Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
February Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-up ends January 31, 2015 >

February Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-up ends January 31, 2015

February Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-up ends January 31, 2015

Old 02-25-2015, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

Rosemary, i'm signed up and ready to go.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:59 AM

I'm signed up. I haven't started sewing yet, but I have it all planned in my head, so that's a plus.

Susan, we had a storm like that some years ago & a huge tree that we never saw before (it was behind our neighbor's house, not ours, but it was on the property behind him, so it wasn't his tree either!) landed on our house. The fire department left a love note on our door that they found our key (at least it was the good guys) & went inside to make sure no one was hurt. Well, DH & I were at work & the kids were in school, that left just the cats inside. The dogs we found at our neighbor's house who lives on a different street, because the tree also brought down our fence & he collected them & brought them to his fenced-in yard. The FD captain told my DH that if the tree fell just an inch or two to the left, our house would've been split in two. As it was, we lived with a tree branch sticking out of our bedroom ceiling -- & our bedroom is on the first floor! We lived like that for an entire year before we finally got the roof replaced, due to no one replaces roofs in the winter & the insurance company closed the case before the weather permitted work to be done & the adjuster left the company & we had to start all over again. We've had terrible storms since then, storms that have knocked out electricity (& everything else) for 12 days etc., but that tree -- a slice from the middle was big enough to make a table, but it was too rotten to actually do that!

So ... everybody stay safe!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Ctyankee, That was a horrible thing to have happen. What a huge tree. At least our trees that came down didn't hit our house,barn or sheds or the trucks. I did get some pings in my truck from the golf ball sized hail that came down just before the icy rain. I ran out to pull my truck in the barn and got so beat up from the hail I gave up and ran back in the house. It was like someone throwing rocks at me. It just seems so wrong to take over a year to be able to fix your house. Look how much more damage can be done from weather while you have to wait and live with it.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:40 AM

Looks like everyone has bad weather. I had the big flood last May that left 3" of water in my basement and I was lucky. My neighbor had his whole back foundation go into his cellar. I've been through hurricanes, NE winters and now here I have to worry about tornadoes. My son didn't tell me about them. Today my DM flooded her toilet and the water went down into the cellar and onto my sewing machine and and table but luckily only ruined a few pieces of fabric. I had a whole box of vintage Amish yoyos and the box got wet but nothing inside.
I hope everyone has a great day as it's really been bad out there
Old 02-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Oh my goodness Pat. Of all things to ruin your stash. Eww. Hope things go smoother for all.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 PM

Pat -- I have a story about a flood in our basement the year we moved into our first house (1986). Eight inches of water in the basement. I didn't get a chance to unpack all my fabric -- guess where those boxes were. All the reds ran ... & ran. All my books got wet as well. I was pregnant with our second child, so I just left those boxes till last. I find that most of the disasters we've lived through (not all, but most) take place in October. But to ruin a sewing machine
-- that is the cruelest cut of all! And the thought of tornadoes really scares me. I don't think I can live where you do. We only have little ones here in CT, when we do have them. And they're scary enough!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:00 PM

Actually, it was 1988 -- the first baby was born in 1986. I think my mind is going!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:06 AM

I did not lose hardly anything after all. Most of my good fabric is in plastic bins and in the sewing room. I did try the sewing machine and it's ok. It's a real old Singer so most of the parts are metal. I've gotten water in the basement a few times and that's why the good stuff is all in plastic. I did lose some yarn a few years ago but I have so much it wasn't even noticed. Mary do you live near Tyrone? I heard about it on the radio and boy that wasn't good.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Pat Tyrone is about a hour from me. That was a real mess. Not sure why he killed his family.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Banned

I will share a post I made earlier in the general chit-chat section.

To read the FULL post go visit the Chit-Chat area.

But the short of the post is that I am tired of "wasting" money
on my creamer and 1/2 & 1/2 at work.

So I bought a refrigerator from Home Depot for my office at work.

HERE is a link to the post.

Enjoy!