it but still have it.My next was Oklahoma twister and I did it in polyester,didn't know I was suppose to use cotton.I lived in Colorado a few miles from Ricky Tims studio and gallery and became interested in quilts that have dimension and movement and fell in love with batik fabric.I love bargello quilts and Tom and I did one together. I have just started paper piecing and enjoy the exactness of it.I have 2 Christmas quilts going,a Christmas stocking and a few UFO's.
I am a home health RN and have been for 27 years.I am originally from Mississippi,lived there till I was 8,moved to Dallas,Tx. till I was grown then moved to far North East Texas where we raised our kids.We moved to southern Co. 1996 and lived there for 10 years.We came to OR. at our sons request as he was given a full scholarship and wanted the family to stay close together.We are hoping to retire to the gulf coast in 12 years.I am 53 and very involved in City government,I am on city council,and on the board of CCT,which is a community theater.I act,direct,stage manage and do anything else they need help with.I am a avid gardener and camping and kayaking are my other loves.I have a strong faith and quilting is suppose to be relaxing but so far it seems to cause tension.I don't belong to a guild and don't know other quilters.I buy most my fabric at myLQS but fabric stores also.Don't think I left out anything.I am so looking forward to this even though it causes me great stress.I will never get better at quilting if I don't push.The part of quilting I hate is the quilting part but love to piece. Cindy
Old 08-25-2010, 04:17 AM

I love the info on each of us. I think it helps to get this IRR to gel and become friends.

Cindy how lucky you are to have Ricky Timms!!!!!!!!!!!! We have Gwen Marston. Will be going to her retreat in fact in just one month. can;t hardly wait.

Cindy if you don;t like the quilting process don't do it. That is why people like my daughter who machine quilt make a living. lol

Off to take a machine embroidery class. I have had my machine for about 4or 5 years and last night was only about the 3 time I have had the embroidery unit on it. Chat more soon. Kathi
Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 AM

OMG Emily. I just looked at the princess feathers pattern. It is just beautiful. I think that would make a gorgeous center. I have my idea for round one all set. I will be getting it first!~ yeh!!!! I just have to see the colors you pick and I'm ready to go!!! Are you looking for an antique look? I hope so.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by abonda
OMG Emily. I just looked at the princess feathers pattern. It is just beautiful. I think that would make a gorgeous center. I have my idea for round one all set. I will be getting it first!~ yeh!!!! I just have to see the colors you pick and I'm ready to go!!! Are you looking for an antique look? I hope so.
Where did you go to look at the princess feathers pattern? I want to see tooooooo