Fall 2016 2.5" Charm Swap, signup ends Oct 14th

Old 10-11-2016, 09:00 AM

You can Google other swaps, too!
hugs,
dj
Old 10-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aborning View Post
I, too, love doing these swaps to gain or variety of 2 1/2" charms. Wish I could find more groups at other online sites to do swaps. If anyone knows any other groups that do swaps, I would appreciate the info. TIA.
Next February sign up for the Birthday Swap. You send 50 candies to each member on their birthday, so when it's your birthday you get a flood of them! It's a lot of fun, but a serious one-year commitment to about 30 members. Because they are birthdays, you have to be on time.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:04 AM

I did see that swap but can't participate until it starts a new year again. Should be fun.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:01 PM

I was wondering about other swaps too, but this is the best one I've done online or off. I was so pleased with the squares from the summer swap DJ hosted that I plan to keep on with this group. Thank you all who participated in the summer swap, and especially DJ for hosting.

Looking forward to this one being just as successful.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:13 PM

I sent my 2.5"sq out today. The B-Day candies swap sound like it would be fun. I think I will try it when it come up.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:53 PM

I prefer Quilting Board swaps because the shipping cost is less. I have participated in swaps outside of QB but those hosts have little guarantee of swapper fabric quality or cutting skills so I often received unusable charms from those swaps. If a QB swapper sends polyblends, broadcloth, or otherwise unusables they can receive negative feedback and not allowed to join a swap until they can build their stash properly. I have received really nice fabric from overseas in some outside swaps, but oh my, shipping costs are rarely justified. IMHO

We must all support new quilters so that their projects will be quality. I take classes once a year to learn new techniques, don't want my projects to end up in a garage sale! I use broadcloth to audition new blocks & try to master the block before using good fabric to make a block to keep or swap. Relatives & friends want to keep my projects. Have a written plan to disburse stash for any untoward happening. Don't let quality fabric go to waste!

Using a WordDoc worksheet where I list current projects, repairs, & a wish list, helps me stay focused and thwart those pesky UFOs, and update it about every two months. I love to look at QB Pictures thread for shortcuts, ideas, and admire other swapper talent.

I am a lifelong learner, so please teach me what you've learned on your quilting journey!!
hugs,
dj
Old 10-12-2016, 03:44 AM

The CuriousQuilter is starting a Postage Stamp Charm Swap. Charm size varies :1.5" or 2" or 2.5". Sign ups begin today, Oct 6 to Oct 20. See Sight for sign up instructions and sign up form.

https://thecuriousquilter.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by aborning View Post
I, too, love doing these swaps to gain or variety of 2 1/2" charms. Wish I could find more groups at other online sites to do swaps. If anyone knows any other groups that do swaps, I would appreciate the info. TIA.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:08 AM

Some friends and I have put disbursement plans for stash, machines and other quilty stuff in our wills. I wanted this long term investment to go to certain quilters that my family doesn't know. Donations of fabric to some charities end up being sold as rags for a tiny amount per pound.

We really can't expect non-quilters to recognize a large (humongous) stash as valuable.

Originally Posted by djmat View Post
I prefer Quilting Board swaps because the shipping cost is less. I have participated in swaps outside of QB but those hosts have little guarantee of swapper fabric quality or cutting skills so I often received unusable charms from those swaps. If a QB swapper sends polyblends, broadcloth, or otherwise unusables they can receive negative feedback and not allowed to join a swap until they can build their stash properly. I have received really nice fabric from overseas in some outside swaps, but oh my, shipping costs are rarely justified. IMHO

We must all support new quilters so that their projects will be quality. I take classes once a year to learn new techniques, don't want my projects to end up in a garage sale! I use broadcloth to audition new blocks & try to master the block before using good fabric to make a block to keep or swap. Relatives & friends want to keep my projects. Have a written plan to disburse stash for any untoward happening. Don't let quality fabric go to waste!

Using a WordDoc worksheet where I list current projects, repairs, & a wish list, helps me stay focused and thwart those pesky UFOs, and update it about every two months. I love to look at QB Pictures thread for shortcuts, ideas, and admire other swapper talent.

I am a lifelong learner, so please teach me what you've learned on your quilting journey!!
hugs,
dj
Old 10-12-2016, 04:11 AM

Mary, The Curious Quilter is a wonderful lady! Her international swaps require 100 different fabric charms & you can sign up for 8 sets in each of the three sizes. You are now required to send at least one international in each size plus a gift of 50 charms to 2 newbies in each size if you want to swap 8 sets. You will be shipping to the residence of your assigned swappers & their return to yours. It is a good way to build swapper information. Seasoned & newbie quilters are welcome. There is no guarantee of fabric quality or cutting skills & the shipping can be costly. I was in that swap for 3 years & had fun & received neat charms from overseas, but now I save the shipping costs & buy fabric with the money saved. I still miss that swap, tell Mary djmat says "howdy"!!! Have fun if you can join that swap!!!
hugs,
dj

Old 10-12-2016, 04:15 AM

I hear you, Annie! Non-quilters do not realize the cost of making a quilt either! Some do not even see it as Art!
hugs,
dj